Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Rd 22 decided the flag, IMO.

Totally different dynamic with WC in the top 2/3 and Richmond having to win 4 on the bounce and potentially travel twice. Not saying we would've won the flag, but as soon as Richmond finished top 4 they were a huge chance and once they beat Brisbane were odds on.

I actually reckon Richmond 2019 were similar to us last year. Getting over Port in Rd 4 with players out and WC in Rd 22 were the difference. Last year we ground out a couple of wins and then beat Port after the siren then finished 2nd. Both teams finished 19-6 in the end and hit form when it mattered in the finals.

Hopefully in 2020 the numbnuts AFL schedule two Rich/WC games instead of just one like every other year.
I think the Hawthorn game a week later cost you guys. With a win there we would've likely ended up with a West Coast vs Richmond grand final and a much closer contest.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
1570600569684.png
That's it. No-one else is allowed any midfield minutes.

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you guys are going to be coming after us hard next year.

I already thought you were our biggest challenge after our match in round 22, but now with Kelly I think you guys could take some beating.

Our equal yet opposite game plans fascinate me.
Looking forward to it. I think our system is set in place as is yours. Getting a full year out of both teams midfield's will make both our teams hard to beat. I don't think Giants and Brisbane are going to be too far behind. Saints and Dogs could be heading back upwards this year. Interesting season ahead.

As a hypothetical, if Kelly had have ended up in the draft and had no qualms about where he played, at what pick would he have been taken?

Though if he had no qualms about where he played, he'd still be in Geelong.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I think the Hawthorn game a week later cost you guys. With a win there we would've likely ended up with a West Coast vs Richmond grand final and a much closer contest.
Gotta be honest - no team was getting inside 30 points on richmond gf day.

This years granny was doomed with geelong peaking too early, brissy too young and not quite ready, eagles blowing it out of their arses and gws...... well....

collingwood probably would have given the best account of themselves. Your mob peaked perfectly.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Anyone envisage a way we can parcel up our future 3rd and current fourth round to get into the 2nd round? Do we have to put someone like Petch or Duggan on the trade table to get back into the 2nd round early?
Why would you take two players - one of which has shown lots and the other with great potential and swap for two total unknowns?

This logic just does my fxxxn head in.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
We done for this trade period?

I've heard^ there have been enquiries about Waterman, with Essendon interested. Better than Daniher over last two seasons, I wouldn't take anything less than 2 top 10 picks :thumbsu:

^Don't ask for source, I can't divulge*.

*It's from bigfooty posts I read last week.
We will trade him for our original pick 33 and throw in their 52

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Simo mentioned now trading back into the early rounds.

How if we don't trade a player? We can't trade any more future picks.

So if a player has asked for a trade who?

With the father son & academy picks next year, multiple 2nd & 3rd round picks will be worth gold to those who need points, and greatly devalued to those who don't.

Maybe we need to look to trade our 2020 picks to get back into the 2019 draft?

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Why would you take two players - one of which has shown lots and the other with great potential and swap for two total unknowns?

This logic just does my fxxxn head in.
Ok Kranky I said one not both and it was a wild speculation. I am not particularly happy our first pick is 52 at present. I was wracking my brain trying to get a upgrade if we put up Duggan and Petch we would be wanting first round picks or early 2nds at worst. Ideally we do it with picks.

Bluke

Senior List
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Not only did they miss out on securing Kelly’s signature, his manager Anthony Van Der Wielen delivered one final stinging shot to the rival Western Australia team.
“No (Kelly was never really keen on Fremantle), not really,” Anthony Van Der Wielen told Trade Radio.
“Obviously I’m a Fremantle boy, I live in Fremantle, I work in Fremantle, and I’m involved with South Fremantle so I don’t have anything against Fremantle and neither did Tim, it just wasn’t the best option for him and his family at the time and where they’re at.
“Tim’s had a pretty good association with West Coast for three or four years now into the time where he was drafted and the season before that.
“It was always something where he felt quite comfortable with West Coast.”

I think this puts to bed any notion that Geelong plucked this guy from obscurity. We have been into him for years. Also the noise over the last couple of weeks that Freo were ever really an option. He was always coming to West Coast.

Geelong really have made out like bandits in all of this. In selecting him in the first place against his will, in refusing to trade him last year, and in cleaning out our hand of picks this year (and partially next year).

Super pumped Kelly is joining us, I only wish we had pulled the trigger a year earlier with a rookie list pick like others had mentioned. Could have saved ourselves all the trouble.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
With the father son & academy picks next year, multiple 2nd & 3rd round picks will be worth gold to those who need points, and greatly devalued to those who don't.

Maybe we need to look to trade our 2020 picks to get back into the 2019 draft?

We'd only be allowed to trade one of our 3rds though now, wouldn't we?

Ok Kranky I said one not both and it was a wild speculation. I am not particularly happy our first pick is 52 at present. I was wracking my brain trying to get a upgrade if we put up Duggan and Petch we would be wanting first round picks or early 2nds at worst. Ideally we do it with picks.

Geelong’s third round pick to Sydney for pick 54 (which is actually our original third-rounder).

Rationale - they reportedly need to stockpile points for next year to match bids on a few academy players. If Geelong finish eighth their pick will start at 48 before compo picks.

52 and 54 to GWS for pick 40

Rationale - gives them a slight points boost to meet bids on Green.

Leaves us with 40 and 64. Effectively packaging 52 and the Geelong future third to move up to 40.

Dougal Howard wants to go to the Saints now. With Hill, Ryder and Jones I'm struggling to see how they get it all done

With Steven and Bruce going out the door, I think they were shopping around Carlisle as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back