List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Coast are committed too using picks 1 & 2 in this draft on Rowell and Anderson. If Martin nominates for the draft he may get thru to pick 9 (Carltons first pick). But a lot of others have picks before (Bulldogs , Melbourne etc ).
In a PSD situation Suns will take him first pick. (Would be a top leader in NEAFL - huge depth player).
Most likely though he will sign a 1 year contract - and try his arse off to impress - leading into his free agency year.
Carlton and his management clearly thought he could do what Lynch, May and others have done - play s**t all year but still get to go where they wanted.
Pretty sure Martin won't try Melbourne again after being rejected by both Essendon and Carlton in consecutive years.
Think we should go hard for him next year....:)
I'd love to see the Carlton fans' reaction if they use pick 9 on Martin, after turning down a trade of pick 9 for Martin + 15. :eek:

If geelongs oldies stay fit they'll go alright again next year and they will get a few good draftees too

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yep, they will have another chance of top 4 next year, one last year, and then downwards they spiral.

Can understand now why no Clubs like to try and trade with Essendon. What an idiot - they should have grabbed that deal with both hands. Will this make it awkward for Daniher now following all this hoo ha? Also what were Daniher's reason wanting to leave Essendon - you would have thought with the history of Essendon and the Daniher name that he would have been content to play out his career with the Bombers?
Mismanagement of his groin injuries and bringing him back too early are his apparent gripes

Patton, even when fit is bog average

If they can keep him fit, you can guarantee Hawthorn will get something good out of him.

He has also suffered from being played to his weaknesses rather than strengths to an extent due to the nature and composition of GWS's forward line.

Patton is not a hit-up leading forward and never will be. He is more of a classical full forward that wants to be deep near to goal in a one-on-one marking tussle.

GWS play a largely unstructured attack, with both small and key forwards being used in mobile roles pushing up the ground, allowing midfielders to overlap and be presented with goal scoring options. Patton always was a square peg trying to be fit into a round hole even when not injured.

You can bet Clarkson will not be so wasteful with his talent. I expect to see Hawthorn next season utilising Patton in a similar manner to how Richmond have deployed T.J.Lynch - start him deep, clearing everyone else out up the ground to create one-on-one marking contests, with the subsequent ground ball being attacked by multiples running forward and hitting the contest at pace.

Considering Patton has effectively already done half a preseason now due to his recent antics of training but refusing to play for even the GWS reserves, I would expect that by March he should be well-conditioned and ready to go.

I would not be at all surprised if he were to go on and kick 40+ goals next year.

Mismanagement of his groin injuries and bringing him back too early are his apparent gripes

Strongly doubt this is the case. Daniher runs in straight lines, has a wooden back and clearly is weak through the hip flexors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aish is a crab and will soon be shat on by the purple supporters, just like crab Kersten.
Fremantle keep patting themselves on the back for their trading expertise.
I can only see C class talent.
Conca
Kersten
McCarthy
Matera
Aish
Wilson
Colyer
Acres
These guys aren’t going to send you shooting up the ladder any time soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having traded our first rounder next year in the Kelly trade are we even allowed to trade another future pick?

46 in 2019 plus 2020 third round pick for pick upgrade in 2019. If this gets done it gets done on draft day depending on how the draft unfolds.

If they can keep him fit, you can guarantee Hawthorn will get something good out of him.

He has also suffered from being played to his weaknesses rather than strengths to an extent due to the nature and composition of GWS's forward line.

Patton is not a hit-up leading forward and never will be. He is more of a classical full forward that wants to be deep near to goal in a one-on-one marking tussle.

GWS play a largely unstructured attack, with both small and key forwards being used in mobile roles pushing up the ground, allowing midfielders to overlap and be presented with goal scoring options. Patton always was a square peg trying to be fit into a round hole even when not injured.

You can bet Clarkson will not be so wasteful with his talent. I expect to see Hawthorn next season utilising Patton in a similar manner to how Richmond have deployed T.J.Lynch - start him deep, clearing everyone else out up the ground to create one-on-one marking contests, with the subsequent ground ball being attacked by multiples running forward and hitting the contest at pace.

Considering Patton has effectively already done half a preseason now due to his recent antics of training but refusing to play for even the GWS reserves, I would expect that by March he should be well-conditioned and ready to go.

I would not be at all surprised if he were to go on and kick 40+ goals next year.

The idea of Patton moving to the ball one on one is amusing. He’s a bully in a pack but he’s no Lynch lacking both speed and agility.

Can a club live trade to hide a pick that would be eaten up by an academy bid after the bid is put in?

No, always has been once the bid is in you have to use the picks on hand in order to match.

However the loophole was you could trade out your highest pick before the bid, match with the remaining picks, and then go on to trade that highest pick back in.
This is what Sydney did last year (with our assistance) for Blakey, matching pick 10 with 34, 39 & 40 when they had 25 on hand.

Details haven't been publicised in regard to how this loophole has been closed for this year - my assumption is that it would take the form of making any pick in a club's possession that is of higher value than any used by that same club to match a bid is then unable to be used in the draft unless it is traded on to another club.

we're allowed to trade one of our 3rds (ours or Geelong's)

So we have two 3rd in 2020.

Wonder if we can trade two if we get a future 5th back?

Looking at the draft order now Brisbane has picks 52 and 55 that could be gettable.

Can see Freo live trading picks after the Henry bid. If not thwy use 7 , 10 and wont have a pick until after ours as the Henry cost will use them.

A WA slider to our 46?

This draft just sux with a first pick in the 40's.:(:poo:

any chance you could post the comments?

" Football manager Craig Vozzo said the club would likely take advantage of the ability to continue trading picks up to and during the national draft ."

" Our guys have spoken to various clubs over the last few days around the possibility of pairing 46 with a future pick in order to get up the order this year , Vozzo told thewest ."

" Thats something we'll continue to explore , there's potential to trade up the order in the period to the draft and on draft night ."

" We want to keep our options as open as we can in this respect " .

Scott Clayton and Rohan O'Brien are our two recruiters accessing the draft options etc .

Last edited:
Why do old club pay partial contract to traded players? I don’t quite understand the meaning behind it. Can someone explain?

It’s just part of the bargain, if one of the motivations for trading a player (for example Jenkins) out is getting their overinflated salary off the books and the other club (Geelong) doesn’t want to pay the whole lot, the club getting rid of the player (Adelaide) can offer to pay some of it as an inducement.

" Football manager Craig Vozzo said the club would likely take advantage of the ability to continue trading picks up to and during the national draft ."

" Our guys have spoken to various clubs over the last few days around the possibility of pairing 46 with a future pick in order to get up the order this year , Vozzo told thewest ."

" Thats something we'll continue to explore , there's potential to trade up the order in the period to the draft and on draft night ."

" We want to keep our options as open as we can in this respect " .

Scott Clayton and Rohan O'Brien are our two recruiters accessing the draft options etc .
Plenty of clubs that will have an interest in our future picks, due to number of academy prospects in next years draft.

I was originally concerned with the price we paid for Kelly.
But in hindsight we did exceptionally well securing the best player in the trade period, addressed our immediate need and setting up a tantalising pairing of Nic Nat and Kelly.
And how insightful are our recruiting team in securing a number of key talks over the last couple of drafts.
It now appears that there is s real dearth of quality talls available in the upcomeing drafts.

Plenty of clubs that will have an interest in our future picks, due to number of academy prospects in next years draft.

I’d be looking at Sydney’s pick 44 or Brisbane’s pick 48 in exchange for Geelong’s future third. Both clubs have academy kids they’ll need to match bids on. Geelong’s third is unlikely to end up as high as 44 unless they really s**t the bed next year, but the points might be more valuable to Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back