All Time West Coast Best 22

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Gaff will almost certainly make our best ever 22 now, despite not being a premiership player.
Gaff, Yeo and Shuey will all push for a spot by the time their careers are done. But they would have to go extremely well to push into that side.

I mean who's midfield spot do they take? In my all time team I have Matera, Kerr and Embley across the middle and Cousins and Judd following. Then two midfield spots on the bench are Priddis and Kemp.

They are never, ever replacing Cousins, Judd, Matera or Kerr.

That leaves Embley, a Norm Smith medal winner, played 250 games and kicked 217 goals.

Dean Kemp who played 243 games, is an AA, B&F winner, dual Premiership player, Norm Smith Medalist and is in the Hall of Fame.

Then you have Priddis too played 240 games, won a Sandover, is an All Australian and won a Brownlow medal.

Tough ask.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
No as good as Glass was as a FB McIntosh has him covered.

Faster.
Stronger.
Better mark.
Better kick, kicked longer and much more accurate.

People forget the quality of the players Ash played on.

Dunstan.
Lockett.
Ablett.
Longmire.

Both Dunstan and Plugger when asked who was the most difficult full back to play on answered McIntosh.
Dunstall*

May 14, 2011
And I'm feeling so boohemian like you.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Brisbane Lions,
No as good as Glass was as a FB McIntosh has him covered.

Faster.
Stronger.
Better mark.
Better kick, kicked longer and much more accurate.

People forget the quality of the players Ash played on.

Dunstan.
Lockett.
Ablett.
Longmire.

Both Dunstan and Plugger when asked who was the most difficult full back to play on answered McIntosh.

It was a completely different era. Let's see how fat plodders like Lockett, Dunstan and Jarman would have coped with the team defense and aerobic capacity required from full forwards now. There's a reason they're not kicking over 100 goals a season these days.

If anything, it's a slight on defenders from yesteryear that allowed them to kick 100's a year and bags week in, week out.

It was a completely different era. Let's see how fat plodders like Lockett, Dunstan and Jarman would have coped with the team defense and aerobic capacity required from full forwards now. There's a reason they're not kicking over 100 goals a season these days.

If anything, it's a slight on defenders from yesteryear that allowed them to kick 100's a year and bags week in, week out.

If you think McIntosh didn't have aerobic capacity you are sadly mistaken.
Doubt you will find a better 400 meter runner than Ash, he dominated all the PSA sprints 100' 200 and 400 at the Inters.
His speed and ability to run all day was well documented.

Different eras my arse he would have be able to go with Nick Riewoldt .
McIntosh was the only one on our squad that go go with Gehrig one on one at training with speed and strength.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Gaff, Yeo and Shuey will all push for a spot by the time their careers are done. But they would have to go extremely well to push into that side.

I mean who's midfield spot do they take? In my all time team I have Matera, Kerr and Embley across the middle and Cousins and Judd following. Then two midfield spots on the bench are Priddis and Kemp.

They are never, ever replacing Cousins, Judd, Matera or Kerr.

That leaves Embley, a Norm Smith medal winner, played 250 games and kicked 217 goals.

Dean Kemp who played 243 games, is an AA, B&F winner, dual Premiership player, Norm Smith Medalist and is in the Hall of Fame.

Then you have Priddis too played 240 games, won a Sandover, is an All Australian and won a Brownlow medal.

Tough ask.

Think Gaff will have Embley covered very comfortably IMO by the end of his career.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
People seem to be forgetting that McIntosh only really became a full time backman in 96, well and truly after Dunstall/Ablett and Lockett's peak years.

Yep...Michael Brennan was our main man. McIntosh was something of a swing man. He was a great player - but I think Darren Glass was better for longer at FB personally.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
With a raft of new Premiership heroes, I thought we could discuss if any of them force their way into the all time team. I tend to pick mainly from our premiership sides.

The 92/94 lads, then the 2006 class and now the 2018 boys. Of course you guys might favour some players who didnt play in a GF win. So who makes your team?

For reference. Here are the line up's for each West Coast Grand Final winning teams.

FB - Waterman McIntosh McKenna
HB - Lamb Jakovich Worsfold
MID - Matera Turley Mainwaring
HF - Langdon Brennan Wilson
FF - Evans Sumich Heady
FOLL - Harding Kemp Pyke

INT - Lewis White (just two interchange players back then)

FB - McIntosh Brennan Hart
HB - McKenna Jakovich Worsfold
MID - Mainwaring Pyke Matera
HF - Heady Ball Wilson
FF - Lewis Sumich Bond
FOLL - Hynes Kemp Evans

INT - Waterman Banfield Turnball (now three interchange players)

FB - Waters Glass Wirrpanda
HB - A.Selwood Hunter B.Jones
MID - Fletcher Judd Braun
HF - R.Jones Hansen Stenglein
FF - Embley Lynch Chick
FOLL - Cox Cousins Kerr

INT - Seaby Butler Banfield Armstrong

FB - Hurn Barrass Schofield
HB - Duggan McGovern Jetta
MID - Redden Yeo Masten
HF - Ryan Darling LeCras
FF - Cripps Kennedy Rioli
FOLL - Lycett Hutchings Shuey

INT - Vardy Cole Sheed Venables

So here is my all time West Coast Eagles team.

ALL TIME

FB - Wirrpanda Glass McGovern

Wirrapanda is an obvious choice. Glass edges out a desperately unlucky McIntosh, he's a four time AA and is the lock down defender you need. The Gov makes his way into the all time team. A 3 time AA and now a premiership player. He's currently the best defender in the league.

HB - Worsfold(C) Jakovich McKenna

The ultimate half back line that will be very tough to break up. Jako is a behemoth, McKenna all class and Woosha despite being the more limited footballer is an outstanding leader! The backline as a whole is probably too tall but I just cant leave out Gov.

C - Matera Kerr Embley

Matera is a no brainer on a wing. Kerr is another automatic selection for me, incredible footballer. Embley for me takes the other wing. Great running power, can go back or forward, kick goals, takes marks, won a normie.

HF - Lewis Darling Heady

Chris Lewis for pure silk and only 6 blokes in the history of the club have kicked more goals for WC than him. Darling profits from the club having literally no half decent CHF's in it's entire existence. Having said that, he's already 4th all time on the goal scoring charts, is a premiership player and is actually a sneaky chance to finish his career on the very top of the list. Heady kicked 237 goals from just 156 games and was an absolute live wire in two premiership teams.

FF - LeCras Kennedy Ph.Matera

LeCras is 3rd on our all time scoring list, dont let his twilight years make you forget how good he was at his peak. Kennedy sits alone at the top of our goal scoring charts. Two time coleman medalist and now a Premiership player. Phillip Matera, easily the best small forward the club has ever seen.

FOLL - Cox Cousins Judd

No explanation really needed. #goats

INT - Naitanui Kemp Banfield Priddis

I like two traditional ruckman in my greatest team of all time. Nic Nat an easy decision. Influences games so hugely. Kemp is all class and unlucky not to be in the starting 18. Banners gives us that small defender, tough and experienced. Priddis the obvious controversial choice but the team needed another midfielder. A Brownlow winner and a contested beast. I'm pro-Priddis but I know the WC board is very split on this.

FB - Wirrapanda Glass McGovern
HB - Worsfold (c) Jakovich McKenna
MID - P.Matera Kerr Embley
HF - Lewis Darling Heady
FF - Lecras Kennedy Ph.Matera
FOLL - Cox Cousins (vc) Judd

INT - Naitanui Kemp Banfield Priddis

Some real unlucky guys. Sumich being an obvious one. Has a much higher goals per game average than Kennedy, kicking over 500 goals in just over 150 games. It's a tough one. Kennedy probably kicks straighter and is the better mark. You'd be happy with either. McIntosh desperately unlucky. Hurn, 248 games, now a Premiership captain and AA cant break into that back six.

Evans, Braun, Mainwaring, Turley, Brennan, Glendinning, Shuey, Sheppard, Gaff... all unlucky. Hunter I was desperate to squeeze in, injuries cut his career short but had he managed to play 250 instead of 150 I think he'd be a lock. The ultimate swingman who could play forward or back. Was such a key to us winning in 06.

Then a mention to a couple of blokes who are still too young to be considered unlucky but who I think are capable of coming into the side once they finish their careers. Tom Barrass is a beast and has it all before him. The other is Yeo, already a two time B&F and an All Australian. He's still getting better too.

So how did I do? Pretty close?
Priddis aint getting a guernsey over shuey, yeo, gaff,

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Lol at OP including Priddis despite the fact he hasn’t won a premiership. There’s a reason for that. Flicking a Brownlow counts for squat.

So, what your saying is that Gaff shouldn't be considered or Nic Nat?

Or if this team was done a month ago, we shouldn't have considered having Shuey, Yeo, Kennedy, Darling, McGovern and LeCras being on the team?

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I got this far and gave up:

FB: Wirrpanda Glass McIntosh
HB: McKenna Jakovich Worsfold (c)
C: P. Matera Judd Gaff
HF: Cousins Kennedy LeCras
FF: Ph. Matera Sumich Heady
R: Cox, Kerr, Kemp

IC: Naitanui, ???

Because I'm spoiled for choice :$ I love this team. Mainwaring, Gov, Embley, Lewis, Evans, Pridda, Yeo, Shuey, Lynch ( :moustache: ) ... Damn.

Is that half back line set in stone forever?

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
I got this far and gave up:

FB: Wirrpanda Glass McIntosh
HB: McKenna Jakovich Worsfold (c)
C: P. Matera Judd Gaff
HF: Cousins Kennedy LeCras
FF: Ph. Matera Sumich Heady
R: Cox, Kerr, Kemp

IC: Naitanui, ???

Because I'm spoiled for choice :$ I love this team. Mainwaring, Gov, Embley, Lewis, Evans, Pridda, Yeo, Shuey, Lynch ( :moustache: ) ... Damn.

Is that half back line set in stone forever?
It is a great half back line to be sure. I love the idea of both Glass and McIntosh in the backline as well.

WhiteWave95

Draftee
May 13, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Just found this thread but was giving it a bit of thought. It used to be fairly straightforward, but now gets tougher every year we do well!

My team would be:

B: McGovern Glass Worsfold (C)
HB: McKenna Jakovich Hurn
C: Mainwaring Judd Gaff
HF: Pe.Matera Glendinning LeCras
F: Ph.Matera Gehrig Kennedy
R: Cox, Priddis, Cousins
Int: Kerr, Kemp, Naitanui, Wirrpanda

Although it is primarily based on how they did for us, I did consider performances for other teams as well, I guess that might be different to you guys. The one I was mortified to leave out was McIntosh, but in the end for balance I played Wirrpanda instead.

Anyway it was fun considering it all.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Just found this thread but was giving it a bit of thought. It used to be fairly straightforward, but now gets tougher every year we do well!

My team would be:

B: McGovern Glass Worsfold (C)
HB: McKenna Jakovich Hurn
C: Mainwaring Judd Gaff
HF: Pe.Matera Glendinning LeCras
F: Ph.Matera Gehrig Kennedy
R: Cox, Priddis, Cousins
Int: Kerr, Kemp, Naitanui, Wirrpanda

Although it is primarily based on how they did for us, I did consider performances for other teams as well, I guess that might be different to you guys. The one I was mortified to leave out was McIntosh, but in the end for balance I played Wirrpanda instead.

Anyway it was fun considering it all.
I lose it when i see priddis in and shuey out. Shueys twice the player

WhiteWave95

Draftee
May 13, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I guess I was picking a team on overall achievement in a way...Shuey hasn't finished his career yet, Priddis 1st and 2nd in Brownlow, most ever disposals/tackles for Eagles, 240 games. But I respect your argument.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I guess I was picking a team on overall achievement in a way...Shuey hasn't finished his career yet, Priddis 1st and 2nd in Brownlow, most ever disposals/tackles for Eagles, 240 games. But I respect your argument.
Picture this

You are picking players like at school where you take turns

You are telling me that when it comes to your last choice and theres two left - prid and shu

You would pick prid?

WhiteWave95

Draftee
May 13, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Picture this

You are picking players like at school where you take turns

You are telling me that when it comes to your last choice and theres two left - prid and shu

You would pick prid?

Yeah I would! He faded at the end of his career but for a tough in and under midfielder I really rated him.

Back