Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Its not bad going, but I think its hilarious that the AFLPA president was extremely quiet this trade period when it came to players wanting to be traded to certain locations due to compassionate reasons / their own welfare.

Hypocrisy of the highest order has occured here. Geelong has profited massively and Dark Sharks' analysis shows how much theyve gained out of Steven. If he rocks up and kills it next year, then questions will be asked.
No one will ask questions other than Saints fans. Commentators will just gush over Geelong’s ability to turn Steven’s career around after throwing him a lifeline...

Spange

Club Legend
May 24, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NBA: Thunder
Finished 8th last year.

I suspect he did a McCarthy and sat out much of the year after Geelong got in his ear

Hard to prove that.

I can't see Geelong getting in his ear and saying "look mate, we want you to come play for us. Sit out and claim mental illness, tell everyone you need to move and we'll nab you in the trade period for nix"

But to give him up for F*&K all when his best is pretty good is confusing. Are St Kilda the good Samaritans of the draft whilst Geelong are the biggest campaigners going?

Do St Kilda do this because they know he is cooked and just want something back for him? Maybe there is another gentleman's agreement in place.

I'm highly doubtful that Steven is going to be anything less of a fat bogan by living down the road from his folks.

That would be some sweet karma for Geelong but I think Stevens will go alright for at least a season. Simply getting out of Moorabbin would have to improve your outlook, at least temporarily.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Hard to prove that.

I can't see Geelong getting in his ear and saying "look mate, we want you to come play for us. Sit out and claim mental illness, tell everyone you need to move and we'll nab you in the trade period for nix"

But to give him up for F*&K all when his best is pretty good is confusing. Are St Kilda the good Samaritans of the draft whilst Geelong are the biggest campaigners going?

Do St Kilda do this because they know he is cooked and just want something back for him? Maybe there is another gentleman's agreement in place.
He’s not cooked - he played an amazing game at the end of the season (vs freo?) and won it off his own boot. And he wasn’t fit at all. Give him a strong preseason with the promise of finals and he’ll dominate next year IMO.

it’s hard to prove of course. But I think even if it’s not true and he did sit out with mental health issues, then it’s hardly the same as someone whose body is shot. He could easily get his head right and play at a high level for another few years.

I'm highly doubtful that Steven is going to be anything less of a fat bogan by living down the road from his folks.

I hope you are correct friendo 🙏

Although now he's back even closer to home, fresh start, new club, good midfield etc etc i'd be surprised if Steven didn't line up in their round 1 team and see out the rest of his fairly decent career at a reasonably high standard.

If he goes to Geelong and doesn't even get on the park then my rambling about how talented he is should be disregarded, and probably mocked.

Spange

Club Legend
May 24, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NBA: Thunder
He’s not cooked - he played an amazing game at the end of the season (vs freo?) and won it off his own boot. And he wasn’t fit at all. Give him a strong preseason with the promise of finals and he’ll dominate next year IMO.

it’s hard to prove of course. But I think even if it’s not true and he did sit out with mental health issues, then it’s hardly the same as someone whose body is shot. He could easily get his head right and play at a high level for another few years.

I agree too that a player can turn around mental issue depending on the circumstances and issues they are going through. He could come back better than before! That game you mention against Freo he had 22 disposals and kicked three goals from the forward pocket and he was pretty underdone.

I clipped this from a news article "But he added the No. 1 priority for St Kilda was the mental health of Steven, who spent time away from the Saints to refresh a couple of times in 2019."

Refreshing if true and Geelong took full advantage of this and fingered us a treat with a player they held in prison over there.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Meanwhile we took the SECOND best midfielder from Geelong and it cost us a kings ransom.
I think we also paid for the perception that he's a second year player, who are usually 19 and the good ones have 10+ years left in them.

The reality is he's 25 and at the same career point as a Macrae / Whitfield, and we'll be lucky for him to complete his full contract of 6 years.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we also paid for the perception that he's a second year player, who are usually 19 and the good ones have 10+ years left in them.

The reality is he's 25 and at the same career point as a Macrae / Whitfield, and we'll be lucky for him to complete his full contract of 6 years.
On the other hand - his chassis looks strong and he is resilient. He would have relatively little wear from playing WAFL.

FKASC wouldn't THIS just cap it all off 😫

Just to add to Geelongs absurd trade period they could potentially add a 5 mark, 2 goal a game forward on reduced salary, with his old club paying for him...

All for a packet of Cheezels.

1571205784372.png

Jenkins goal tally's

1571205999962.png

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
FKASC wouldn't THIS just cap it all off 😫

Just to add to Geelongs absurd trade period they could potentially add a 5 mark, 2 goal a game forward on reduced salary, with his old club paying for him...

All for a packet of Cheezels.

View attachment 765860

Jenkins goal tally's

View attachment 765862
They sure are winning trade week despite failing to win many finals lately.

In isolation I don’t care that much that they get older players cheaply, but I’m concerned that they’ll also be able to rebuild by holding onto so many of their good draft picks.

Jenkins will be a handy player alongside Hawkins.

It is a bit funny how they’re cobbling together all of these senior players from other sides to try and win a flag though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swarhily

All Australian
Aug 4, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Are freo set on having a handful of decent players surrounded by plebs for the rest of their existence?

Also I was in school with Acres in the same year and he was a bit of a campaigner to me but I made myself a pretty easy target with the haircut i was sporting :drunk:

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL

We’ve skipped the learning and development phase and hooked into the ready to dominate stage ..
Money well spent I reckon..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stevens five years older and out on stress leave for most of 2019 is a big difference to Kelly.

He's 4 years older.

Steven still played the final 3 rounds of 2019 including a 22 disposal, 3 goal game vs Fremantle. So he HAS made the return to football, it's not like he's still on stress leave.

You don't think the stress factor will be alleviated once he moves home closer to family and friends?

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Jenkins has kicked more goals than Darling has over the past 5 years. Most from the goal square obviously, but it's all scored the same.

Pick 93 with his former club paying most/half of his salary... Righto.
He's 4 years older.

Steven still played the final 3 rounds of 2019 including a 22 disposal, 3 goal game vs Fremantle. So he HAS made the return to football, it's not like he's still on stress leave.

You don't think the stress factor will be alleviated once he moves home closer to family and friends?

Everyone knows Geelong are stingy campaigners.

Geelong have just lost one of their best players to a rival in premier contention. They also got nothing out of the trade which immediately strengthens their list for 2020. They are cobbling together a team that will prevent them from bottoming out next year in the hope that they can get another year in to their younger players and transition their list.

I'm struggling to understand why you're having such strong feelings about trades which don't involve West Coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back