List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft recap pod tonight - any questions for the draft gurus (or me if you want a useless answer), let me know.

Here's the most important question that seems to be going unanswered.

Would you rate this draft as a complete failure, given we missed out on McGinnity?

Last edited:
Vozzo has done very well considering the fairly garbage picks we had this year.

This was him last night...

Image result for go banana gif
How is it that one TV show can create so many memes

Well

Easy to see why the club was interested. Genuine reasons to be excited by this kid

But if one of our best 6-7 mids goes down over the next 2-3 years, who've we got to come in? Ainsworth/Brayshaw/Ah Chee/O'Neill maybe in a year or so. That's pretty poor depth I think.
And in 2-3 yrs time when Redden and Hutchings especially, and Shuey maybe, are gone or on the wane big time, who do we replace with as a best 22 mid. None of Ainsworth/Ah Chee/Brayshaw would you want as best 22. O'Neill an unknown, but he's got a very long way to go.
Yet in the backline, outside our best 7 (Gov Barrass Shep Hurn Jetta Duggan and say Schoey) we've still got Cole, Watson and Nelson - who have all shown they're adept, plus Rotham who deserves a run at it, plus Allen and Brander who both are capable of being swung back (and Brander may need to go back to get a chance to cut it at AFL), plus even Edwards who people are talking up.
So why draft another HBF!?!?
I've had it up to here with these recruiters/list managers, after drafting flankers for years hoping they'd be mids, then foregoing the opportunity to take Kelly at a cheaper price only to pay a King's Ransom for him later.

Um don't we also have drafts and trading opportunities in the next 2-3 years as well?

Our 1st pick was 47 mate, then 58. Do you think there would be a top line mid still on the shelf at 47? We went a top 4 project ruck. Smart move.

Pick 58 we went a fast / agile / skillful half back / winger. Monocle described him as one of the highest skilled players in the draft but will need time to bulk up and develop.

Last time I looked rucks and wingers / half backs are all pretty much midfielders.

Plus we added Kelly, an undisputed blue chip midfielder.

And landed a steal in O'Neill 2.0 who is a back to back U18 All Australian pure mid ranked between 30 - 50 but slid to our 2nd rookie pick.

We then re rookied a pure inside mid in Brayshaw and a HFF / mid in Ah chee.

Developing we have Ainsworth, O'Neill 1.0 and Foley. Petro is another HFF / winger.

So in reality we have added to the quality of our depth and added reasonable quality and quantity to our developing mid cohort.

Who would have you picked BTW?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um don't we also have drafts and trading opportunities in the next 2-3 years as well?

Our 1st pick was 47 mate, then 58. Do you think there would be a top line mid still on the shelf at 47? We went a top 4 project ruck. Smart move.

Pick 58 we went a fast / agile / skillful half back / winger. Monocle described him as one of the highest skilled players in the draft but will need time to bulk up and develop.

Last time I looked rucks and wingers / half backs are all pretty much midfielders.

Plus we added Kelly, an undisputed blue chip midfielder.

And landed a steal in O'Neill 2.0 who is a back to back U18 All Australian pure mid ranked between 30 - 50 but slid to our 2nd rookie pick.

We then re rookied a pure inside mid in Brayshaw and a HFF / mid in Ah chee.

Developing we have Ainsworth, O'Neill 1.0 and Foley. Petro is another HFF / winger.

So in reality we have added to the quality of our depth and added reasonable quality and quantity to our developing mid cohort.

Who would have you picked BTW?

VOZZO SHOULD HAVE TRADED BACK INTO THE TOP 10!!! DIDN'T EVEN TRY!!! FOLD THE CLUB!!! :drunk:

Saying we "drafted another half back" looks at it too simplistically.

Johnson looks like being in the Jetta & Watson category rather than the Cole, Nelson and Duggan category with Hurn and Rotham being hybrid types.

On this basis, I like the selection.

The reality is that our midfield depth looks better now than it did the season just gone by so we did something well. We added A Grade quality in Kelly and very promising in O'Neill and kept the main depth we have had on the list for a while. We also added to other obvious areas of need.

I ask this question with genuine curiosity:

What is it with our club and half back flankers?

We LOVE halfback flankers, there wouldn't be a single draft that goes by where we haven't either seriously looked at one, or more typically, recruited one.

Need a midfielder? Half back flanker

Need a half forward? half back flanker

Need someone on the wing? Half back flanker

Need a ruckman? Half back flanker

Ok so the last one was taking the piss, but you see where I am going with this. We have a damn near obsession with half back flankers. And if we aren't playing them in the backline, we try and mould them to other positions

I laugh every year because it just isn't an eagles draft without a lot of work put into at least one half back flanker

Possible beagles team

B Robertson Edwards cole
Hb Rotham schofield watson
C Xon Ainsworth nelson
Hf Waterman Brander Ah chee
F treacy Williams Cameron
Foll vardy Venables Brayshaw
Int Jamerson O'Neill

On paper, this team should be killing it

What we will likely get though is some middling performances by Ah Chee and Brander with the occasional dominant outing and scrape into the finals

If you watched Treacy in the semi-final against the Beagles he was electric against some pretty good defenders. Plus at 22 he is a fairly mature body. Averaging over a goal a game at WAFL level is pretty good in your first year at that level.
I remember the commentators were to Tracy as Mcavaney was to Cyril .

I ask this question with genuine curiosity:

What is it with our club and half back flankers?

We LOVE halfback flankers, there wouldn't be a single draft that goes by where we haven't either seriously looked at one, or more typically, recruited one.

Need a midfielder? Half back flanker

Need a half forward? half back flanker

Need someone on the wing? Half back flanker

Need a ruckman? Half back flanker

Ok so the last one was taking the piss, but you see where I am going with this. We have a damn near obsession with half back flankers. And if we aren't playing them in the backline, we try and mould them to other positions

I laugh every year because it just isn't an eagles draft without a lot of work put into at least one half back flanker

Premiership captain? Back flanker*

*75% of the time, it works every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back