List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask this question with genuine curiosity:

What is it with our club and half back flankers?

We LOVE halfback flankers, there wouldn't be a single draft that goes by where we haven't either seriously looked at one, or more typically, recruited one.

Need a midfielder? Half back flanker

Need a half forward? half back flanker

Need someone on the wing? Half back flanker

Need a ruckman? Half back flanker

Ok so the last one was taking the piss, but you see where I am going with this. We have a damn near obsession with half back flankers. And if we aren't playing them in the backline, we try and mould them to other positions

I laugh every year because it just isn't an eagles draft without a lot of work put into at least one half back flanker

Given our most recent premiership was won off the performance of our half back line I reckon our list managers fetish for that position is well and truly justified.

Probably the most important position on the ground in modern football bar none.

I ask this question with genuine curiosity:

What is it with our club and half back flankers?

We LOVE halfback flankers, there wouldn't be a single draft that goes by where we haven't either seriously looked at one, or more typically, recruited one.

Need a midfielder? Half back flanker

Need a half forward? half back flanker

Need someone on the wing? Half back flanker

Need a ruckman? Half back flanker

Ok so the last one was taking the piss, but you see where I am going with this. We have a damn near obsession with half back flankers. And if we aren't playing them in the backline, we try and mould them to other positions

I laugh every year because it just isn't an eagles draft without a lot of work put into at least one half back flanker
This is fair (although not so much last year) but I don't actually see it as an overstocked position at all. With Jetta and Hurn into their 30s who have we got pushing through the ranks? Shep hardly plays like a flanker, Duggan is a good player but will hopefully aspire to move further up the ground. Other than that we have Nelson, Cole and Watson all of whom I like but they haven't locked down a spot yet.

You might be able to throw in a Foley or an O'Neill (both) or Rotham but none of these were really considered as half backs when they were drafted as far as I recall?

It's a meme, sure. But I don't think the club are actually overdoing it.

Given our most recent premiership was won off the performance of our half back line I reckon our list managers fetish for that position is well and truly justified.

Probably the most important position on the ground in modern football bar none.

If you don't bottom out to get the best pure mids on offer you need to add class in the next most important part of the ground from a ball use perspective. And that's rebounding / attacking half backs.

If you don't bottom out to get the best pure mids on offer you need to add class in the next most important part of the ground from a ball use perspective. And that's rebounding / attacking half backs.

Yep, Adding Kelly can't under understated too. At 25 he's still got 5 or 6 elite years in him.

The only position I'm genuinely concerned for in the short/medium and long term is ruck stocks. Which The club seems to be trying to address.

Our depth next year in that area is scary to say the least. We can't just assume Nic Nat gets through a whole year, because realistically speaking that won't happen (and shouldn't happen if we manage him right). Vardy injury history is arguably worse than Nic Nat's, and he's no spring chicken either.

I wouldnt mind another Petrie/Hickey type stop/gap at some point.

Hawks apparently interested in Parto...
"Delisted Hawk Darren Minchington has been training at Waverley Park in the possibility of earning a lifeline, while they've also shown interest in Magarey medallist Luke Partington (pictured)."

On Ah Chee and Brayshaw, has a player ever come back from being rookie listed to having a decent career?*

I know there are examples of players being delisted and going to other clubs and doing well, but I'm struggling to think of someone in Ah Chee/Brayshaw's position doing so.

* Big Frase doesn't count

Ryan Crowley, delisted by Freo and rookie listed then made it back on their list

Very happy with the draft picks WC were able to generate under the circumstances prior the national draft.

Best of luck to their AFL career.

Remember

"NO TO"
images (1).jpeg
Or it can end up in smoke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Ah Chee and Brayshaw, has a player ever come back from being rookie listed to having a decent career?*

I know there are examples of players being delisted and going to other clubs and doing well, but I'm struggling to think of someone in Ah Chee/Brayshaw's position doing so.

K

Does CEY count? :cool:

Getting O’Niell in is an absolute steal. Happy with the Johnson pick as well.

Still not convinced we needed Jamieson when mids were available but need to give him a chance.

Neville Jetta has been pretty good since getting delisted in 2013.

Jetta at Melbourne is a great example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back