List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle,!

So mate this draft looks like a very different one for us. Late picks and rookies so not much point looking at the top 40 prospects.

Have you had the time to digest the draft hand we have left and what to do.

IMO we should be looking at a few different strategies withplayer who have had early set backs but have improved.

Rucks - let have a look around at those guys who are in their early 20's who have been building up after either a late start or injury set back who now are on a decent incline of improvement.

Ex AFL youngsters. Can we find the next Menagola? Thiughts on Mitch Hibberd the Tassie lad cut by Norths a year or two ago. Reports he is really lifted his endurance and stregnth and getting plenty of ball as a 190cm inside mid. 23 years old.

Surely there is a semi mature ager in the WAFL who has shown at that level they have the traits. Who is the next Kelly or Picket?

Look North and see if another small indigenous forward is on the up. We have out NnGA kids as well.

Do we look at a cheap depth top up such as Newnes from the Saints or dare I say Murray delisted by Collingwood.

With picks this low do we need to take more risk to get a reward?

Last edited:
Monocle,!

So mate this draft looks like a very different one for us. Late picks and rookies so not much point looking at the top 40 prospects.

IMO we should be looking at a few different strategies withplayer who have had early set backs but have improved.

Rucks - let have a look around at those guys who are in their early 20's who have been building up after either a late start or injury set back who now are on a decent incline of improvement.

Ex AFL youngsters. Can we find the next Menagola? Thiughts on Mitch Hibberd the Tassie lad cut by Norths a year or two ago. Reports he is really lifted his endurance and stregnth and getting plenty of ball as a 190cm inside mid. 23 years old.

Surely there is a semi mature ager in the WAFL who has shown at that level they have the traits. Who is the next Kelly or Picket?

Look North and see if another small indigenous forward is on the up. We have out NnGA kids as well.

Do we look at a cheap depth top up such as Newes from the Saints or dare I say Murray delisted by Collingwood.

Obeanie1 will answer in more detail latter about to have an early night.
Brief comment on a couple of names you have raised.

Hibberd's knees worry me he has popped a knee twice now and from memory had some shoulder trouble..... terrific footballer but injury prone.
Newnes is a name I would seriously consider.

There a quite are few different ways we could go with this, been giving it some thought through out the day, so I do have some ideas that I will post tomorrow night.

Monocle,!

Do we look at a cheap depth top up such as Newnes from the Saints or dare I say Murray delisted by Collingwood.

Exactly how I'm thinking with our picks now bar Murray. Could add some dash to the backline, but I just don't see us getting in Murray after what has happened with Willie.

Because we've completely paused our youth intake for 2 years..
We've gone ALL-IN on winning a flag in the next 4-5 years.
But if we dont we have busted and cant buy back in for a number of years.

Don't think for 1 second I'm upset that we have Tim Kelly.
But we've paid a king's ransom for a single player who has 5 or so years of elite football left.

That's not true, we've made it harder to pick quality sure, but not by that much to say we're out of the next two drafts.

We paid 14&24 from this year, that's two players (one balanced by Kelly coming in)

With 52 most likely dropping some places due to academy bid points, there's some sort of chance we'll get the same player (or around the same quality) at that pick that we would have with 33 in any case.

And next year we've lost one 1st (hopefully 18) and gained Geelong's 3rd (around 45), and we still have our 2nd and 3rd.

It doesn't feel all that bad a position to me considering what we gained.

Exactly how I'm thinking with our picks now bar Murray. Could add some dash to the backline, but I just don't see us getting in Murray after what has happened with Willie.

Can understand Murray.

Actually thought Newnes was older than 26. Played 20 and 22 games last two years.

We may be forced down the draft route if salary cap is tight. It in all likelihood is very tight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's all the hype for Garcia coming from? Just asking who is driving it. ;)

Where's all the hype for Garcia coming from? Just asking who is driving it. ;)

We’re going to need to send him on a camping trip at this rate

Now when grandpa Keys talks about old, he knows a lot about the subject so I take him seriously.

I have this image of pots and kettles calling each other names all of a sudden

We’re going to need to send him on a camping trip at this rate
Or let someone jump early and overpay. Either way.... :)

well I, and others it seems, have taken it to mean that a group of senior players have taken less cash than they could've demanded in preparation to be in a position to get another top line player.

Seemed very relevant to the discussion, but if you say it means nothing...

You’ve had compression issues twice. It means the big names are not on as much as the media thinks they’re on and others like Kennedy, Naitanui, Jetta and Hurn are on smaller contracts towards the back end of their career.

Good list management is just that and Vozzo is being polite and respectful of our playing group. He wasn’t suggesting anyone has had their contracts modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not true, we've made it harder to pick quality sure, but not by that much to say we're out of the next two drafts.

We paid 14&24 from this year, that's two players (one balanced by Kelly coming in)

With 52 most likely dropping some places due to academy bid points, there's some sort of chance we'll get the same player (or around the same quality) at that pick that we would have with 33 in any case.

And next year we've lost one 1st (hopefully 18) and gained Geelong's 3rd (around 45), and we still have our 2nd and 3rd.

It doesn't feel all that bad a position to me considering what we gained.

I’d go the other way and say losing picks is going to concentrate or optimise our player development on the talent we do have. When you have too many kids it becomes hard work to development with limited spots available should they deserve promotions to the AFL.

Any gap in our age profile can be amended after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monocle,!

Hibberd is a much improved player, has put on some size and has moved from being a flanker to inside bull.
Would be a great pick up but could see him being wasted on our list probably wouldnt get much of a run.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back