ALs Highlights!

Remove this Banner Ad

In Bev's words Barrett just said "it's a little story we'll be mentioning, nothing much to it, etc", or something to that effect.

This one is interesting because Beveridge is the person who should be responding, but the protocol seems to require Barrett contact the club first.

Journalists should be trying to ensure they get comments from all material parties, not just trying to tick the box that they technically made contact so that they can run the story they want to run (despite that often being what happens e.g. Seeking comment 15 minutes before print).

No, they don't have to get the clubs input on the story that's about to break. Pretty sure Robinson didn't talk to Collingwood or anybody from the AFL prior to breaking the story

No, they don't have to get the clubs input on the story that's about to break. Pretty sure Robinson didn't talk to Collingwood or anybody from the AFL prior to breaking the story

And that's part of the reason Robinson has been criticised so heavily. A journalist's role is to report facts. Where the story relates to an alleged conversation between two parties, the second party to be contacted should be fully availed of what the first has said and be afforded the opportunity to respond in full before the story is printed, so that both sides of any disputed facts are put to the public.

This is why articles that report allegations by one party against another say, at least, "x, y, z was contacted for comment and declined". This is precisely why Barrett contacted Beveridge, so he could tick the box of having sought input from each party.

I understood Beveridge's comments as suggesting that Barrett, firstly, acted outside of the usual protocol by contacting Beveridge directly and, secondly, glossed over and did not fully divulge what he had been told.

The inference one can take from the above is that Barrett's conduct was intended to avoid Beveridge disputing what Barrett had been told, thus allowing Barrett to publish the story he wanted. That, if true, may be unethical.

I don't know if my interpretation is correct or not and I'm not in a position to accuse Barrett of anything.

Cheers for all this content sackofballs

Must take up a lot of your free time, your dedication to the cause is awesome
Thanks, it does and it's a pleasure to do so. Unfortunately there seems to be an influx recently of people (not here but fb/youtube) who keep rudely asking for full episodes and full matches to be uploaded despite me saying no. Can't keep everyone happy eh

Thanks, it does and it's a pleasure to do so. Unfortunately there seems to be an influx recently of people (not here but fb/youtube) who keep rudely asking for full episodes and full matches to be uploaded despite me saying no. Can't keep everyone happy eh

Think we are all pretty happy over here :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back