All Time Melbourne FC Moments

Everyone's ultimately responsible but I reckon other clubs would have had a better shot

Maybe, he was given leave in pre-season to go home to deal with some family issues and a few days later had allegedly attacked some one with a machete in a revenge attack. We'll never really know exactly what happened that night but I don't see any way to come back from that no matter how talented a footballer you are and how well run your club is.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Maybe, he was given leave in pre-season to go home to deal with some family issues and a few days later had allegedly attacked some one with a machete in a revenge attack. We'll never really know exactly what happened that night but I don't see any way to come back from that no matter how talented a footballer you are and how well run your club is.
I get that and it's way easier in hindsight but maybe a better run club would have sent some people with him. The Richmond boys went up to the tiwis to immerse themself when Rioli went up there. Maybe it happens regardless but we certainly weren't the pinnacle of well run clubs at the time.

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is this only for positive moments? Because if we can talk about some less than positive moments, there's a few that stick in my mind to give a more rounded view of what it's like to be a Melbourne supporter. (I'll ignore the obvious ones like the grand final losses in 1988 and 2000, and the 148 / 186 matches, because I don't think we need to go over those again.)

The elimination final vs Adelaide in 2002 was one of the strangest games of football I have ever seen, but sums up the Daniher years perfectly. We were capable of playing some incredible football in those years, looking unbeatable at times, but ultimately we were as flaky as all hell and just couldn't get it together consistently enough to seriously challenge. This game was the Daniher Demons at their absolute best and worst:

Then there's the Gary Ablett goal after 9 seconds in 2009. This sticks in my mind because of an article that Martin Flanagan wrote shortly afterwards, talking about being with a group of Melbourne fans who just started laughing when it happened. Perfectly sums up the kind of ironic detachment you sometimes need to be a Melbourne supporter and remain sane:

This, with no further elucidation necessary:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Is this only for positive moments? Because if we can talk about some less than positive moments, there's a few that stick in my mind to give a more rounded view of what it's like to be a Melbourne supporter. (I'll ignore the obvious ones like the grand final losses in 1988 and 2000, and the 148 / 186 matches, because I don't think we need to go over those again.)

The elimination final vs Adelaide in 2002 was one of the strangest games of football I have ever seen, but sums up the Daniher years perfectly. We were capable of playing some incredible football in those years, looking unbeatable at times, but ultimately we were as flaky as all hell and just couldn't get it together consistently enough to seriously challenge. This game was the Daniher Demons at their absolute best and worst:

Then there's the Gary Ablett goal after 9 seconds in 2009. This sticks in my mind because of an article that Martin Flanagan wrote shortly afterwards, talking about being with a group of Melbourne fans who just started laughing when it happened. Perfectly sums up the kind of ironic detachment you sometimes need to be a Melbourne supporter and remain sane:

This, with no further elucidation necessary:

Broke my small child heart. My favourite player goaling against us after the siren after Neitz basically fell on him

So my NFL team is complete s**t this season and even though AFL has barely begun their offseason I’m already ready to turn my attention south, to the glorious outback.

I was hoping you all would be gracious enough to regale this yank with the greatest stories and events of recent Demon history. What’s noteworthy? What should every demon fan know? Hopefully there’s video proof to go along with your tales, but if not, I’m prepared to take your word for it (especially so if PG will underwrite it).

I may also ask for a top ten list of the greatest MFC games of the last 20-30 years while we’re at it, so feel free to have that in mind while you search for your memories.

Thanks in advance!

Too far back? Not far back enough?

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
Apologies if it is out of the timeframe.

1987, Dees great run to the finals with so much going on. From this game when Garry Lyon broke his leg & Melbourne relying on other results to scrape into the finals.

Smashing North Melbourne, then Sydney & finally the Prelim with Jimmy running through the mark v the Hawks.

It was a fairytale run with a s**t ending but great theatre.

Yes that's my best Melbourne memory too. That whole last 8 weeks of the season when the team surged from what looked like being another down the ladder finish to that memorable game at the Western Oval when we made it into the finals for the first time in 23 years. I'll always be thankful to Dunstall for his 3 last minute goals that beat Geelong and put us there. My first year as an avid, one eyed supporter was 1967 so I had to wait until my 21st year as a supporter to see us make the finals and the elimination final was the first finals match I attended. What a game that was with us winning by what I think is still a record margin for an elimination final. A follow up massacre of Sydney and then that bizarre preliminary final against Hawthorn. I still feel it shouldn't be recalled as the day Stynes cost the team a GF berth by running through the mark, but instead be recalled as the day the AFL's failure to fix the problem of the umpires not being able to hear the siren over the crowd noise in close finishes at Waverley cost a team a GF berth. This was a problem the AFL had discussed at length a couple of years earlier when the same situation cost Collingwood a night GF there, but nothing was done. Despite being shattered and frustrated by that loss at the time I've come to see it as probably a good thing as the team had been so physically decimated by that match they would have almost certainly been slaughtered by Carlton had we made the GF … especially as Flower would have missed the game through injury. Better to end the season with such an incredibly memorable match I think. All in all, a great time to remember.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I get that and it's way easier in hindsight but maybe a better run club would have sent some people with him. The Richmond boys went up to the tiwis to immerse themself when Rioli went up there. Maybe it happens regardless but we certainly weren't the pinnacle of well run clubs at the time.
From what I understand about Jurrah's hometown/area is that white people are not welcome unless by special invitation - so I doubt we could have imposed that on Jurrah, let alone the community there. In fact, it might have led to something even more dangerous if he turned up with white minders.

From what I understand about Jurrah's hometown/area is that white people are not welcome unless by special invitation - so I doubt we could have imposed that on Jurrah, let alone the community there. In fact, it might have led to something even more dangerous if he turned up with white minders.

Don’t know about Yudemenu specifically but more generally that’s pretty normal.

People don’t understand just how dangerous remote communities can be, especially for white people. The people who have to go out there for work etc are generally locked into where they are staying and have very clear evacuation rules eg when an elder dies.

The Tiwis are relatively tame in this context.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Peak MFC was us missing out on finals by the all time smallest margin in 2017 but there are many moments to choose from. 187 at Kardinia. ‘Bottoming out’ in the compromised draft era. GC getting all the picks in 2019. Hulk Hogan turning into a crumbing forward. Losing 167 games straight at Etihad. Barry Prendergast. Mark Neeld. Lucas Cook.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Peak MFC was us missing out on finals by the all time smallest margin in 2017 but there are many moments to choose from. 187 at Kardinia. ‘Bottoming out’ in the compromised draft era. GC getting all the picks in 2019. Hulk Hogan turning into a crumbing forward. Losing 167 games straight at Etihad. Barry Prendergast. Mark Neeld. Lucas Cook.
Peak MFC will always be Jim Stynes walking over the mark and handing a 15m penalty to Gary Buckenara to lose us the '87 prelim. If you're old enough you already know this and it has scarred you for life. If you're not old enough, you should thank your lucky stars that you were spared this nightmare.

Last edited:
Peak MFC will always be Jim Stynes walking over the mark and handing a 15m penalty to Gary Buckenara to lose us the 86 prelim. If you're old enough you already know this and it has scarred you for life. If you're not old enough, you should thank your lucky stars that you were spared this nightmare.[/B]

Uhh clearly the scarring is so bad you forgot what year it happened!

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Peak MFC will always be Jim Stynes walking over the mark and handing a 15m penalty to Gary Buckenara to lose us the '86 prelim. If you're old enough you already know this and it has scarred you for life. If you're not old enough, you should thank your lucky stars that you were spared this nightmare.
Devil's number campaigner.

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.

Jeff Farmers 9 goals in a half vs Collingwood on Queens Bday game (Marquee game in our fixture). Reportedly didn't get a touch in the first half. Coach benched him before half time and took his name off the board (not going to play him again for the day). There was an injury which forced his inclusion and he did this.

thank god for Ben Beams

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
He should have finished as an all time great. AmericanAFL this seems like it's just his best stuff, he only played 30 odd games. This was him always. Complete freak.
I forget how good, complete mercurial he was. If him and Ozzy stayed on the right track we could be something special

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Peak MFC will always be Jim Stynes walking over the mark and handing a 15m penalty to Gary Buckenara to lose us the '87 prelim. If you're old enough you already know this and it has scarred you for life. If you're not old enough, you should thank your lucky stars that you were spared this nightmare.

If someone has video of this let me know.

I owe all the other contributions in here some attention, but to get me in the mood for football I’m sitting down to watch 2018 round 22.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If someone has video of this let me know.

I owe all the other contributions in here some attention, but to get me in the mood for football I’m sitting down to watch 2018 round 22.

That Stynes incident was so sad and so MFC. Do you know of the broader Stynes story? Absolutely tragic after such an incredible story.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
This was some real s**t

Attachments

• 31AB26F3-E584-4D21-B27D-FD6994FAB4E8.png
    31AB26F3-E584-4D21-B27D-FD6994FAB4E8.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 198
The ones that come to mind straight away in particular order

* Farmer kicking 9 in the second half of the 2000 Queens bday game
* Melbourne coming from 50 odd down v Freo at the G when we were poo around 2009-2011. Wonna kicking a bag
* Lyon kicking 10 in a semi final v Bulldogs in 94
* The merger game v Hawthorn where Neitz kicked 7 or 8 and Dunstall kicked 9 I think. We lost but still an electrifying game
* Neitz missing a mark then coming crashing through and destroying (legitimately) some Bulldogs player. Possibly breaking his collar bone
* Green kicking 4 in the last quarter v Carlton in a final in 2000
* Schwarz putting on a masterclas v Carlton in the 94 finals. That take from the ruck, blind turn and couple of bounces before kicking the goal was magical. Oh what could have been if his kness held up
* Insert several Jackovich games in 92-93. Posibly the 9.8 or something he kicked v North

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
* Insert several Jackovich games in 92-93. Posibly the 9.8 or something he kicked v North
11 goals 8 ... 19 scoring shots in a game, absolutely absurd ... and that's ignoring the nature of some of those 11 goals themselves, the bicycle kick arguably the highlight.

11 goals 8 ... 19 scoring shots in a game, absolutely absurd ... and that's ignoring the nature of some of those 11 goals themselves, the bicycle kick arguably the highlight.
running into an open goal and throwing it on his opposite foot.......to kick a behind

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Back