Review Almost a discombobulation! Dogs over Freo by 47 points

Remove this Banner Ad

He is going to be an offensive weapon before too long. He is always looking to be involved and his skills are good. Loved his big fist forward too. Very alpha.

Its nice that the commentators are starting to notice what else he brings to the table and focus less on the times he's been pantsed by some of the elite rucks in the game. He's improved out of sight since the start of the season as he builds the match fitness that Bevo's one ruckman (or the extra giant mid) strategy requires of him to run out games beyond half-time.

I love his work around the ground. And he’s getting a few more taps all the time. He has footy smarts and you can tell he believes in himself.
watched pretty closely through the binoculars and i swear he got a fair few more hitouts than he was credited for.

watched pretty closely through the binoculars and i swear he got a fair few more hitouts than he was credited for.

I thought he was winning more than his fair share and was in fact creating a problem for us - we are not used to roving to a winning ruck. Freo kept sharking his work, they knew Sandi was cooked.

Congratulations on the win

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 28 Bounces

Bont 26
Richards 23 wing
Hunter 22 wing
Macrae 21
Dunkley 20
Libba 15
Lipinski 10 wing
B.Smith 2
Daniel 1 wing

Rucks:
English 25
Cordy 2
Dunkley 1

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Macrae 4
Bontempelli 4
English 2
Dunkley 1
Liberatore 1
B.Smith 1

1st Half - 18

Bont 17
Richards 15 wing
Hunter 14 wing
Dunkley 14
Macrae 12
Libba 10
Lipinski 7 wing
B.Smith 1

English 16
Cordy 2

2nd Half - 10

Bont 9
Macrae 9
Richards 8 wing
Hunter 8 wing
Dunkley 6
Libba 5
Lipinski 3 wing
B.Smith 1
Daniel 1 wing

English 9
Dunkley 1

Notes - pertain to the 10 analysed games this season and those from previous seasons:
- Most ever starts for Richards
- Highest ever percentage of bounces attended for Bontempelli (92.9%)
- Fewest starts for Bailey Smith
- First start for Dunkley as a centre square ruck since Rd 8, 2018
- First appearance for Cordy as a centre square ruck since Rd 7
- 7 of Lipinski's 10 starts occurred in Q1. He didn't have a start at all in Q2

Congratulations on the win

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 28 Bounces

Bont 26
Richards 23 wing
Hunter 22 wing
Macrae 21
Dunkley 20
Libba 15
Lipinski 10 wing
B.Smith 2
Daniel 1 wing

Rucks:
English 25
Cordy 2
Dunkley 1

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Macrae 4
Bontempelli 4
English 2
Dunkley 1
Liberatore 1
B.Smith 1

1st Half - 18

Bont 17
Richards 15 wing
Hunter 14 wing
Dunkley 14
Macrae 12
Libba 10
Lipinski 7 wing
B.Smith 1

English 16
Cordy 2

2nd Half - 10

Bont 9
Macrae 9
Richards 8 wing
Hunter 8 wing
Dunkley 6
Libba 5
Lipinski 3 wing
B.Smith 1
Daniel 1 wing

English 9
Dunkley 1

Notes - pertain to the 10 analysed games this season and those from previous seasons:
- Most ever starts for Richards
- Highest ever percentage of bounces attended for Bontempelli (92.9%)
- Fewest starts for Bailey Smith
- First start for Dunkley as a centre square ruck since Rd 8, 2018
- First appearance for Cordy as a centre square ruck since Rd 7
- 7 of Lipinski's 10 starts occurred in Q1. He didn't have a start at all in Q2

I like narrowing the centre bounce group down to Bonti, Macrae, Dunkley and libba.

Great to see richards getting plenty of wing time too.

Coaches' votes Rd 19

WESTERN BULLDOGS v FREMANTLE
9 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
9 Jack Macrae (WB)
3 Caleb Daniel (WB)
3 Jason Joahannisen (WB)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
2 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
1 Bailey Dale (WB)

Happy with my investment on Bont for the Brownlow at the start of the year.

He gets votes every week.

Never hurt teams by foot is what I said, like say Buckley was doing at the time, but he had the best hands in the game. Most supporters I talk to admit West never had a great kick, Cross was almost a direct replacement, he also had an average kick. To be honest, apart from Bont, Cooney, Akermanis and few others, we haven’t had many mids with a great kick over the last 20/30 years.
He absolutely hurt teams by foot. Most supporters are swayed by media BS. Most are also more excited by a fast 50 meter bullet than a perfectly placed 30 meter kick.
West was a far better kick than Cross. Are you sure you even watched West play?

agree. On ABC radio coverage David Parkin gave Brayshaw the 3 votes for BOG.
I can understand it, he really stepped up and dragged his side along. Looked like an experienced player, not a guy who is only in his second year. That 2017 draft is looking something special already

He absolutely hurt teams by foot. Most supporters are swayed by media BS. Most are also more excited by a fast 50 meter bullet than a perfectly placed 30 meter kick.
His opinion doesn’t match yours. Why do you feel the need to call him out on it?

Everyone’s opinions aren’t going to be the same around here. You didn’t rate Macrae for years. And you didn’t want us to draft Bailey Smith last year.

Opinions are just that. Opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His opinion doesn’t match yours. Why do you feel the need to call him out on it?

Everyone’s opinions aren’t going to be the same around here. You didn’t rate Macrae for years. And you didn’t want us to draft Bailey Smith last year.

And some are well founded and some are s**t, in particular when they relate to empirical data.

West's disposal wasn't his most damaging asset but he was no butcher.

Libba is becoming a problem to me. The emergence of 3 A grade mids in Bont/Macrae/Dunks dramatically reduces his midfield time. And because those 3 aren't exactly blessed with leg speed, it's my preference that the two main rotations in there are Smith and Mclean, both of whom have decent leg speed.

Maybe a 6th player can be rotated through there. Lipinski v Libba. Could make a case either way but I think Libba is right on the cusp of not being best 22.

Libba is becoming a problem to me. The emergence of 3 A grade mids in Bont/Macrae/Dunks dramatically reduces his midfield time. And because those 3 aren't exactly blessed with leg speed, it's my preference that the two main rotations in there are Smith and Mclean, both of whom have decent leg speed.

Maybe a 6th player can be rotated through there. Lipinski v Libba. Could make a case either way but I think Libba is right on the cusp of not being best 22.

Relax, it's his second game back from injury.

He had a string of games early season where he was arguably BOG. Gets a nod before Lipinski at the moment, that's for sure.

I’m with you and the many others who have been saying this for awhile now.. He just looks like he’s going to hurt someone as a forward every time he launches himself. He’s all elbows and knees and recovers well when the ball hits the ground. He is after all a Premiership CHF :)

It was Zaine's elbows/knees which took out Ward in the 2016 prelim. Underrated moment in that win.

Tbh I was thinking along similar lines during the last game but I'm sure Bev said he had a role and did it well.

I watched the majority of his games, particularly later in his career I thought his kicking was average, but that’s only my opinion

One thing that goes unnoticed in our high possession game with sometimes 4-5 mids getting 30+ possessions is the hard work some of our mids do against the opposition mids. When we beat Carlton ( Cripps ) the second time around, it wasn’t a hard tag but the body work on him by Macrae and Dunks. Similar work was put into Geelong’s star trio, Neale against Brisbane, the Pies mids, Dusty in our win against the Tigers and this weekend I watched closely how many times Bont got his body close to Fyfe to stop him impacting the centre clearances. Libba’s role was stopping the influence of Walters and he has been part of that negating role in those other games without being an official tagger like his Dad.

One of the reasons we do well against the good sides and poorly against the weaker sides is the lack of attention we pay to their mids because they’re not considered worthy of the attention. The Saints mids got no attention, our mids weren’t switched on as a result and they smashed us. Same against Suns, Norf and Carlton the first time.

Libba may not be getting the numbers but he’s important in the negating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are mischaracterizations of my previous opinions for example I didn't rate Macrae when drafted but realized I was wrong after his first game (hardly what I'd call years) but that is beside the point.

The reason I felt the need to discuss his opinion is because last I checked this was a forum specifically for discussion. I'm not sure what else you'd like me to do.

Those are mischaracterizations of my previous opinions for example I didn't rate Macrae when drafted but realized I was wrong after his first game (hardly what I'd call years) but that is beside the point.

The reason I felt the need to discuss his opinion is because last I checked this was a forum specifically for discussion. I'm not sure what else you'd like me to do.
Maybe just not ask him if he’s ever seen West play in a condescending tone that you’re known to use when someone doesn’t agree with you.

It’s good to have you back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back