Review Almost a discombobulation! Dogs over Freo by 47 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm putting my 2 cents in with the others about Zaine Cordy being a good value KPF. It was so pleasing to see a tall who contested so hard and effectively yesterdya. Wish Bevo would make him a permanent tall forward.
I’m with you and the many others who have been saying this for awhile now.. He just looks like he’s going to hurt someone as a forward every time he launches himself. He’s all elbows and knees and recovers well when the ball hits the ground. He is after all a Premiership CHF :)

I agree with others about Zaine - and having Moz back in the team yesterday allowed the MC to make this long overdue move.

Now that Moz will be most likely to be missing, we need someone in the VFL to step up and take his role to allow Zaine to continue playing the forward role.

It should only be for a few weeks as I fully expect Moz to be back in a few weeks after his knee reco/TKR/leg amputation/resurrection.

Zaine seems to cause chaos in the forward line, he's pretty unconventional so you're never quite sure what he's up to. All I know is that when the ball goes near him he really wants it. His weird kicking style is accurate too. He allows Naughts to push up the ground too, where he's potentially even better than at FF.

I'd bring in Lewis Young for sure, let's go for it. Finals or bust.

Having Daniel back made a huge difference on the backline and at one stage his DE was at 100%. With Cordy playing a defensive forward role it means another change to the setup. Perhaps Naughton could switch between CHF and CHB?

I cant fault any of our player's games yesterday.

Best watch the game replay:

First Fremantle goal due to JJ not sticking with his man and being afraid to put his body on the line (playing bruise free football as usual)
2 nd Fremantle goal, as per the first
3 rd Fremantle goal, as per first and second

2nd Quarter, easy low pass to JJ in our forward line and just he stands still rather than running to the ball as all school kids are taught and a Freo player easily intercepts the kick, more contact free football on his part.

Yes he did kick a goal and was involved in other play but all occurred when he was in the open but I'd prefer players that want to fight for the ball like Libba, Dunkley, B Smith etc etc rather than those that hang around the outside of packs waiting for the easy possession

Zaine seems to cause chaos in the forward line, he's pretty unconventional so you're never quite sure what he's up to. All I know is that when the ball goes near him he really wants it. His weird kicking style is accurate too. He allows Naughts to push up the ground too, where he's potentially even better than at FF.

I'd bring in Lewis Young for sure, let's go for it. Finals or bust.
Like this thought process. Realistically it could be either Young but playing Naughton higher and just having Cordy down there certainly not only gave them opportunity but opened it up for the smalls and Mid sized forwards.

Being brave and not being conservative will give us the best opportunity of an unlikely finals appearance

Selection is a tough one.

Dale is obvious but other than that who really deserves to go out? Candidates might be Dickson and West but both played a role and I don’t think we want to upset the side’s chemistry.

I think it’s likely Schache and Suckling will come in, with Cord returning to the backline. Will be interesting though.

Yes Scotty West was a gun and had the best hands in the game, but his kicking wasn’t the best, didn’t kick many after his first season if I recall correctly, never hurt teams with his kicking, hopefully Rhylee can!

You don't recall correctly. Scott West wasn't a penetrating kick and rarely kicked goals but had some of the best vision you'll ever see. He hurt teams in the same way Caleb Daniel does.

First Fremantle goal due to JJ not sticking with his man and being afraid to put his body on the line (playing bruise free football as usual)

2nd Quarter, easy low pass to JJ in our forward line and just he stands still rather than running to the ball as all school kids are taught and a Freo player easily intercepts the kick, more contact free football on his part.

Yes he did kick a goal and was involved in other play but all occurred when he was in the open but I'd prefer players that want to fight for the ball like Libba, Dunkley, B Smith etc etc rather than those that hang around the outside of packs waiting for the easy possession

Yeah because what we need is more inside grunt and less outside class and pace which we have in abundance...

Selection is a tough one.

Dale is obvious but other than that who really deserves to go out? Candidates might be Dickson and West but both played a role and I don’t think we want to upset the side’s chemistry.

I think it’s likely Schache and Suckling will come in, with Cord returning to the backline. Will be interesting though.
West did well, and had some seriously great attack on the ball, even if he didn't accumulate huge numbers. I'd hate to see him dropped at all this season. Having him and Cordy up forward together just seemed to breathe new life into our forward line, and enable Dale (a relatively low-pressure player) to really shine.

We will likely be forced to bring Cordy back with Morris out though, so I think it's likely Dickson (no goals, although he played a role around the ground, ending up with 14 disposals and 8 marks) or Richards, but he only just came back in so I doubt that.

Safest picks in my opinion are:

OUT:
Morris (inj)

IN:
Schache

Suckling and McLean both pushing for selection though, so whoever comes out is either very unlucky, or is suffering soreness

West did well, and had some seriously great attack on the ball, even if he didn't accumulate huge numbers. I'd hate to see him dropped at all this season. Having him and Cordy up forward together just seemed to breathe new life into our forward line, and enable Dale (a relatively low-pressure player) to really shine.

We will likely be forced to bring Cordy back with Morris out though, so I think it's likely Dickson (no goals, although he played a role around the ground, ending up with 14 disposals and 8 marks) or Richards, but he only just came back in so I doubt that.

Safest picks in my opinion are:

OUT:
Morris (inj)

IN:
Schache

Suckling and McLean both pushing for selection though, so whoever comes out is either very unlucky, or is suffering soreness
I guess that’s the point - no one deserves to go out but Suckling and McLean probably make us better.

I'm putting my 2 cents in with the others about Zaine Cordy being a good value KPF. It was so pleasing to see a tall who contested so hard and effectively yesterdya. Wish Bevo would make him a permanent tall forward.

The Gowers 'contest everything' role? yeah. Bev was pretty adamant that it wasnt a permanent move in his presser, but as to whether thats because he is needed in defence?

Check out Westies first eva goal video.... JJ kicks it high and long to freos advantage, and cordy runs in with the flight of the ball to spoil - both freo defenders fall over, he remains standing, and west gathers the crumb and snaps.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was good enough to get 3 coaches votes...

You're not wrong in that JJ was exposed physically yesterday. His defensive efforts can be lackluster and being completely honest despite some people making noise about Caleb being a weak link defensively I'm more concerned about JJ in that regard.

But he was carving Freo up with his run on the offensive end, hence the coach's votes. And good lord do we need that pace, because we're really lacking in that area. While you could put JJ up forward more, it takes away his ability to use the entire ground for his runs, which is where he excels at when he's not being tagged/belted off ball like he was every week in 2017.

Most teams now will have someone that's a bit of a liability 1 on 1 down back now because they can damage the opposition taking it out of defense. Would like to see JJ do better in that regard but when he's on he's vital to what we do.

Thought JJ was one of our best and has been in many of our recent wins.

With players like him you sometimes just have to cop the odd missed tackle and turnover because the good so far outweighs the bad.

Could improve a little defensively but I don’t reckon it bothers Bevo a whole lot.

Last edited:
Was good enough to get 3 coaches votes...

There are a lot of big name players like him in the league that coaches and commentators go on about as good players but if you watch them closely they only put in the effort when it suits themselves or when they see an opportunity to look good. For the majority of the time they are standing out of the physical stuff waiting for the easy option to grab the free ball after the hard work is done by their team mate. JJ has been living off Tom Boyds Norm Smith medal since 16 and he's been close to being dropped a few times since then but will always pull his finger out to get a repreve for another 10 games or so.
Not saying he's a bad player but looking at the effort some of his less skilled team mates put in in some of the games, he really needs to pull his finger out to get up to their level.

You don't recall correctly. Scott West wasn't a penetrating kick and rarely kicked goals but had some of the best vision you'll ever see. He hurt teams in the same way Caleb Daniel does.
Never hurt teams by foot is what I said, like say Buckley was doing at the time, but he had the best hands in the game. Most supporters I talk to admit West never had a great kick, Cross was almost a direct replacement, he also had an average kick. To be honest, apart from Bont, Cooney, Akermanis and few others, we haven’t had many mids with a great kick over the last 20/30 years.

There are a lot of big name players like him in the league that coaches and commentators go on about as good players but if you watch them closely they only put in the effort when it suits themselves or when they see an opportunity to look good. For the majority of the time they are standing out of the physical stuff waiting for the easy option to grab the free ball after the hard work is done by their team mate. JJ has been living off Tom Boyds Norm Smith medal since 16 and he's been close to being dropped a few times since then but will always pull his finger out to get a repreve for another 10 games or so.
Not saying he's a bad player but looking at the effort some of his less skilled team mates put in in some of the games, he really needs to pull his finger out to get up to their level.

Good points but as a counter to that, when we are at our best it is usually when JJ is playing well. He is the one player in our team that breaks the lines with run.

So JJ has managed to fool the coaches who watch and analyse the game from all angles and every play intricately, but you've managed to nail what's happening much better and more accurately?

Sorry mate, dont buy it.

Coaches' votes Rd 19

WESTERN BULLDOGS v FREMANTLE
9 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
9 Jack Macrae (WB)
3 Caleb Daniel (WB)
3 Jason Joahannisen (WB)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
2 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
1 Bailey Dale (WB)

Coaches' votes Rd 19

WESTERN BULLDOGS v FREMANTLE
9 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
9 Jack Macrae (WB)
3 Caleb Daniel (WB)
3 Jason Joahannisen (WB)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
2 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
1 Bailey Dale (WB)

Not surprised Macrae and Bont were 9 and 9. I honestly couldn't separate them, both were outstanding. Surprised Brayshaw didn't get more votes to be honest

100% agree on commentators but I’d like to think that coaches pay close attention to what players are doing during a game, I’d guess a little more than a bunch of supporters who have one eye on the game and one on the keyboard they are punching insults out on during Game day threads!

Has a few detractors on here JJ but that doesn’t make our opinions correct. He frustrates me occasionally. As I’ve said before, saying he’s done little since he stole Boyd’s Norm is not the opinion of those in control of the team. In 2017, this forum spent half the year potting him and he even attracted enough media attention that Bevo had to respond. And then he ended 1 vote away from a B&F, admittedly much to my own surprise. Followed up with 7th last year.

Cops it every time he makes a mistake and is an easy target because he isn’t in and under like a Libber or a J Kennedy or a Voss. As Scrag said, not everyone in a team can dive in for the contest - there has to be some waiting for the ball to come out. Imagine if JJ was diving on the ball in Prelim 16 - who was going to break free and kick it to Bont for that goal? Craig Bradley and Brent Harvey played 800 games of non contact football because that was their role.

I find I enjoy watching football a lot more when I don’t spend the whole game waiting for my pet hates to make a mistake. I notice them but I also recognise when they surprise me. JJ has his own way of making defensive plays with speed and agility. But he will never be Dale Morris!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back