• VA,

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Christian boy,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Squarehead

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Eating fish cum then raving about consuming lifeforce is the creepiest thing I've ever seen in a 7.30 timeslot.

She's a gun and looks fresher in the face every day that goes by.
The others look like immature 15yo schoolboys

She's killin the game with these brownies, she's got more than she could know what to do with.

I hope she's smoking them or "grilling" them. They talk about respecting the animal by consuming all of it in those soups, I'd have thought you're respecting the animal more by creating something enjoyable. (Or as enjoyable as you can in the setting.)

Mike could be dangerous now he has his s**t together. Hopefully him and Gina final 2 with it at least making it to 40.

It's definitely a 2-horse race now, between Mike & Gina.

Michael is attempting to shift camp, lugging 70kg of camera equipment (plus all his personal equipment) 1.2km, through dense forest, over uneven ground. He's attempting to do this deep in the 4th week of the competition, while exhausted from not having eaten anything substantial in that entire time. Then, when he gets there, he needs to build a whole new campsite. There is no way he has the energy to pull this off successfully - he could have done it in week 1, but not in his current physical state. Even if the new site is bountiful, he's placed himself in a position from which there is no coming back.

As for the recent departures...

Chris - I applaud SBS for including him in the series. His struggles with PTSD made for compelling viewing, and were presented in an honest and sympathetic way. I think he made the right decision to participate, and the right decision to leave when he did - for the right reasons. The US series has never had a contestant with severe mental health issues before, and his inclusion has highlighted the difficulties that these people encounter on a daily basis. I think he would have lasted a bit longer, if the helicopter didn't trigger a PTSD attack - but at the end of the day, he chose to leave before he went into a hole from which he couldn't return.

Kate - Demonstrated a competence, both mental and skills wise. She and Mike are probably the only two healthily balanced competitors in the whole show. The pull of family has taken out many competitors in the US version, and with a young baby at home it was only a matter of time before it hit her hard. I suspect the open-ended nature of the competition also played a part here - it's one thing to say "I'll be away for X days, and then I'll be back", with a fixed finish line in mind; it's entirely another to say "I'm going away, and I don't know when I will be back".

As for the two front runners...

Mike was seriously struggling, until he caught (and landed) that first eel. That was a game changer for him. Before that, he was lethargic in his movements, and appeared to be struggling mentally. By the end of the show, he was back in the game mentally, and the eel fat had recharged his batteries. It's game on.

Gina has demonstrated a surprising competence, right since day 1. Many people wrote her off, as nothing more than a hippie chick, who appeared to be off with the fairies on day 1. She's much more than that. She was the first one who demonstrated the ability to catch fish on a regular basis. For my money, she's been the front runner since episode 3.

Mike & Gina are now both in the position where they are living on the land - not just existing.

There are still a number of events which have been shown in previews, but which are yet to occur on screen. We've seen Gina eating something with red meat, and a large ribcage - so we know that the quote in last night's preview about the fish not being enough is just a red herring (apologies for the metaphor). We've seen a wallaby net falling on one of the competitors, as he's attempting to set a trap - presumably this is Michael, given that we've seen the work he's done on building that very net.

With Mike & Gina now well established in their camp life, I'm expecting to see quite a few time jumps in the last 2 episodes. At this point, life for them is a set routine, and routines don't make for exciting viewing. I think Michael will go in episode 9, and then it will be lots of fast forwarding to the final elimination late in episode 10.

Mike, or Gina, who wins?

I thought there were only 10 episodes? Next week is a single episode, being episode 9. Then there's a double the following week - 10 & 11. That will be followed by the Alone Australia Reunion on SBS on Demand (which will then be shown on SBS the following night).

With 3 episodes to go, and only 3 contestants remaining, I'm definitely expecting some time jumps, until we reach the point where Gina or Mike can no longer continue.

Gina has demonstrated a surprising competence, right since day 1. Many people wrote her off, as nothing more than a hippie chick, who appeared to be off with the fairies on day 1.

Did anyone write her off? I think she has been one of most people's favourites since the start. The comments basically being she has a good mix of skills and crazy. While nearly everything in this version has been embarrassing compared to the US version I think Gina's preparation is as good as if not better than any female we have seen in the US version and there's been some absolute weapons in those seasons. The weight she packed on, the possum coat over a sleeping bag and just her head space and the way she has mentally gone about it I'm an absolute fan as someone who has watched every minute of the US version and all the side shows. She's the one participant we've had that I'd be comfortable wouldn't embarrass us if put in the US show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Episode 1 Boat GIF by The Simpsons

Contestants should have been given a bar of soap...so as my mum used to say...wash your mouth out with soap son. World would cringe if they saw this. F bomb central.

Dare I ask about this: I was going to catch up on this show with the family when it is all said and done. Is it a no-go for a primary school student?

Dare I ask about this: I was going to catch up on this show with the family when it is all said and done. Is it a no-go for a primary school student?
Just a lot of f bombs as they are struggling. I guess it depends on their age and if they are exposed to that sort of language at all. Some parents would be ok...others not I suppose.

There's a few F-bombs when things go pear shaped, no different to what most people would say in those situations. Nothing adult themed, or even any nudity requiring pixelation.

Depends on how sheltered your kid's existence has been to date, and that depends on your parenting style. In short - it's a call that only you can make.

Damn how did the episode end as my recording ended. Did Michael just have a bit of a meltdown?
Burst into tears, which is not uncommon around this point in their adventure. Wasn't quite as good as the guy who finished runner-up in S1 of the US version - his was a truly epic breakdown.

So... it all comes to an end tonight, with a double episode. There's also a reunion episode tomorrow night, which is available on SBS on Demand tonight, for those who can't wait an extra 24 hours.

We pick up with Michael having expended a LOT of energy moving camp, and has now hit the "spontaneously bursting into tears" zone, which almost always results in the contestant tapping out shortly thereafter. To be honest, he was probably damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. He was seemingly incapable of finding any meaningful food at his original campsite, but the energy spent in moving campsite has wrecked any benefit he may have gained from moving. I'm surprised he survived Ep 10, I can't see him surviving Ep 11.

Mike got himself back in the game by catching those 2 eels, before confirming everyone's opinion of him as the world's worst fisherman. Ep 10 saw him wasting a LOT of energy, with nothing whatsoever to show for it. First he went diving in the freezing water, trying to free a snagged fishing line. That failed. Then he went for a long canoe ride, looking for more food. He didn't find any food, and instead got caught outdoors when it started pissing down rain. He did manage to catch one fish during the course of this episode, but that's nowhere near enough to replace the energy he lost due to stupidity.

Gina gave us a sob story on the anniversary of her child's death. She shed a few tears, but they weren't the irrational tears of someone whose body is breaking down, ala Michael. It's simply a sad day for her, which comes around every year. She didn't catch much in the way of food, but nor did she do anything stupid to waste what energy she did have.

The previews have previously shown Gina chowing down on red meat, from an animal with a large ribcage - presumably a wallaby. Given where we're at in the competition, catching/killing/eating a wallaby is going to be a massive game changer. Barring any unforeseen changes in the circumstances and stupidity of Mike and Michael, it's hard not to see her emerging as the winner of Alone Season 1.

Don't forget - double episode tonight, reunion episode tomorrow night.

As an aside, Gina did mention about the tide going up & down... then she said that it took 2-3 days. It's fairly clear from the latter comment that she's not talking about lunar tidal movements, so much as rainfall causing water levels to rise, before the additional water volume drains away through the lake's outlet (presumably some river/creek).

I thought clearing the snags out of her fishing area was an interesting idea. It did cost her a bit of energy, and it's only going to be of benefit when the "tide" rises, but it could potentially result in improved food production (or reduced losses due to snags). Could go either way, as an energy producer, or just a waste of energy expended. At least the energy she wasted was nowhere near as much as Mike & Michael's.

I said at the very start.
Walk your property every morning, as you might find a better spot before you've expended on your camp-site.
Walking your property everyday allows you to stack firewood along the way and be able to retrieve quickly if it rains for 2 days and you're stuck indoors.
So that's a failure for church boy.

Clean around your water access.
If you suddenly get burnt you can access water safely immediately.
No snags for fish.
The waterside rocks are perfect size for fire and a smoking pit, these 2 things should be built early so a late night catch can be smoked whilst you sleep.
Silly army doofus tried to eat a late night eel and wasted it because he lacked foresight.

The woman.
Although like all if us she made minor errors her camp is structurally perfect with a windbreak for severe weather.
The other 2 would die if it rained hard for 3 days straight.

Back