List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Chris Masten signs with the Perth Demons , Carbine Chaos will be pleased .

Dockers are going to go live pick swapping on draft night ( Liam Henry ) even going to hide a pick similar to Sydney a few years ago if need be .....the draft is going to outsmart itself one day and blow up !!
I’m pretty sure the AFL banned this after Sydney did it with us

I’m pretty sure the AFL banned this after Sydney did it with us

I also thought this happened but

The AFL has confirmed that under its rules, a club in Fremantle's situation would be able to use its five minutes on the clock to trade picks with another club, move down the order, and then match the Academy bid with a later selection/s.

It is possible, in that case, that a club such as Gold Coast (with pick 15 and 20) could swap picks with Fremantle and move up to pick 10. Then the Dockers would be allowed to match the bid with pick 15.

Article is written by Cal Twomey so I assume he’d know.

Personally I think the ability to trade down makes a bit of a mockery of the bid matching process. Clubs already get a discount with what they have to match, now they can trade down to help them further

Maybe it’s the Sydney style trade where they initially traded away a pick that would have been used to match a bid then did a secondary trade to get a pick back that the AFL has blocked

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I also thought this happened but

Article is written by Cal Twomey so I assume he’d know.

Personally I think the ability to trade down makes a bit of a mockery of the bid matching process. Clubs already get a discount with what they have to match, now they can trade down to help them further

Maybe it’s the Sydney style trade where they initially traded away a pick that would have been used to match a bid then did a secondary trade to get a pick back that the AFL has blocked

Agreed. I think next year could get very messy with the number of players already linked to clubs.

From memory Sydney traded out early as they read the draft well, which I think is ok, but being allowed to wait until the bid is in, is like seeing your opponents cards in poker before you place a bet.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Chris Masten signs with the Perth Demons , Carbine Chaos will be pleased .

Dockers are going to go live pick swapping on draft night ( Liam Henry ) even going to hide a pick similar to Sydney a few years ago if need be .....the draft is going to outsmart itself one day and blow up !!

It's outsmarted me already. It's impossible to keep track of it now, to know what will actually eventuate, and I, personally, don't like that. It's too complicated now.

Watsclarkosmob

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry for the intrusion if this is the wrong thread I apologise. So having a little play around with what I'd do draft night and what I believe is fair and reasonable, but long story short would you as WC fans entertain the trade of your pick 46 and a future fourth round for pick 54, 56 and 63?

Sorry for the intrusion if this is the wrong thread I apologise. So having a little play around with what I'd do draft night and what I believe is fair and reasonable, but long story short would you as WC fans entertain the trade of your pick 46 and a future fourth round for pick 54, 56 and 63?

We traded picks 52 and 64 to get pick 46 (&91) in the first place so not sure why we’d then trade 46 out to get later picks back when the club has stated they are looking for opportunities to move up the draft order

Also, it seems we are only intending to have two live draft picks so in your scenario pick 63 is useless as we wouldn’t be using it

Don’t see why the club would consider something like that

Watsclarkosmob

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We traded picks 52 and 64 to get pick 46 (&91) in the first place so not sure why we’d then trade 46 out to get later picks back when the club has stated they are looking for opportunities to move up the draft order

Also, it seems we are only intending to have two live draft picks so in your scenario pick 63 is useless as we wouldn’t be using it

Don’t see why the club would consider something like that
Ok I neglected to look into how you got pick 46, sorry. Four free spots and two rookie elevations?

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Pickett sounds like he is rising as well. The Willie factor.

Who will be the sliders? :think: :cool:

There will be sliders for sure plus West Coast are looking to move up the draft order probably on draft night which is a challenge to work out but a pick in the 30s could be real handy , pick 46 is ok though also .

Georgiades is pretty classy player I reckon Geelong will take him at #24 hehe ....

Last edited:

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
There will be sliders but O’Brien and co will still pick some rando no ones heard of

This. Will be some slider that nobody expected, most likely some sort of proven mid, and we will pick some kid that we have no idea about. We are due for one of those picks to come off at some point surely.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
This. Will be some slider that nobody expected, most likely some sort of proven mid, and we will pick some kid that we have no idea about. We are due for one of those picks to come off at some point surely.
27212C75-D7B2-41F1-A39A-8ACCD4EDA5F5.jpeg

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok I neglected to look into how you got pick 46, sorry. Four free spots and two rookie elevations?

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app
We have gone with a 39 senior and 5 rookies split for a few years now .

We will most likley only take 2 selections and upgrade watson off the rookie list as our mandatory 3 national draft picks.

Not having very good picks in 46 and 91 we will hopefully use one of our two future thirds to trade into the draft in the third round then use 91 on rookie upgrade .

We have had a bit of success with 3rd rounders of late so we would be reluctant to trade away 46

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
There will be sliders for sure plus West Coast are looking to move up the draft order probably on draft night which is a challenge to work out but a pick in the 30s could be real handy , pick 46 is ok though also .

Georgiades is pretty classy player I reckon Geelong will take him at #24 hehe ....

46 plus a 2020 3rd gets us what?

30 to 35ish for who though?

Ruscoe?

Dow?

I would trade in another 3rd and have contingency plans to upgrade further if the player we want is available. If not go with 46 and 50??

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Ruscoe?

Dow?

I would trade in another 3rd and have contingency plans to upgrade further if the player we want is available. If not go with 46 and 50??

If we are upgrading 1 rookie and using 2 live picks I would prefer to find a way to upgrade 91 into a semi decent pick.

Last edited:

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Ruscoe?

Dow?

Yeah you'd say it should get us that range. Looking at the big footy mock draft, 30 to 35 had Harrison Jones, Elijah Taylor, Thomson Dow, Sam Philip, Ryan Brynes so pretty good range to be in.
Then between that and our pick Mitch O'Neill, Pickett, Mahony and Georgiades.
If we could get Mitch O'Neill by trading picks 46 and future 3rd round I'd do it in a heartbeat. This guys a match winner, elite outside mid or balanced mid. Dual under 18 all Australian.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
If De Koning fell that far he would be hard to pass on.
Agree with you that Perez and Dow would be good picks for us.

Noted that in the BF Phantom draft you selected Garcia with our 1st Monocle. In your write up you mentioned that he likely won't see much action in 2020 due to recovering from that unfortunate ACL.

The more I think about that I am leaning towards picking him up a a rookie not with our 1st pick. If he gets picked up by someone else late in the draft chances are he won't play much if at all next year and then maybe get a look in 2021. If he gets that far then we could look at trading him in likely for a 3rd rounder in any case two years from now.

I'd rather speculate on a kid like a Ben Johnson who you rated as one of the most skillful players in the entire draft or jump on that slider which occurs every year.

Garcia with our 1st pick unfortunately has big questions over that knee. Every other team knows it too.

Maybe our last pick in the main draft and definitely a rookie pickup for Garcia.

Schtinker

JUST TAKE MCKERCHER
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
If we are upgrading 1 rookie and using 2 live picks I would prefer to find a way to upgrade 91 into a semi decent put.

We'd be best looking at trading next years pick 53 for Brisbanes pick 52 this year as they probably won't even use it. 52 would get us someone like Jaxon Prior, Ben Sokol or Joshua Shute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back