List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This .

Plus it would then give us scope to trade 46 & the 50ish picks bundled together to get a much better first pick.
That would get us one much more decent prospect and when we get to the tail end of the draft if none of the new cohort appeal we just go Sneeze or Hammer .
Who ever misses out we try to pick up as a rookie.

IMO can’t see the Crumbles having any interest in Hammer their midfield is slow and pedestrian as it is , they won’t want any more plodders in their starting 22. They are going to miss the leg speed of Langdon and Hill big time.
The combined loss of those two players make what was an already slow team..... even slower.
Hawks look like getting a bid of their father son before their pick 30 .

46 + future 3rd for 30 ?

They do owe us for releasing mitchell from his coaching contract

We will most likley use it on a random vic kid who would have been there at 46 overlooking a much hyped big footy favorite

it could be that west coast don't even want to take their 2nd pick as it stands (~90) and would rather give hamish or chee a 2 year contract over a speculative kid this year. i got a feeling we may only be adding one new kid to the main list this year. wouldnt be shocked if we had a list of 38/6 come end of draft.
I think the last part is the key. Allows us to go 38/6 from 39/5.

Watson plus 2 draftees gives us 38, then a heap of RD picks (with 2 committed to Brayshaw and Ah Chee).

I also wouldn't be surprised to see us leave a spot open for the SSP. We may want to try out a couple of players with the option of rookie listing them.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I should know better than drifting and posting on the main board, but Carlton fans thinking they 'win' the Martin non-deal is hilarious.

Sure, they have been winning trade week for yonks (and most of their supporters can outdo even obeanie with crazy trade scenarios), but this is next level.

$1m year 1, $560k for the next 4 years. That is top dollar plus some.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dumb way to go about it from a tax perspective. Getting hit with the top marginal threshold in the first year, and then being well under the $180k for the remaining four years.

We have to draft 3 players. By delisting Brayshaw and Ah Chee we can redraft them and that counts as 2 out of our 3. Upgrading Watson from rookie gets our third.

Use pick 43, redraft 1 and upgrade Watson. Rookie list the last.

I think it its actually reinforcing the fact that we value Brayshaw and Ah Chee more then the later rounds of this draft. We don't want to be forced to use picks on players we don't rate. If we have to use late picks I would rather we use them on Ah Chee and Brayshaw then kids in a weak draft.

This is all salary cap management. De-listing and re-rookieing saves us 85k per player in the salary cap as rookie wages can be paid outside the cap.

The club then weighs up the (arguably negligible) risk of losing one of Ah Chee / Brayshaw against losing a proven gun because they can't be paid. In all likelihood, neither player will be picked up and the club retains the depth while pocketing 170k in space for next year.

Solid list management imo.

On the news now, Fremantle 'may' be interested in picking up Brayshaw...
Curious situation hypothetically, if we lost both players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brayshaw is just far too slow sadly. Sounds like a ripper guy from what I hear on the club podcasts.

This is just a non-event and shuffling around players for salary cap. My guess is that we re-draft Ah Chee at 90 rather than use it on kid, and shift Brayshaw to rookie list.

On the news now, Fremantle 'may' be interested in picking up Brayshaw...
Curious situation hypothetically, if we lost both players?
Not a massive loss if we did, don't think either will ever be permanent best 22 players for us. Might as well take a shot on an unknown who might turn into something.

I'm a bit confused. Why are we delisting both Ah Chee and Brayshaw? It's not like we're able to take anyone in the main draft to replace them, and I very highly doubt anyone we take in the rookie draft would be better than them.

We already have room on the list for our picks without delisting them, and I doubt we'd trade for more late picks, given that it's basically slim pickings after around Pick 50. Maybe we want to guarantee Joe Bolton a two year contract? I guess we could have more players in mind, but I highly doubt they'd be any better than either Ah Chee or Hamish. It just seems like an unnecessary risk, though it depends on what we plan to do.

We could be looking at picking up both Sokol and Joe Bolton - that basically means we'd need to take Sokol at 46 and Bolton with a pick earlier than 91. Otherwise, we're likely looking at certain players who won't last after 48-59, which means we're going to be trading Geelong's future third for two picks in the 50s.

Hopefully we have a certain goal in mind, otherwise it just looks like an unneccesary risk.

The club doesnt do this without a goal in mind.

In the case we redraft Ah chee and Brayshaw to the rookie list the first $85k of their salary comes outside the cap.

We are very confident they will be redrafted.

We are looking at trading in another pick likely using one of our two 2020 3rds deal with Brisbane.

Picks 46 and 52 can still land a couple of quality kids to work with.

With our last main draft pick we will pull the trigger on what we rate the best mature player remaining. Or leave a spot open for the SSP (as mentioned after I originally posted) or we go with a 38/6 list to manage salary cap and 2020 options (also mentioned after my original post)

Hope thats not too wacky for some people to understand! o_O o_O

Not you CM9000

Last edited:
Not a massive loss if we did, don't think either will ever be permanent best 22 players for us. Might as well take a shot on an unknown who might turn into something.
For sure, just wondering what midfield depth we actually have in case of injuries etc, for the A-team?
Venables, Hutchings...?

Brayshaw is just far too slow sadly. Sounds like a ripper guy from what I hear on the club podcasts.

This is just a non-event and shuffling around players for salary cap. My guess is that we re-draft Ah Chee at 90 rather than use it on kid, and shift Brayshaw to rookie list.
We wont redraft ahchee at 90 as it will mean giving him a 2 year contract.
We would just go with an extra rookie so 6 total if their was no other talent left .

If we dont rate the talent then picking up rookies who can be cut after a year would be smart .

We might even be looking at some of our NGA kids for rookie spots . Im pretty sure you can put it to the afl if your NGA and father sons arent picked in the national draft you can automatically take them as rookies.

Essendon did it with long a few years back

We wont redraft ahchee at 90 as it will mean giving him a 2 year contract.
We would just go with an extra rookie so 6 total if their was no other talent left .

If we dont rate the talent then picking up rookies who can be cut after a year would be smart .

We might even be looking at some of our NGA kids for rookie spots . Im pretty sure you can put it to the afl if your NGA and father sons arent picked in the national draft you can automatically take them as rookies.

Essendon did it with long a few years back
`
I am almost certain that mature age players who have been on lists are not on mandatory 2 year deals like the kids. They come under a different category now as they can specify their own terms. It was different until the rules were changed 2-3 years ago.

`
I am almost certain that mature age players who have been on lists are not on mandatory 2 year deals like the kids. They come under a different category now as they can specify their own terms. It was different until the rules were changed 2-3 years ago.
Fair enough but can you think of any player delisted then redrafted to the main list by the same club ?

I cant think of any so not really any president to go by

Ainsworth and Oneil.

People forget Ainsworth has played a few AFL games already.
Nelson would probably be playing regular midfield if playing wafl this year .
Hutch i assume would be in and out of the senior side too .

Midfield depth would be
Hutch
Nelson
Venables
Ahchee
Brayshaw
Ainsworth
O'Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back