List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what I love? That we have actually been active in trade week for the last few years.

For the longest time, we were absolutely non starters in trade week. We would hardly trade, ever. I used to joke with my friends that our list management team used to hit Bali a week early because they used to do nothing over the trade period.

Now all of a sudden, the last few years we have actually become active, bringing Jetta, Vardy, Hickey, Yeo, Redden, Cripps and Kelly. These are quality acquisitions, and potentially a 3rd of our best 22.

I love the change in our attitude. It sure beats the days when you can all but guarantee we would be doing a whole lot of not much 😂

You know what I love? That we have actually been active in trade week for the last few years.

For the longest time, we were absolutely non starters in trade week. We would hardly trade, ever. I used to joke with my friends that our list management team used to hit Bali a week early because they used to do nothing over the trade period.

Now all of a sudden, the last few years we have actually become active, bringing Jetta, Vardy, Hickey, Yeo, Redden, Cripps and Kelly. These are quality acquisitions, and potentially a 3rd of our best 22.

I love the change in our attitude. It sure beats the days when you can all but guarantee we would be doing a whole lot of not much 😂

In the era of free agency and players breaking contracts readily the draft is becoming less and less important.

For all hawthorns trades that look like good deals they aren’t actually bringing in A graders. Their list looks a little ordinary with no clear path to premiership success.

Yeah we beat the s**t Hawks team by 1 pt then they came to Perth and ****ed up our Premiership plans .
They aren’t as bad as you think ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, Essendon is the one that comes to mind. You'd be packing Daniher's car for pick 5 if you're replacing him with Patton for a third rounder.

Zac Smith, who wasn't even offered a contract by Geelong, is getting traded for pick 58 which will be better than what GWS get for Patton. To make it even worse Geelong will then be using pick 58 for Steven. Which mean Geelong are getting a 4 time club champ for the cost of a player they didn't even ******* offer a contract to!

Remember also that Geelong cleared cap space to try and retain Kelly. That cap space has to go somewhere. They are essentially banking on doing what we are doing. Trying to top up for a flag. Their top up plan may last 1-2 years, ours may last for 3-4.

I wouldn't be unhappy to be a Geelong supporter going into next year. However they are starting to look short on defensive stocks particularly if Blicavs has to play ruck. Blicavs + Ratugolea is really not a workable ruck setup over the course of an entire season and if Hawkins, Selwood or Duncan fall away at all their run is done. A lot Riding on Darcy Fort because abbott is about as good as brooksby.

They are definitely still in with a shot next year and brought in some great talent the last couple of years and will again this year.

The other side of the coin is that when clubs like dealing with us, they’re quicker to come to us with pick swap suggestions, or listen to our suggestions.

We’ve cleaned up on those lately. Would we have been able to do so if we were an Essendon that clubs dread dealing with?

this.

If someone can show me the evidence to how being "tough traders" leads to premierships I'm all ears

And this is why they’ll do a deal for Hill

No trade they get 7 and Henry. And they’d go into points deficit if a bid comes earlier than 14 for Henry

Get another two picks inside 20 for Hill and they pick the eyes out of the WA pool

Trade Aish in for a future 3rd and they’ve replaced Langdon with an equally talented player on less money

Makes for a pretty decent trade period tbh
Get menadue for nothing also .
Its a great risk / reward acquisition if longmuir is trying to replicate collingwoods game style .

Menedue has blistering pace good endurance and an accurate long kick . Bit like hoskin-elliot .

Menedue just doesnt fit into the richmond tough rolling maul game style

this.

If someone can show me the evidence to how being "tough traders" leads to premierships I'm all ears

Also taking your pants down at the trade table and giving players/picks away for less ala GWS and GCS also doesn't lead to premierships.

I'm happy sitting in the middle and having a reputation as being a fair trader. After the Kelly trade i feel we're not quite in the middle.

I do like the fact we get involved in pick swaps though, a lot.

Freo board spends weeks posturing and beating their chest about a 2019 first and 2020 first coming in for Hill. Bell is the saviour. Finally they’re playing hard ball.

It’s an awkwardly placed first (given they have Henry to bid on) and a future second rounder (in the draft they’ve spent weeks bashing as compromised). Meltdowns imminent.

They want to win trade period so badly, poor things. Love getting our deals done early and just watching the melts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo board spends weeks posturing and beating their chest about a 2019 first and 2020 first coming in for Hill. Bell is the saviour. Finally they’re playing hard ball.

It’s an awkwardly placed first (given they have Henry to bid on) and a second rounder. Meltdowns imminent.

They want to win trade period so badly, poor things. Love getting our deals done early and just watching the melts.
Melbourne a good chance to bid on Henry with their newly acquired #8 pick as they are after a small forward.

Becoming increasingly evident that clubs don’t rate this draft
Melbourne seem to and don't rate next years, So seems 2 years of poor drafts coming. Good year to get Kelly.

But Melbourne really backing themselves in. is pick 8 plus a year of development really worth likely giving a similar pick next year plus the second and third this year. Doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back