All Time West Coast Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
With a raft of new Premiership heroes, I thought we could discuss if any of them force their way into the all time team. I tend to pick mainly from our premiership sides.

The 92/94 lads, then the 2006 class and now the 2018 boys. Of course you guys might favour some players who didnt play in a GF win. So who makes your team?

For reference. Here are the line up's for each West Coast Grand Final winning teams.

FB - Waterman McIntosh McKenna
HB - Lamb Jakovich Worsfold
MID - Matera Turley Mainwaring
HF - Langdon Brennan Wilson
FF - Evans Sumich Heady
FOLL - Harding Kemp Pyke

INT - Lewis White (just two interchange players back then)

FB - McIntosh Brennan Hart
HB - McKenna Jakovich Worsfold
MID - Mainwaring Pyke Matera
HF - Heady Ball Wilson
FF - Lewis Sumich Bond
FOLL - Hynes Kemp Evans

INT - Waterman Banfield Turnball (now three interchange players)

FB - Waters Glass Wirrpanda
HB - A.Selwood Hunter B.Jones
MID - Fletcher Judd Braun
HF - R.Jones Hansen Stenglein
FF - Embley Lynch Chick
FOLL - Cox Cousins Kerr

INT - Seaby Butler Banfield Armstrong

FB - Hurn Barrass Schofield
HB - Duggan McGovern Jetta
MID - Redden Yeo Masten
HF - Ryan Darling LeCras
FF - Cripps Kennedy Rioli
FOLL - Lycett Hutchings Shuey

INT - Vardy Cole Sheed Venables

So here is my all time West Coast Eagles team.

ALL TIME

FB - Wirrpanda Glass McGovern

Wirrapanda is an obvious choice. Glass edges out a desperately unlucky McIntosh, he's a four time AA and is the lock down defender you need. The Gov makes his way into the all time team. A 3 time AA and now a premiership player. He's currently the best defender in the league.

HB - Worsfold(C) Jakovich McKenna

The ultimate half back line that will be very tough to break up. Jako is a behemoth, McKenna all class and Woosha despite being the more limited footballer is an outstanding leader! The backline as a whole is probably too tall but I just cant leave out Gov.

C - Matera Kerr Embley

Matera is a no brainer on a wing. Kerr is another automatic selection for me, incredible footballer. Embley for me takes the other wing. Great running power, can go back or forward, kick goals, takes marks, won a normie.

HF - Lewis Darling Heady

Chris Lewis for pure silk and only 6 blokes in the history of the club have kicked more goals for WC than him. Darling profits from the club having literally no half decent CHF's in it's entire existence. Having said that, he's already 4th all time on the goal scoring charts, is a premiership player and is actually a sneaky chance to finish his career on the very top of the list. Heady kicked 237 goals from just 156 games and was an absolute live wire in two premiership teams.

FF - LeCras Kennedy Ph.Matera

LeCras is 3rd on our all time scoring list, dont let his twilight years make you forget how good he was at his peak. Kennedy sits alone at the top of our goal scoring charts. Two time coleman medalist and now a Premiership player. Phillip Matera, easily the best small forward the club has ever seen.

FOLL - Cox Cousins Judd

No explanation really needed. #goats

INT - Naitanui Kemp Banfield Priddis

I like two traditional ruckman in my greatest team of all time. Nic Nat an easy decision. Influences games so hugely. Kemp is all class and unlucky not to be in the starting 18. Banners gives us that small defender, tough and experienced. Priddis the obvious controversial choice but the team needed another midfielder. A Brownlow winner and a contested beast. I'm pro-Priddis but I know the WC board is very split on this.

FB - Wirrapanda Glass McGovern
HB - Worsfold (c) Jakovich McKenna
MID - P.Matera Kerr Embley
HF - Lewis Darling Heady
FF - Lecras Kennedy Ph.Matera
FOLL - Cox Cousins (vc) Judd

Some real unlucky guys. Sumich being an obvious one. Has a much higher goals per game average than Kennedy, kicking over 500 goals in just over 150 games. It's a tough one. Kennedy probably kicks straighter and is the better mark. You'd be happy with either. McIntosh desperately unlucky. Hurn, 248 games, now a Premiership captain and AA cant break into that back six.

Evans, Braun, Mainwaring, Turley, Brennan, Glendinning, Shuey, Sheppard, Gaff... all unlucky. Hunter I was desperate to squeeze in, injuries cut his career short but had he managed to play 250 instead of 150 I think he'd be a lock. The ultimate swingman who could play forward or back. Was such a key to us winning in 06.

Then a mention to a couple of blokes who are still too young to be considered unlucky but who I think are capable of coming into the side once they finish their careers. Tom Barrass is a beast and has it all before him. The other is Yeo, already a two time B&F and an All Australian. He's still getting better too.

So how did I do? Pretty close?

With a raft of new Premiership heroes, I thought we could discuss if any of them force their way into the all time team. I tend to pick mainly from our premiership sides.

The 92/94 lads, then the 2006 class and now the 2018 boys. Of course you guys might favour some players who didnt play in a GF win. So who makes your team?

For reference. Here are the line up's for each West Coast Grand Final winning teams.

FB - Waterman McIntosh McKenna
HB - Lamb Jakovich Worsfold
MID - Matera Turley Mainwaring
HF - Langdon Brennan Wilson
FF - Evans Sumich Heady
FOLL - Harding Kemp Pyke

INT - Lewis White (just two interchange players back then)

FB - McIntosh Brennan Hart
HB - McKenna Jakovich Worsfold
MID - Mainwaring Pyke Matera
HF - Heady Ball Wilson
FF - Lewis Sumich Bond
FOLL - Hynes Kemp Evans

INT - Waterman Banfield Turnball (now three interchange players)

FB - Waters Glass Wirrpanda
HB - A.Selwood Hunter B.Jones
MID - Fletcher Judd Braun
HF - R.Jones Hansen Stenglein
FF - Embley Lynch Chick
FOLL - Cox Cousins Kerr

INT - Seaby Butler Banfield Armstrong

FB - Hurn Barrass Schofield
HB - Duggan McGovern Jetta
MID - Redden Yeo Masten
HF - Ryan Darling LeCras
FF - Cripps Kennedy Rioli
FOLL - Lycett Hutchings Shuey

INT - Vardy Cole Sheed Venables

So here is my all time West Coast Eagles team.

ALL TIME

FB - Wirrpanda Glass McGovern

Wirrapanda is an obvious choice. Glass edges out a desperately unlucky McIntosh, he's a four time AA and is the lock down defender you need. The Gov makes his way into the all time team. A 3 time AA and now a premiership player. He's currently the best defender in the league.

HB - Worsfold(C) Jakovich McKenna

The ultimate half back line that will be very tough to break up. Jako is a behemoth, McKenna all class and Woosha despite being the more limited footballer is an outstanding leader! The backline as a whole is probably too tall but I just cant leave out Gov.

C - Matera Kerr Embley

Matera is a no brainer on a wing. Kerr is another automatic selection for me, incredible footballer. Embley for me takes the other wing. Great running power, can go back or forward, kick goals, takes marks, won a normie.

HF - Lewis Darling Heady

Chris Lewis for pure silk and only 6 blokes in the history of the club have kicked more goals for WC than him. Darling profits from the club having literally no half decent CHF's in it's entire existence. Having said that, he's already 4th all time on the goal scoring charts, is a premiership player and is actually a sneaky chance to finish his career on the very top of the list. Heady kicked 237 goals from just 156 games and was an absolute live wire in two premiership teams.

FF - LeCras Kennedy Ph.Matera

LeCras is 3rd on our all time scoring list, dont let his twilight years make you forget how good he was at his peak. Kennedy sits alone at the top of our goal scoring charts. Two time coleman medalist and now a Premiership player. Phillip Matera, easily the best small forward the club has ever seen.

FOLL - Cox Cousins Judd

No explanation really needed. #goats

I like two traditional ruckman in my greatest team of all time. Nic Nat an easy decision. Influences games so hugely. Kemp is all class and unlucky not to be in the starting 18. Banners gives us that small defender, tough and experienced. Priddis the obvious controversial choice but the team needed another midfielder. A Brownlow winner and a contested beast. I'm pro-Priddis but I know the WC board is very split on this.

FB - Wirrapanda Glass McGovern
HF - Lewis Darling Heady
FF - Lecras Kennedy Ph.Matera

Some real unlucky guys. Sumich being an obvious one. Has a much higher goals per game average than Kennedy, kicking over 500 goals in just over 150 games. It's a tough one. Kennedy probably kicks straighter and is the better mark. You'd be happy with either. McIntosh desperately unlucky. Hurn, 248 games, now a Premiership captain and AA cant break into that back six.

Evans, Braun, Mainwaring, Turley, Brennan, Glendinning, Shuey, Sheppard, Gaff... all unlucky. Hunter I was desperate to squeeze in, injuries cut his career short but had he managed to play 250 instead of 150 I think he'd be a lock. The ultimate swingman who could play forward or back. Was such a key to us winning in 06.

Then a mention to a couple of blokes who are still too young to be considered unlucky but who I think are capable of coming into the side once they finish their careers. Tom Barrass is a beast and has it all before him. The other is Yeo, already a two time B&F and an All Australian. He's still getting better too.

So how did I do? Pretty close?
I'd swap Priddis out for Shuey and Darling out for Sumich. Move JK to CHF.

100% Sumich over Darling. I don't even think that's a real argument.

I'd have Hurn in over Worsfold - Even though I understand why people would have Worsfold in there over Hurn, when you talk about all time teams I think having someone like Worsfold on the team isn't important. I have no issues with someone picking Worsfold though.

I'd probably keep Priddis as the last spot on the bench, but really picking Shuey or Gaff isn't wrong.

If you are using the 4 spots on the bench as the next 4 best up (rather than a real team balance), I'd have McIntosh over Banfield.

I'd swap Priddis out for Shuey and Darling out for Sumich. Move JK to CHF.

I'd also add Banfield to the unlucky list and give that spot on the interchange to Hurn.

Being a Captain in this era is more demanding than in the past IMO, requiring one to translate all of the structures set in place by the coaches and their messages into strong performances on the field. He has executed this role with absolute class, and when you factor in the importance of his elite kick in terms of executing our game plan, he has got to have a spot in this team.

I'd also add Banfield to the unlucky list and give that spot on the interchange to Hurn.

Being a Captain in this era is more demanding than in the past IMO, requiring one to translate all of the structures set in place by the coaches and their messages into strong performances on the field. He has executed this role with absolute class, and when you factor in the importance of his elite kick in terms of executing our game plan, he has got to have a spot in this team.
I think over their career's Banfield was the better player, Hurn has had a very good year this year but he's had some fairly average ones too.

I think over their career's Banfield was the better player, Hurn has had a very good year this year but he's had some fairly average ones too.
Banners was always a favourite of mine from the 90s and he had an excellent career spanning our 1994 and 2006 flags.

I believe that Hurn's growth in his role and relationship with Simmo from 2015 to now marginally trumps Banfield for that spot.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Banners was always a favourite of mine from the 90s and he had an excellent career spanning our 1994 and 2006 flags.

I believe that Hurn's growth in his role and relationship with Simmo from 2015 to now marginally trumps Banfield for that spot.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
For mine Banfield was the better performer on the field over his whole career, don't think Hurn has been at the same level, maybe another or year or two and he overtakes Banfield.

Great team Jod
My only differences would be Suma plays CHF and Yeo takes wooshas spot with a licence to run.
Banners to just hold out McIntosh for team balance

Mainy easy in a joke if you dont rate him ahead of Banfield or Priddis. Thats the biggest omission for mine. Shuey stiff also. So hard though so many great players.

Wirrpanda - Glass - McGovern

Hurn - Jakovich - McKenna

Kerr - Kemp - Matera

Heady - Kennedy - Darling

Matera - Sumich - LeCras

Cox - Cousins - Judd

Naitanui - Worsfold - McIntosh - Mainwaring

Team Breakdown:
Early-Mid 90s - 9
Mid 2000s - 7
Mid-Late 10s - 6

Toughest Omissions - Lewis, Embley, Priddis, Gaff - honestly a raffle for the final bench spot - I went Mainy but it was a tough call.

Followed by - Shuey, Braun, Banfield, Brennan.

Will only get harder from here!

Wirrpanda McIntosh McGovern
McKenna Jakovich Worsfold
Matera Kemp Mainwaring
Cousins Kennedy Heady
LeCras Sumich Lewis

Cox Judd Kerr
Shuey Yeo Embley Pyke

Premiership players only, McGovern 2nd ruck, Pyke tagger

Best Ever 22:

B: Wirrapanda Glass Worsfold

HB: McGovern Jakovich McKenna

C: Mainwarring Kemp Matera

HF: Embley Summich Shuey

FF: Lecras Kennedy Lewis

F: Cox Cousins Judd

Interchange: Nic Kerr Hurn Priddis

FB - Wirrapanda McIntosh McGovern
HF - Lewis Kennedy Darling
FF - Heady Sumich Ph.Matera

INT - Naitanui Kemp Yeo Shuey

Slight rewrite if I may.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's Evans? :mad: Won that 92 GF for the Eagles. :rainbow:

Apologies jod23 you've mentioned the great man, Tony "Ï'd stand in front of a mack truck for my team" Evans

100% Sumich over Darling. I don't even think that's a real argument.

I'd have Hurn in over Worsfold - Even though I understand why people would have Worsfold in there over Hurn, when you talk about all time teams I think having someone like Worsfold on the team isn't important. I have no issues with someone picking Worsfold though.

I'd probably keep Priddis as the last spot on the bench, but really picking Shuey or Gaff isn't wrong.

If you are using the 4 spots on the bench as the next 4 best up (rather than a real team balance), I'd have McIntosh over Banfield.
Fair call on pushing JK out to CHF and bringing in Sumich. I wouldnt drop Darling though. So I'll change it to Sumich in, Heady out. Sumich at FF, JK out to CHF and Darling in the half forward line.

Hurn over Woosh is an interesting one. Pure footballers then Hurn. But toughness, leadership and commitment then its gotta be Woosh.

FB - Wirrapanda McIntosh McGovern
MID - P.Matera Judd (vc) Embley
HF - Lewis Kennedy Darling
FF - Ph.Matera Sumich Heady
FOLL - Cox Cousins Kerr

INT - Kemp Shuey Yeo NicNat

Comments:
Shuey a must - you don’t get a Norm for nothing
Yep just gives that flexibility
Heady was instrumental in the 1992 GF and swung that 3rd quarter so will be a favourite of mine
Was wondering about speed in defence but Wirra and Bluey were ok and Woosher’s opponents were often looking fast because the were dodging the contest

Midfield and depth (wings aside)
Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Kemp, Shuey, Yeo
Heady and Lewis were also good for a rotation
Would enable NicNat to have a run as that ultimate BBIM

Last edited:
Disagree with that. I think McIntosh was probably a better overall footballer as he could go forward and kick goals. But an out and out FB. Its gotta be Glass.

No as good as Glass was as a FB McIntosh has him covered.

Faster.
Stronger.
Better mark.
Better kick, kicked longer and much more accurate.

People forget the quality of the players Ash played on.

Dunstan.
Lockett.
Ablett.
Longmire.

Both Dunstan and Plugger when asked who was the most difficult full back to play on answered McIntosh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back