worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Is the AFL Live call with Rex Hunt slightly out of sync with the action or does Rex do a great job in believing Bont will kick the goal before he has actually kicked the ball?

Is the AFL Live call with Rex Hunt slightly out of sync with the action or does Rex do a great job in believing Bont will kick the goal before he has actually kicked the ball?
He calls a bunch of things before they actually happen.

I hate it. A lot. Says it completely devoid of enthusiasm or excitement half the time as well.

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades

I hate it. A lot. Says it completely devoid of enthusiasm or excitement half the time as well.
Yeah and forces him to backtrack all the time. "He kicks a goal. No, he's missed."

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Reminds me of Bill Lawry in the cricket who constantly shreiks 'GONE!!!' only for a ball to fly past a fielder out of reach or similar. Bloody annoying.

Having said that, I do like Rex's commentary of the Boyd goal - "Tom Boyd can kick a goal and win the flag, and he has done...just...that" as the ball bounces towards the line.

Yeah and forces him to backtrack all the time. "He kicks a goal. No, he's missed."
Bruce does that too.

I did like his follow up: "Listen to the fans! THIS is why we come to the football!"

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I think he does it so he's not talking over the crowd roar. It's cool when it works out but frustrating as a fan listening live when it doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I presume the octocall concept was Sack of Balls' original idea, not that of some other supporter from another club. When you type "football octocall" into YouTube it highlights a bunch of Bulldogs games.

Well before my time, but my old man would know!
My hero when I first started following the Dogs I had his number on my jumper. Even got to play in it for Phillip Island ressies

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Just giving Sack of Ball’s a bump again as I just love his YouTube channel as I’m sure most of the members of this Bulldog Community on BF do.

Thanks again for all of your work Sack (aka Al) and in particular this year the various octo calls and quad/hepta calls of the marks from Naughton and Crozier are just fantastic. I love hearing the different commentaries because when I’m watching the game or recording it I only get Channel 7 or Fox Footy but never the various radio commentaries which I love to hear.

Keep up the great work!!!

Last edited:

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
in fact heres all of the Grand final videos just reuploaded now

2016 Grand final octocalls:
Picken mark
Stringer goal
Picken's 2nd goal
TBoyd goal
Picken sealer
Final Siren
Just bringing this set of streams back up to the fore as well. I just watched the Pickens 2nd Goal again with Biggsy’s multiple efforts and the loudest roar you are ever likely to hear at the G. This is the only place you can watch this now. It’s not even on the YouTube channel. Just love it!!

Apr 22, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just bringing this set of streams back up to the fore as well. I just watched the Pickens 2nd Goal again with Biggsy’s multiple efforts and the loudest roar you are ever likely to hear at the G. This is the only place you can watch this now. It’s not even on the YouTube channel. Just love it!!

I just watched it again. Is...is that a...piece of sand in my eye?

lateniter

All Australian
Oct 9, 2012
NSW Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Norwood, East Perth, Spurs, 49ers

Thanks for the chance to relive these amazing moments in footy history..

1)Picken/Biggs "never forget" goal
2)Boyd "stadium holds its breath" goal
3)Picken "it's over" goal

The three greatest moments for me.

Last edited:

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Thanks for the chance to relive these amazing moments in footy history..

1)Picken/Biggs "never forget" goal
2)Boyd "stadium holds its breath" goal
3)Picken "it's all over" goal

The three greatest moments for me.
Thanks, I just thought some people wouldn’t have known that they were buried in this thread a few pages back and they are absolute gold. I used to watch them all at least once a week at one stage, but I hadn’t for a while and lost track of where this thread had gone. Sack of Balls does have some of them on his YouTube channel “Al’s Highlights” but the Biggs/Picken goal isn’t there so this is the only place you can still get to watch it with all of the different commentaries.

You notice something different every time. In the ABC coverage of the Picken sealer they said that Bob Menzies was Prime Minister when the Dogs last won a flag and that "Clive Churchill was the Prime Minister of the UK". LOL.

It also occurred to me how good it was that Picken didn't take that mark in the goal square (maybe he wasn't trying to anyway?) For the theatre of the moment it was so much better that he was able to run onto it and kick the sealer from a metre out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back