Rumour Allistair Clarkson making phone calls to 2023 free agents already

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
He's probably just talking to players at the club he just left after 15 odd years.

If you were going to a club intending to contend straight away and you know the club you left is rebuilding and has players out of contract 29/30+ that could add value in the short term why wouldn't you?

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
No secret the AFL will pay anything to get him up on the Gold Coast. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already agreed to an offer in principle and Dew is there with a countdown clock keeping his seat warm.

Dew to try and go over and above in his final year with his talents extending to keeping the seats either side of him warm as well.

No secret the AFL will pay anything to get him up on the Gold Coast. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already agreed to an offer in principle and Dew is there with a countdown clock keeping his seat warm.

Dew to try and go over and above in his final year with his talents extending to keeping the seats either side of him warm as well.

Port Adelaide, perhaps? Hinkley should be sacked if Port don’t make it past a Preliminary Final this year.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Bringing the game into disrepute.

AD6D74A3-95DA-48EF-8771-EB59DDD5D03A.jpeg

Twice …

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
This story doesn't pass the pub test.

There is only one player I can see that he might actually call and that would be worth taking to a new club and that is James Sicily.

No way he is calling blokes from other clubs who he has never met in his life. Also if an oppo coach got wind of it they would go absolutely nuts.

Clarko: "G'day Isaac it's Clarko"
Isaac Heeney: "Who?"
Clarko: "You know four time premiership coach and ******* genius. Anyway I know ur out of contract so I'm just letting you know I might be coaching at some unknown club next year who might offer U some unknown contract. Get on board son."
Isaac: "That's an offer I can't refuse".

Last edited:

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Remember when Clarko had a go at Papley for staging?

Horse was ready to punch on.

Wouldn't think it would go well with coaches if Clarko is randomly calling their players.
Just wouldn't happen.
If it did, they wouldn't be telling well known Melbourne socialite Mr Rockliff, considering he has a gossip section in his podcast.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This story doesn't pass the pub test.

There is only one player I can see that he might actually be able to call and that would be worth taking to a new club and that is James Sicily.

No way he is calling blokes from other clubs who he has never met in his life.
If an opposition coach got wind of it they would go completely nuts.

Clarko: "G'day Isaac it's Clarko"
Isaac Heeney: "Who?"
Clarko: "You know four time premiership coach and ******* genius. Anyway I know ur out of contract so I'm just letting you know I might be coaching at some unknown club next year who might be a me to ffer U some unknown contract. Get on board son."
Isaac: "That's an offer I can't refuse".

Most likely he keeps in regular touch with many of his explayers and they asked him what is he gonna do next year and he said probably senior coach so don’t sign any contract yet as a joke.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
From memory even featured Jason Dunstall writing off Alan Joyce's car by driving into a Sizzler ...... one of the all time great fake rumours to have graced BF

Or when a drunk M.Tuck fell down stairs at a pub, broke 2 ribs, club publicly claimed it was a 'training accident' and then paid Scotty Palmer not to publish any other version of events - oh hang on, that was actually true...

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Gold Coast have talented kids but they need some guidance on field.

Makes alot of sense for Clarkson to target mature free agents to provide leadership.

Image if Clarkson gets Gunston, Shields, Mcivoy, and Sicily under free agency.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Guidance? Like it's that simple.

You have got young blokes playing footy for cash. It's a dream gig. Bringing in old blokes with families cashing in their early retirement package will just egg them on more.

The Gold Coast was a terrible idea at the end of the day.

Back