List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOND 007

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
Near the beach
If possible, could you shed some light on the aborted pick swap with Brisbane. Looked like we were very close to trading up to pick 38 after Essendon bid on one of their academy prospects that they matched but ultimately they dealt with Sydney instead

Did we pull out because we didn’t like what they were proposing or did Sydney trump us with a better deal at the last minute?

I suspect that Brisbane wanted Geelongs future 3rd in return for an upgrade of 49 to 38 and we weren’t happy with that so they approached Sydney

Bit more to it than that but the essence is correct. WC have a good relationship with all clubs but in the heat of the moment things can become a little 'dutch auction' like.

BOND 007

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
Near the beach
Happiest i've been with our draft haul for a long time!! :heart: :westcoast: :heart:

BOND 007 make sure you thank Vozzo for me, him trading away all our picks like a campaigner lowers expectations. Bold strategy.

We went for 'best available' with the Jamieson pick, already said how happy i am with that :whitecheck:

Getting O'Neil for a packet of twisties is CRAZY GOOD. Re-arrange all our selections so that we got O'Neil with our first and Johnson in the rookie draft and it looks a whole lot better. O'Neil, as others have said was rated in the top 30. Dynamic player, not vanilla :whitecheck::whitecheck:

Only selection i'm scratching my head over is the Treacy pick, but that's a list need and only a rookie selection so makes sense.

Big tick from me boiz, dicks out :fire::fire::fire::fire: :eggplant:

Glad ur pleased🤠

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Can anyone shed some light on why O’Neill 2.0 fell this far? In nearly every mock draft I read he was going anywhere from around 20 to 50 yet we’ve nabbed him with our second rookie pick. Sounds like a winner already. Possibly injury?
Iirc he has some knee injury that held him back this year. Had a really good underage year- was touted potential top 10 by some watchers. Being a Tassie boy it might have put him out of the minds of a few recruiters.

Size may also have come into it as well. Does he have an inside game that can translate to AFL level?

Every year the draft throws up a couple of names who slide for a number of reasons. Sometimes clubs have different focuses. Richmond, for example this year seemed to base themselves exclusively out of Brisbane’s academy.

Last edited:
Vozzo has done very well considering the fairly garbage picks we had this year.

This was him last night...

Image result for go banana gif

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Can anyone shed some light on why O’Neill 2.0 fell this far? In nearly every mock draft I read he was going anywhere from around 20 to 50 yet we’ve nabbed him with our second rookie pick. Sounds like a winner already. Possibly injury?
2 heads

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

So looking at our trade/draft period overall -

Started with picks 14,24,33 and 64 after finishing 6th. No players were traded or lost as free agents.

Out : Masten, Mutimer, Mallen, McInnes, Smith, Brooksby (all delisted) along with Cat B rookies Riach and Bines

In : Kelly, Jamieson, Johnson, Treacy, O’Neill

Watson was upgraded to the main list whilst Achee and Brayshaw were moved to the rookie list

In total we have 38 main list players, 5 rookies and no Cat B players leaving us with one rookie list spot to fill via the SSP with suggestions this might be former Giant/Blue Jarrod Pickett

We’ve also traded out our future 1st and 4th round picks with Geelong’s future 3rd round pick coming back

This was the year we finally brought Tim Kelly to the club after overlooking him on 2016, watching Geelong pounce first when we were set to draft him in 2017 and being unable to come to terms with them for a trade in 2018. He’s established himself as a genuine star of the competition and we went all in for him in 2019 coughing up almost the entirety of this years draft hand and our future first rounder.

It’s harsh to say, but if we don’t win a premiership with Kelly then this trade will be judged a failure especially if the likes of WA boys Robertson and Sharp, who were available at our picks among others, do well. Good news is we are as good a chance as anyone to achieve that goal in the coming years

Aside from Kelly, it would be optimistic to think that any of our additions this year will have any meaningful impact in 2020. Pickett if he does arrive at the club and gets over his injuries could also have an impact but that’s a big if at this stage

The kids we did draft reflect our well balanced list and are a good spread of positional needs - developing ruck, small rebounding defender, midfielder and a small forward. To my untrained eye they seem solid selections with the picks we had, O’Neill in particular seems a steal as a rookie pick

Aside from Masten, who appears to the victim of a salary cap squeeze, none of the delisted players had an influence on our 2019 season with only Smith (2 games) playing senior football throughout the year

Overall, I’m happy with what the club has done this offseason to set us up for a genuine crack at another premiership in the next 3 years or so, and maybe a couple. They made a correction to a 2016 draft oversight, albeit an expensive one, to bring in a top 10 midfielder and otherwise maintained the integrity of what was already a strong list. It’s a tick from me

2020 - Naitanui2Kelly. Bring it on🏆

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Possible beagles team

B Robertson Edwards cole
Hb Rotham schofield watson
C Xon Ainsworth nelson
Hf Waterman Brander Ah chee
F treacy Williams Cameron
Foll vardy Venables Brayshaw
Int Jamerson O'Neill

Last edited:

Yoey

All Australian
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I have to say the recruiters did well with the picks they had, lets face it though none are going to play many games in the next few years. When Petch and Waterman are struggling to break into the 22 it shows our depth.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Question for the pod, HoneyBadger35 .. do you think the Treacy draft was influenced by kinda-sorta-miss on Kelly in previous rookie windows (and to some extent, Ryan)?

Nothing against the kid at all - he looks promising based on my four nanoseconds of internet research - but do you think we've taken a lesson from the last few years?

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast

Started with picks 14,24,33 and 64 after finishing 6th. No players were traded or lost as free agents.

Out : Masten, Mutimer, Mallen, McInnes, Smith, Brooksby (all delisted) along with Cat B rookies Riach and Bines

Watson was upgraded to the main list whilst Achee and Brayshaw were moved to the rookie list

In total we have 38 main list players, 5 rookies and no Cat B players leaving us with one rookie list spot to fill via the SSP with suggestions this might be former Giant/Blue Jarrod Pickett

We’ve also traded out our future 1st and 4th round picks with Geelong’s future 3rd round pick coming back

This was the year we finally brought Tim Kelly to the club after overlooking him on 2016, watching Geelong pounce first when we were set to draft him in 2017 and being unable to come to terms with them for a trade in 2018. He’s established himself as a genuine star of the competition and we went all in for him in 2019 coughing up almost the entirety of this years draft hand and our future first rounder.

It’s harsh to say, but if we don’t win a premiership with Kelly then this trade will be judged a failure especially if the likes of WA boys Robertson and Sharp, who were available at our picks among others, do well. Good news is we are as good a chance as anyone to achieve that goal in the coming years

Aside from Kelly, it would be optimistic to think that any of our additions this year will have any meaningful impact in 2020. Pickett if he does arrive at the club and gets over his injuries could also have an impact but that’s a big if at this stage

The kids we did draft reflect our well balanced list and are a good spread of positional needs - developing ruck, small rebounding defender, midfielder and a small forward. To my untrained eye they seem solid selections with the picks we had, O’Neill in particular seems a steal as a rookie pick

Aside from Masten, who appears to the victim of a salary cap squeeze, none of the delisted players had an influence on our 2019 season with only Smith (2 games) playing senior football throughout the year

Overall, I’m happy with what the club has done this offseason to set us up for a genuine crack at another premiership in the next 3 years or so, and maybe a couple. They made a correction to a 2016 draft oversight, albeit an expensive one, to bring in a top 10 midfielder and otherwise maintained the integrity of what was already a strong list. It’s a tick from me

Cannot agree with this more.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

I'm bullish that in 2-3 trade periods time we will pick up one of Robertson or Rivers.

Robertson breaking into that Lions midfield will take time.

Rivers and Melbourne..........well it is Melbourne and the kid is a dead set Eagles groupie. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Its all a plan people. Get another team to put in two yars development aka Yeo and then grab them.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm bullish that in 2-3 trade periods time we will pick up one of Robertson or Rivers.

Robertson breaking into that Lions midfield will take time.

Rivers and Melbourne..........well it is Melbourne and the kid is a dead set Eagles groupie. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Its all a plan people. Get another team to put in two yars development aka Yeo and then grab them.

Two years at Melbourne and he'll be able to distinguish between brie varieties and vintages like it's nobody's business.

BOND 007

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
Near the beach
Question for the pod, HoneyBadger35 .. do you think the Treacy draft was influenced by kinda-sorta-miss on Kelly in previous rookie windows (and to some extent, Ryan)?

Nothing against the kid at all - he looks promising based on my four nanoseconds of internet research - but do you think we've taken a lesson from the last few years?

Yes

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast

Couple of questions whilst you’re here

Is there any truth to the report we’re considering Pickett as a SSP and is there any Cat B prospects to add to our list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back