foschini

Draftee
Apr 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
soccer
I recorded a whole lot of 1989 Grand Final players for my book '1989 The Great Grand Final'. This is a lot of Hawthorn players talking about Jeans' Pay the Price speech - Dipper, Dermott, Langford, Wittman, Ayres, Anderson.

Here's the link to podcast episode.
OR magic link to your podcast player.

Here's more about 1989 Grand Final book.

Allan Jeans eulogy.jpg

Allan Jeans eulogy.jpg

Attachments

• 1989 the great grand final cover.jpg
    1989 the great grand final cover.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 137

Obviously needs to be upgraded to Legend like every other 4x VFL Premiership Coach. Was not good enough once the competition was no longer a minor suburban affair.

Grow up mate. Jeans had 1988 off because of ill health. He returned and coached the Hawks to the 89 flag after Alan Joyce coached them to the 88 flag. He then retired again at the end of 1990 and Joyce got to coach the Hawks to the 91 flag.

Jeans made a comeback to coaching at Richmond in 1992 and only lasted a year before ill health forced his permanent retirement from coaching.

Probably should be recognised as a six-time premiership coach.

I recorded a whole lot of 1989 Grand Final players for my book '1989 The Great Grand Final'. This is a lot of Hawthorn players talking about Jeans' Pay the Price speech - Dipper, Dermott, Langford, Wittman, Ayres, Anderson.

Here's the link to podcast episode.
OR magic link to your podcast player.

Here's more about 1989 Grand Final book.

View attachment 886577

View attachment 886577
Loved the book as a neutral. Great effort to re-tell such a well known story and keep it fresh and interesting. Cheers

Obviously needs to be upgraded to Legend like every other 4x VFL Premiership Coach. Was not good enough once the competition was no longer a minor suburban affair.

A Suburban record is probably better than the Oatey and Cahill comparitvely backyard records.

It's an interesting curiosity that the best game of VFL football ever played*, was also the last game of VFL football ever played.

*Yes, I know it doesn't hurt that it was captured on colour TV and apologies to the 1970 GF.
Best game ever...you have to be kidding. Geelong's non existent backline led by Darcy Shulze and Hocking handed Hawthorn too many easy goals all Fc#$ing day long. The Geelong would have won if the game went another 5 mins is one of the fairy tales of AFL football. And I will never understand why Yeates did not finish Brerton when he obviously had the chance should have belted him in a fashion even Jeans would have been proud of!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best game ever...you have to be kidding. Geelong's non existent backline led by Darcy Shulze and Hocking handed Hawthorn too many easy goals all Fc#$ing day long.
Yeah that's part of what made it the best game in VFL/AFL history - the high scoring. And it's also part of what made the narrative of the game so engrossing - Geelong with a few absolute cloggers but also one of the top 5 players to ever play the game, vs Hawthorn who were one of most even sides in football history.

I can't blame Hocking. Man played the game out with split bollock. Ouch.

Yeah that's part of what made it the best game in VFL/AFL history - the high scoring. And it's also part of what made the narrative of the game so engrossing - Geelong with a few absolute cloggers but also one of the top 5 players to ever play the game, vs Hawthorn who were one of most even sides in football history.

I can't blame Hocking. Man played the game out with split bollock. Ouch.
Jeans once again busted balls

Are you thick? West Coast were in the comp and didn't make it any harder..Why on earth would you have a go at Allan Jeans?

Best game ever...you have to be kidding. Geelong's non existent backline led by Darcy Shulze and Hocking handed Hawthorn too many easy goals all Fc#$ing day long. The Geelong would have won if the game went another 5 mins is one of the fairy tales of AFL football. And I will never understand why Yeates did not finish Brerton when he obviously had the chance should have belted him in a fashion even Jeans would have been proud of!
Yes but you are overlooking the run and carry of The Prince Bruce Lidner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back