Allianz Stadium (formerly Sydney Football Stadium)

ag6858

All Australian
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters, Sydney FC, Aus cricket
ALLIANZ STADIUM

aussie1.jpg

Opened: 1988

Operator: Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust

Capacity: 45,500

Record Crowd: 43,967 - 1993: FIFA World Cup Qualifier Australia v Argentina​

And before anyone shouts at me for making a non-AFL stadium thread:
No worries about non- AFL stadium threads.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
One interesting thing to note with Allianz Stadium is I believe there's only 2 change rooms. For NRL matches, if there's a Toyota Cup game on beforehand, the Toyota Cup sides have to use the cricket change rooms at the SCG!

Jan 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne City & Tottenham
One interesting thing to note with Allianz Stadium is I believe there's only 2 change rooms. For NRL matches, if there's a Toyota Cup game on beforehand, the Toyota Cup sides have to use the cricket change rooms at the SCG!

Haha! When they constructed it did they really only think of 2!? That's terrible that the TC teams use the SCG!

ag6858

All Australian
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters, Sydney FC, Aus cricket

Yeah, I think that's right. When I went on a tour there, I only saw 2 change rooms, and when I was at the SCG, I saw a third grade rugby union premiership written down on the makeshift honour boards by Gordon, for a match that they played at Allianz.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Yeah, I think that's right. When I went on a tour there, I only saw 2 change rooms, and when I was at the SCG, I saw a third grade rugby union premiership written down on the makeshift honour boards by Gordon, for a match that they played at Allianz.
Yeah we missed out on the Allianz change rooms because there was a NRL game that day, but we got the hurry up from the Australian change rooms at the SCG so the Toyota Cup side could start preparing the room.

A very interesting quirk of the stadium, yet at the same time lucky there's another stadium next door.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Been partly demolished under the NSW Coalition Government. Labor says they're not paying to rebuild it if they win the election in a few weeks.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
God, I hate local community groups who live stadiums. They just complain, despite the fact the stadium was normally there first.

Also, hate Labor obvious ploy to win votes. It has been knocked down, get over it. Not from NSW so talking as an outsider
I'm a Labor voter and the way they have carried on over the last few weeks has made me consider voting Liberal.
It's 2% of the infrastructure budget FFS.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Ill put it this way.
We have half a dozen thongs being built for infrastructure.

Not 1 would pass an election because no one ever wants to pay for it.

2nd airport? Nope
Heavy rail? Nope
Light rail? Nope
Roads? Nope

All wastes supposedly. No wonder we are going backwards.

Would I prefer the new SFS was 25k to 30k? Yes.
But that is an amazing stadium with top of the line facilities and safety features. Can't wait.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Going to be great when finished.

As a football fan, and having a wife who is rugby mad, this facility looks amazing.

With Parra almost finished and Stadium Australia being fixed into an actual design.
It's a good time to be a sports fan in Sydney.

SCG and the Showgrounds are great for Aussie Rules and Cricket.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
More sporting events? From where? ANZ Stadium that the government also owns anyway?

Building a shiny new stadium is one thing but they're reaching on what it'll achieve.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
There were no events to lose. The Roosters, Sydney FC and Waratahs were never leaving. AFL and cricket can't play on a rectangle. The Wallabies and Socceroos only go there when the crowd is so low as to make ANZ Stadium pointless.

Last edited:
If this is true, I'm ******* pissed. I only agreed with this redevelopment on the grounds of the media info about the engineering reports projecting costs in the hundreds of millions to make the place safe. If it was truly just $18m, what the * is the point of this whole mess??

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...n/news-story/7d8ecec4eeab1c295799cd2ace014b99

Allianz Stadium could hve been fixed for as little as $18 million, a secret report for the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust has revealed.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the stadium, in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, could have been ugraded to meet all safety standards and address “current non-compliance” for $18,153,800.
That’s in stark contrast to the Berejiklian Government’s claim that it would have cost $700 million to fix the safety issues.
Mr Daley told The Sydney Morning Herald the report “exposes once and for all their entire case for the stadium splurge to be nothing more than a sham”.
“Instead they wanted a gold plated stadium. What a disgrace,” he said.
STADIUM SCRAP
The government’s plan to knock down and rebuild a football stadium in Sydney has become one of the most contentious issues in the NSW election campaign.
Labor leader Michael Daley has vowed to cancel the demolition and rebuilding of Allianz Stadium at Moore Park and to instead refurbish the facility so that it complies with fire safety and evacuation standards.
But Premier Gladys Berejiklian had accused her opponent of being deliberately misleading in the debate and ignoring common economic sense.
Ms Berejiklian said project modelling had indicated it would cost $340 million to install “the basic safety requirements” at Allianz Stadium that independent certifiers had deemed a risk.
“Allianz Stadium is arguably contentious, but we had reports that said it was a fire and safety hazard,” Ms Berejiklian told news.com.au.
“The cost of refurbishing it with the basic safety requirements is $340 million. To do a proper refurb would be at least $700 million. We’re building a brand new stadium for $720 million.”
The difference between Labor’s plan — bringing Allianz Stadium up to standard in regards to safety — and the government’s total rebuild is “about $300 million”, Ms Berejiklian said.
“I know that’s a lot of money, but that’s the difference … the Leader of the Opposition hasn’t been honest in this debate.”

But Mr Daley has hit back, saying the premier is being misleading by not clarifying the financial impact to taxpayers.

“Her plan is $730 million all paid for by the taxpayer. My plan, the refurbishment, we’ll work out what the cost is once we have a chance to see what shape the place is in, but the premier has said it’s $348 million,” Mr Daley told news.com.au.

“The treasurer has said you can refurbish it for $348 million. The difference is, I’ll make the Trust take out a loan for the cost of the refurbishment. The cost to taxpayers – zero. Their plan - $730 million to the taxpayer. My plan – zero.”

Mr Daley said he will make the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust take out a loan for the cost of the refurbishment.

Mr Daley has repeatedly questioned the legitimacy of the SCG Trust’s claims that the stadium is unsafe as it is.

The Labor leader even claimed an existing fire sprinkler system had been removed “under the cover of darkness” in a bid to justify the rebuild plan.

David Blackett, the director of Blackett, Maguire and Goldsmith, the independent certifier of the stadium, slammed the suggestion.

“The existing Allianz Stadium did not have a sprinkler system removed under the cover of darkness,” Mr Blackett said in an email. “There was never a sprinkler system installed.”

Mr Daley later backtracked and said he was talking about the field’s grass sprinkler system.

The stadium’s safety features were so lacking that fire trucks and firefighters regularly had to be present on site at games and other events in case an incident occurred.

“These ongoing management strategies, including resource strain on (Fire and Rescue personnel) and equipment to be present … during events was a temporary measure and was not sustainable,” Mr Blackett said.

“With all facts and matters considered, I support the decision to demolish the current Allianz Stadium.”

In January, Mr Daley demanded the government halt the project until after the election.

Labor describes the continued demolition works at Allianz Stadium as an attempt by the government to “deny the people of NSW a say on the $2.2 billion Liberals and Nationals stadiums splurge”.

The only problem is, the Allianz project is about $730 million while the other major component, the large-scale refurbishment of ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park, is another $810 million, for a total of $1.54 billion.

“I want to call out the leader of the Opposition because he hasn’t been honest in this debate,” Ms Berejiklian told news.com.au. “The (plan) is nowhere near the $2.2 billion he’s talking about.”

My Daley told news.com.au that demolition works current under way would not make the stadium salvagable should Labor win government.

“Big buildings like that take a long time to demolish. They’ve only really started in earnest last Friday,” he said.

“We’ve had people look at the stadium, including a former deputy government architect, and he said what the others have said – the damage at the moment is only superficial.

“It’ll still be standing and it means everyone’s vote is important.”

The Premier defended the spend itself, saying the budget surplus meant there was enough to invest in “cultural institutions and sporting infrastructure” as well as essential services.

She lashed Mr Daley’s campaign message — schools and hospitals before stadiums — and insisted her government was delivering both.

“If you have a strong government running a strong budget … yes, of course we’re building record amounts of schools and hospitals, roads and rail, but we need to make sure we don’t fall behind in our cultural institutions and sporting infrastructure,” Ms Berejiklian said.

Of the Labor leader, she said: “He’s got one policy and that’s to cancel projects.

“I worry that it’s not just the stadium he doesn’t want to build. He doesn’t want to build the Metro Rail down to Bankstown, which is a fantastic project for southwest Sydney. He wants to cancel the West Harbour Tunnel, which would relieve congestion in the inner west. He wants to cancel the F6, a new road to the Shire.

“There are so many projects he wants to cancel. Just of those I’ve listed, (it) would be tens of thousands of jobs lost, lots of opportunities for our citizens lost.

“I can’t get my head around why the only policy he has is to cancel projects.”

But Mr Daley said a refurbishment would make Allianz Stadium “shine like a pin” without wasting money on an unnecessary redevelopment.

“There’s a better way to do it. You can do it by making the Trust take out a loan so the taxpayer doesn’t have to pay, and we’ll have $730 million to play with,” he said.

In an interview on 2GB earlier this month, Mr Daley said the SCG Trust, which operates the stadium in Moore Park, has inflated the apparent fire and safety risks of the existing facility.

“That’s one of the reasons, Alan, I’m going to sack the Board,” Mr Daley said in a heated exchange with radio host Alan Jones.

“If I’m elected, the Board will go. I know you’ve been on that Board for 30 years.”

A petition started by journalist and TV personality Peter FitzSimons saying the money being spent on stadiums is a waste has more than 220,000 signatures.

Last week FitzSimons said it was “economic madness” to “destroy a valuable public asset nine days before the election”.

NSW heads to the polls on Saturday, March 23.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
If this is true, I'm ******* pissed. I only agreed with this redevelopment on the grounds of the media info about the engineering reports projecting costs in the hundreds of millions to make the place safe. If it was truly just $18m, what the **** is the point of this whole mess??

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...n/news-story/7d8ecec4eeab1c295799cd2ace014b99

Allianz Stadium could hve been fixed for as little as $18 million, a secret report for the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust has revealed.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the stadium, in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, could have been ugraded to meet all safety standards and address “current non-compliance” for $18,153,800.
That’s in stark contrast to the Berejiklian Government’s claim that it would have cost $700 million to fix the safety issues.
Mr Daley told The Sydney Morning Herald the report “exposes once and for all their entire case for the stadium splurge to be nothing more than a sham”.
“Instead they wanted a gold plated stadium. What a disgrace,” he said.
STADIUM SCRAP
The government’s plan to knock down and rebuild a football stadium in Sydney has become one of the most contentious issues in the NSW election campaign.
Labor leader Michael Daley has vowed to cancel the demolition and rebuilding of Allianz Stadium at Moore Park and to instead refurbish the facility so that it complies with fire safety and evacuation standards.
But Premier Gladys Berejiklian had accused her opponent of being deliberately misleading in the debate and ignoring common economic sense.
Ms Berejiklian said project modelling had indicated it would cost $340 million to install “the basic safety requirements” at Allianz Stadium that independent certifiers had deemed a risk.
“Allianz Stadium is arguably contentious, but we had reports that said it was a fire and safety hazard,” Ms Berejiklian told news.com.au.
“The cost of refurbishing it with the basic safety requirements is $340 million. To do a proper refurb would be at least $700 million. We’re building a brand new stadium for $720 million.”
The difference between Labor’s plan — bringing Allianz Stadium up to standard in regards to safety — and the government’s total rebuild is “about $300 million”, Ms Berejiklian said.
“I know that’s a lot of money, but that’s the difference … the Leader of the Opposition hasn’t been honest in this debate.”

But Mr Daley has hit back, saying the premier is being misleading by not clarifying the financial impact to taxpayers.

“Her plan is $730 million all paid for by the taxpayer. My plan, the refurbishment, we’ll work out what the cost is once we have a chance to see what shape the place is in, but the premier has said it’s $348 million,” Mr Daley told news.com.au.

“The treasurer has said you can refurbish it for $348 million. The difference is, I’ll make the Trust take out a loan for the cost of the refurbishment. The cost to taxpayers – zero. Their plan - $730 million to the taxpayer. My plan – zero.”

Mr Daley said he will make the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust take out a loan for the cost of the refurbishment.

Mr Daley has repeatedly questioned the legitimacy of the SCG Trust’s claims that the stadium is unsafe as it is.

The Labor leader even claimed an existing fire sprinkler system had been removed “under the cover of darkness” in a bid to justify the rebuild plan.

David Blackett, the director of Blackett, Maguire and Goldsmith, the independent certifier of the stadium, slammed the suggestion.

“The existing Allianz Stadium did not have a sprinkler system removed under the cover of darkness,” Mr Blackett said in an email. “There was never a sprinkler system installed.”

Mr Daley later backtracked and said he was talking about the field’s grass sprinkler system.

The stadium’s safety features were so lacking that fire trucks and firefighters regularly had to be present on site at games and other events in case an incident occurred.

“These ongoing management strategies, including resource strain on (Fire and Rescue personnel) and equipment to be present … during events was a temporary measure and was not sustainable,” Mr Blackett said.

“With all facts and matters considered, I support the decision to demolish the current Allianz Stadium.”

In January, Mr Daley demanded the government halt the project until after the election.

Labor describes the continued demolition works at Allianz Stadium as an attempt by the government to “deny the people of NSW a say on the $2.2 billion Liberals and Nationals stadiums splurge”.

The only problem is, the Allianz project is about $730 million while the other major component, the large-scale refurbishment of ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park, is another $810 million, for a total of $1.54 billion.

“I want to call out the leader of the Opposition because he hasn’t been honest in this debate,” Ms Berejiklian told news.com.au. “The (plan) is nowhere near the $2.2 billion he’s talking about.”

My Daley told news.com.au that demolition works current under way would not make the stadium salvagable should Labor win government.

“Big buildings like that take a long time to demolish. They’ve only really started in earnest last Friday,” he said.

“We’ve had people look at the stadium, including a former deputy government architect, and he said what the others have said – the damage at the moment is only superficial.

“It’ll still be standing and it means everyone’s vote is important.”

The Premier defended the spend itself, saying the budget surplus meant there was enough to invest in “cultural institutions and sporting infrastructure” as well as essential services.

She lashed Mr Daley’s campaign message — schools and hospitals before stadiums — and insisted her government was delivering both.

“If you have a strong government running a strong budget … yes, of course we’re building record amounts of schools and hospitals, roads and rail, but we need to make sure we don’t fall behind in our cultural institutions and sporting infrastructure,” Ms Berejiklian said.

Of the Labor leader, she said: “He’s got one policy and that’s to cancel projects.

“I worry that it’s not just the stadium he doesn’t want to build. He doesn’t want to build the Metro Rail down to Bankstown, which is a fantastic project for southwest Sydney. He wants to cancel the West Harbour Tunnel, which would relieve congestion in the inner west. He wants to cancel the F6, a new road to the Shire.

“There are so many projects he wants to cancel. Just of those I’ve listed, (it) would be tens of thousands of jobs lost, lots of opportunities for our citizens lost.

“I can’t get my head around why the only policy he has is to cancel projects.”

But Mr Daley said a refurbishment would make Allianz Stadium “shine like a pin” without wasting money on an unnecessary redevelopment.

“There’s a better way to do it. You can do it by making the Trust take out a loan so the taxpayer doesn’t have to pay, and we’ll have $730 million to play with,” he said.

In an interview on 2GB earlier this month, Mr Daley said the SCG Trust, which operates the stadium in Moore Park, has inflated the apparent fire and safety risks of the existing facility.

“That’s one of the reasons, Alan, I’m going to sack the Board,” Mr Daley said in a heated exchange with radio host Alan Jones.

“If I’m elected, the Board will go. I know you’ve been on that Board for 30 years.”

A petition started by journalist and TV personality Peter FitzSimons saying the money being spent on stadiums is a waste has more than 220,000 signatures.

Last week FitzSimons said it was “economic madness” to “destroy a valuable public asset nine days before the election”.

NSW heads to the polls on Saturday, March 23.
Lol 18 million wouldn't of covered a paint job.

After the white flight fiasco and the opposition leaders implosion in the debate last night they needed something.

This is the last will of the dice for them.

The truth is both sides are spending the same on schools and hospitals with the Libs adding after school care at every public school.

As I've said elsewhere I've never voted Lib till today, which I've now done.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
There were no events to lose. The Roosters, Sydney FC and Waratahs were never leaving. AFL and cricket can't play on a rectangle. The Wallabies and Socceroos only go there when the crowd is so low as to make ANZ Stadium pointless.
There's plenty to lose.
All those clubs can leave and the Wallabies can play in other states.
Concerts etc can just bypass it.

If Labor don't want the SFS they won't fix ANZ and that would lose the NRL GF, Bledisloe Cup etc.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Allianz response

https://www.scgt.nsw.gov.au/sydney-cricket-ground/whats-on/news/statement-regarding-smh-report/

Of the remaining assets with some residual useful life, a further $18 million would be required to be spent on safety, security and compliance. To isolate the $18m is misleading. The $18m referenced in the article accounts for replacement of electrical boards, emergency lighting, exit signage and fire detection systems only.

This total cost of $130m is only for basic compliance and does not consider improving the stadium for ingress and egress, disabled access, female spectator and player facilities, roof coverage nor meeting seismic code standards. It would have extended the life of the building for five years.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
There's plenty to lose.
All those clubs can leave and the Wallabies can play in other states.
Concerts etc can just bypass it.

If Labor don't want the SFS they won't fix ANZ and that would lose the NRL GF, Bledisloe Cup etc.

How long will it take to make back the $700 million?

Back