U18 Champs Allies vs Victoria Metro, Blacktown Int. Sports Park, Saturday June 25 @ 1pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

Game 2: Allies vs Victoria Metro, Blacktown Int. Sports Park, Saturday June 25 @ 1pm​

TEAMS​

Allies
4. Shadeau Brain
5. Colby Mckercher
7. Caiden Cleary
9. Ryley Sanders
10. Ethan Grace
13. Seth Campbell
15. Harry Rowston
17. Jason Gillbee
19. Luke Lawrence
20. Joshua Cooper
21. Marlin Corbett
22. Lachlan Cowan
26. Lloyd Johnston
27. Angus Anderson
28. Thomas McCallum
29. Luke Fellows
31. Brinn Little
33. Christian Webster
36. Ned Stevens
37. Will Edwards
38. Jed Walter
39. Ethan Read
40. Nicholas Madden

Vic Metro
1. Nicholas Watson
2. Blake Drury
4. Kai Windsor
5. Alwyn Davey
6. Cameron Kizan
7. Olli Hotton
10. Will Ashcroft
11. Charlie Clarke
12. Paul Pascu
14. Darcy Edmends
15. Harry Sheezel
18. Mitchell Rowe
19. Jakob Anderson
20. Benjamin Hempel
22. Cameron Mackenzie
24. Callum Verrell
28. Joshua Weddle
30. Matthew Jefferson
31. Logan Morris
32. Jovan Petric
35. Lewis Hayes
38. Sam Grant
39. Hudson OKeeffe

BROADCAST​

AFL website

If you were blind how do you think your favs would be going so far in this game? Not talking about the kids who are already expected to play good games against lesser rated players.
I don't fully understand the question, I don't have favourites 🤗

Also impressed by Tom McCallum from Tasmania, really strong intercept mark and positioning behind the play, however his disposal did let him down in the end unfortunately. NT's Lloyd Johnston wasn't a massive ball winner but showed off some impressive moves from the backline, even out ran Nick Watson in a one-on-one to deliver the footy beautifully to a leading forward

I don't fully understand the question, I don't have favourites 🤗
There wasn't a question? :think: Yeah, you do have players you favor.

Most impressive (for me) in this game of the players I haven't seen a lot of, in alphabetical order -

Anderson, Davey, Grace, Johnston, Lawrence, McCallum, Pascu, Verrall, Walter.

There wasn't a question? :think: Yeah, you do have players you favor.

Most impressive (for me) in this game of the players I haven't seen a lot of, in alphabetical order -

Anderson, Davey, Grace, Johnston, Lawrence, McCallum, Pascu, Verrall, Walter.
Oh my this is most unfortunate news, who are the players I favour?

Must admit, I'm still bitterly disappointed that Ashcroft moved from the Gold Coast to Melbourne in 2019 just before he turned 15 because if he had stayed even one extra year on the Gold Coast then he'd still be a part of our academy and would be draft eligible for us. He'd also likely be playing for the Allies. It's not often a Gold Coast born and raised talent comes through and looks like he's going to be the number 1 pick! In fact, I think Will Ashcroft will become the first Queensland born player to go number 1 in the national draft if things play out the way we think they might.

Having said that, Gold Coast born and raised Jed Walter looks a serious talent! Four goals against Vic Metro as a bottom ager is a very impressive performance. Can someone who watched the game give me some more information on Walter's game?

Must admit, I'm still bitterly disappointed that Ashcroft moved from the Gold Coast to Melbourne in 2019 just before he turned 15 because if he had stayed even one extra year on the Gold Coast then he'd still be a part of our academy and would be draft eligible for us. He'd also likely be playing for the Allies. It's not often a Gold Coast born and raised talent comes through and looks like he's going to be the number 1 pick! In fact, I think Will Ashcroft will become the first Queensland born player to go number 1 in the national draft if things play out the way we think they might.

Having said that, Gold Coast born and raised Jed Walter looks a serious talent! Four goals against Vic Metro as a bottom ager is a very impressive performance. Can someone who watched the game give me some more information on Walter's game?
Not just that for you guys

Ethan Reade is also a potential star in next years draft for you too

Reade had 10 possessions at half time and was playing as a 2nd ruck , bench rotation and forward . You could end up with 2x top 20 picks over 199cm

Walter is unconventional , he’s super quick for his size and has so much power . He’s not a smooth natural footballer with high IQ but he’s effective . In some ways he reminds me a little of Sam Day with his athletic traits but I’d expect he has a better career

Not just that for you guys

Ethan Reade is also a potential star in next years draft for you too

Reade had 10 possessions at half time and was playing as a 2nd ruck , bench rotation and forward . You could end up with 2x top 20 picks over 199cm

Walter is unconventional , he’s super quick for his size and has so much power . He’s not a smooth natural footballer with high IQ but he’s effective . In some ways he reminds me a little of Sam Day with his athletic traits but I’d expect he has a better career
Thanks mate. I've heard people refer to Walter as a 'man child' in the past and they've questioned whether he actually has the skills to make it at the AFL level or if he's just bullying kids around his age because he's more athletically gifted than them. I'd like to see him taking more marks and kicking more goals for our reserves team in the VFL before I make a call on whether he can make it at the next level but the signs are looking good so far!

I wasn't aware that Read had progressed that much. I know he and Walter both come from the same junior club on the GC (Palm Beach Currumbin) and you see it sometimes where one standout in an age group leads to another standout from the same club. High quality talls are worth their weight in gold so to get two top 20 picks over 198cm would be a dream outcome for us. Bonus that they both happen to be born and bred Gold Coasters.

Thanks mate. I've heard people refer to Walter as a 'man child' in the past and they've questioned whether he actually has the skills to make it at the AFL level or if he's just bullying kids around his age because he's more athletically gifted than them. I'd like to see him taking more marks and kicking more goals for our reserves team in the VFL before I make a call on whether he can make it at the next level but the signs are looking good so far!

I wasn't aware that Read had progressed that much. I know he and Walter both come from the same junior club on the GC (Palm Beach Currumbin) and you see it sometimes where one standout in an age group leads to another standout from the same club. High quality talls are worth their weight in gold so to get two top 20 picks over 198cm would be a dream outcome for us. Bonus that they both happen to be born and bred Gold Coasters.
My tip is Reade ends up better - he’s raw physically , could end up 203+ and just does some freakish things

He has ability to compete in a centre bounce then get the clearance on the deck . Not many can do that let alone as a skinny kid with lots of development

Kind of right re Walter - I wouldn’t call him a natural footballer but some of his burst speed and power is very unique , he can run away from midfielders and he committed to a few contests where you feared for the others that were near him

My tip is Reade ends up better - he’s raw physically , could end up 203+ and just does some freakish things

He has ability to compete in a centre bounce then get the clearance on the deck . Not many can do that let alone as a skinny kid with lots of development
Oh boy. A 200+ cm ruck-forward who can win clearances in the midfield /crumb the ground balls in the forward line is certainly desirable at the AFL level. I don't think he was that tall in his younger years so that could explain the versatility. Both are bottom agers so there's still time for Read to grow into his body but if he continues to grow then it could end in diminishing returns.

Kind of right re Walter - I wouldn’t call him a natural footballer but some of his burst speed and power is very unique , he can run away from midfielders and he commuted to a few contests where you feared for the others that were near him
Do you think he'd be a good replacement for Casboult when we presumably ask Levi to retire at the end of next year? At the moment we're mostly using Casboult as a battering ram to crash packs and bring the ball to ground for our crumbers. Would Walter have the body to do that at the AFL level while he works on his actual footballing skills?

Could have added some heat in the Pineapple Grapple.

Oh boy. A 200+ cm ruck-forward who can win clearances in the midfield /crumb the ground balls in the forward line is certainly desirable at the AFL level. I don't think he was that tall in his younger years so that could explain the versatility. Both are bottom agers so there's still time for Read to grow into his body but if he continues to grow then it could end in diminishing returns.

Do you think he'd be a good replacement for Casboult when we presumably ask Levi to retire at the end of next year? At the moment we're mostly using Casboult as a battering ram to crash packs and bring the ball to ground for our crumbers. Would Walter have the body to do that at the AFL level while he works on his actual footballing skills?
Re casboult he’s always been an elite mark so hard to replace exactly but he would bring other things casboult doesn’t … maybe a better version of Sam Day

I find it staggering that the VM v Allies commentary team still do not know players names. Just some friendly advice please learn the player names and their jumper numbers before going on air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The same doubts were raised over Shannon Hurn.
Then again, Will Gould...

Can anyone post a link
To watch a replay of vm allies game. I can’t find it anywhere.
It'll be episode 2 as soon as it's available:

It usually takes a couple of days. I'm sure someone will post here and in the stickied champs thread as soon as they spot it (and there are a pretty dedicated group of draft followers in this board so it won't take them long to find it once it is available).

Could have added some heat in the Pineapple Grapple.
It probably still will. Ashcroft seems likely to head to Brisbane as a father-son pick but he was born and raised on the Gold Coast where he spent about four years in our academy. He's ours and theirs but the rules say he's only allowed to join them. Brisbane have a history of acquiring our best juniors like Dayne Zorko, Dayne Beams, Dan Merrett, Marcus Ashcroft, Clark Keating, Matthew Kennedy etc. Even the great Michael Voss grew up in Beenleigh which was a suburb of the Gold Coast back when he lived there.

Re casboult he’s always been an elite mark so hard to replace exactly but he would bring other things casboult doesn’t … maybe a better version of Sam Day
Trade contested marking for speed, it sounds like. Chol is generally considered a pretty good contested marker of the ball and Ben King definitely has the ability to take some good contested grabs so perhaps it won't be as necessary for our third tall forward to take contested grabs going forward. Although both have lighter frames and that's where I think you could just use Walter's massive body to crash packs, get the ball to ground and allow the crumbing smalls to get involved while Walter works on his own ability to take contested marks/kick for goal.

The same doubts were raised over Shannon Hurn.
Then again, Will Gould...
I hope you're right with the Hurn comparison. I'd really like to see Walter make it because we've never really had a high quality key forward come through our academy system and there is a need for it now with Casboult's time in the game limited.

It probably still will. Ashcroft seems likely to head to Brisbane as a father-son pick but he was born and raised on the Gold Coast where he spent about four years in our academy. He's ours and theirs but the rules say he's only allowed to join them. Brisbane have a history of acquiring our best juniors like Dayne Zorko, Dayne Beams, Dan Merrett, Marcus Ashcroft, Clark Keating, Matthew Kennedy etc. Even the great Michael Voss grew up in Beenleigh which was a suburb of the Gold Coast back when he lived there.
None of the players you mentioned were acquired under shady circumstances though tbf. Ashcroft would be the first time there would be legitimate beef. It would have been a fairly difficult choice for him if he were still living on the GC. Us Brisbane supporters are still a bit nervous about Ashcroft. But the fact he has flown up to spend time with the club and play for us in the VFL and is likely to do so again suggests to me he is keen to come. Add in the fact his little brother and (I thought I read somewhere his sister) are looking likely as well and its a bit of a no-brainer for the Ashcrofts.

Trade contested marking for speed, it sounds like. Chol is generally considered a pretty good contested marker of the ball and Ben King definitely has the ability to take some good contested grabs so perhaps it won't be as necessary for our third tall forward to take contested grabs going forward. Although both have lighter frames and that's where I think you could just use Walter's massive body to crash packs, get the ball to ground and allow the crumbing smalls to get involved while Walter works on his own ability to take contested marks/kick for goal.

I hope you're right with the Hurn comparison. I'd really like to see Walter make it because we've never really had a high quality key forward come through our academy system and there is a need for it now with Casboult's time in the game limited.
What the * are you smoking Drugs are bad M’Kay

None of the players you mentioned were acquired under shady circumstances though tbf. Ashcroft would be the first time there would be legitimate beef. It would have been a fairly difficult choice for him if he were still living on the GC. Us Brisbane supporters are still a bit nervous about Ashcroft. But the fact he has flown up to spend time with the club and play for us in the VFL and is likely to do so again suggests to me he is keen to come. Add in the fact his little brother and (I thought I read somewhere his sister) are looking likely as well and its a bit of a no-brainer for the Ashcrofts.
That's true. I was just pointing out that Brisbane has recruited plenty of GC juniors in the past. Marcus himself was of course a Gold Coast junior so that would make it two generations of Gold Coasters playing for Brisbane. Although this is a pretty rare situation where a player spends multiple years in one local academy and ends up at another club where he spent no years in their local academy.

I think Will Ashcroft will eventually choose Brisbane. His other two destinations seem to be North or West Coast and I don't think either of those clubs look overly attractive to a talent like him. He only has to look at what's happening with Jason Horne-Francis right now to realise that his best option is to nominate for father-son access with the Lions. Instead of dealing with the BS that's going on at North right now or uprooting himself to Perth, he can head back to an area where he spent 14 years of his life and instantly begin playing finals for the team his father won premierships with.

Probably should be pointed out that securing Will Ashcroft dramatically increases the chances of Brisbane also securing Levi Ashcroft in two years from now. So this could double as a big win for Brisbane in the long run.

ALLIES 14.6 (90) def. by VIC METRO 16.10 (106)

ALLIES

109 – Luke Lawrence

106 – Ryley Sanders

99 – Harry Rowston

89 – Tom McCullum

85 – Jed Walter

82 – Lachie Cowan

79 – Ned Stevens

76 – Angus Anderson

75 – Nicholas Madden

72 – Brinn Little

72 – Ethan Grace

68 – Marlin Corbett

67 – Shadeau Brain

60 – Luke Fellows

60 – Ethan Read

51 – Seth Campbell

49 – Caiden Cleary

48 – Jason Gillbee

46 – Lloyd Johnston

45 – Joshua Cooper

27 – Will Edwards

26 – Colby McKercher

1 – Christian Webster

VIC METRO

189 – Will Ashcroft

134 – Harry Sheezel

132 – Cam Mackenzie

93 – Olli Hotton

90 – Blake Drury

89 – Callum Verrell

88 – Jakob Anderson

84 – Ben Hempel

80 – Cameron Kizan

79 – Lewis Hayes

75 – Darcy Edmends

75 – Charlie Clarke

74 – Josh Weddle

67 – Alwyn Davey

66 – Hudson O’Keefe

62 – Matthew Jefferson

60 – Kai Windsor

55 – Paul Pascu

54 – Jovan Petric

50 – Nick Watson

48 – Mitchell Rowe

46 – Sam Grant

19 – Logan Morris

Meanwhile, potential No. 1 draft pick Will Ashcroft was prolific for Vic Metro in its first match against the Allies in Sydney on Saturday.

Ashcroft, who is yet to decide if he will nominate as a father-son to Brisbane, logged 37 disposals, seven marks, 12 clearances and four inside-50s to finish as the top-ranked player on the ground with a sky-high 189 SuperCoach points.

St Kilda Next Generation Academy prospect Cameron Mackenzie was Ashcroft’s partner in crime through the middle, racking up 28 disposals, seven marks, six inside-50s and three clearances of his own.

Sandringham Dragons small forward Harry Sheezel — who models his game on Greater Western Sydney’s Toby Greene — was again eye-catching in attack with 17 disposals, six marks and four goals.

A top-10 draft fancy, Sheezel booted three of his goals in one blistering quarter.

Oakleigh Chargers half-forward Blake Drury also put himself on the radar of AFL clubs with 25 disposals, six marks, eight inside-50s and a goal.

Essendon father-son prospect Alwyn Davey Jnr booted two goals from 10 disposals, while key forward Matthew Jefferson presented well and also finished with two goals.

Gold Coast Suns Academy member Jed Walter was a standout for the Allies, with the 195cm key forward putting his agility and giant leap on show.

Walter booted four goals from nine disposals and three marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back