Society/Culture Alt-Right: How the Breitbart Machine Laundered Racist Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get why these posters ally with a movement that is comfortable with white ethno-states, has leaders who embrace genocide, equivocate on nazi terrorists running down people, but bristle when called a racist. That's what he alt right is. White nationalism and neo nazism. That's all it is.

They can pull the "You're a racist because you think Im a racist" card but it just makes them look stupid.

lol. No decent person favours illegal immigration. Its called the rule of law.

Lol. As if being anti mass illegal immigration equates to white nationalism.

The dems only believe in mass illegal immigration because they want to import voters.

I cant really you are silly enough to fall for their pathetic attempt to defend blatant gerrrymandering of the political system via calling people racists.

Almost as ridiculous as calling for voting ID as being "voter suppression"

Yes but you believe people of African descent are inherently less intelligent than Europeans so we'll leave it there, apart from pointing out that if you believe the bro-Nazis weren't harnessed by Breitbart and entertained by MILO then you need to pay more attention.

Interesting things coming out of the inquiry on Russian interference in the US election. Quelle surprise! They stoked racial animosity through social media!

Yes but you believe people of African descent are inherently less intelligent than Europeans so we'll leave it there
I'm curious, is there anything that goes against that belief?

There are some ethnicities and nationalities that seem to have inherently higher levels of intelligence. People of Ashkenazi Jewish descent are over represented as Nobel Prize winners by an enormous amount.

I'm curious, is there anything that goes against that belief?

There are some ethnicities and nationalities that seem to have inherently higher levels of intelligence. People of Ashkenazi Jewish descent are over represented as Nobel Prize winners by an enormous amount.
The Lebanese are over represented in some areas.

There are a studies on that sort of thing. The latest shows African American kids doing worse than expected in tests where they are told the outcome counts towards their results, but better on tests where they are told the outcome has no real effect. The Asian counting system is a lot better for kids to grasp maths, so they end up thinking they are "good at maths", coupled with parental pressure to succeed. Another study nailed down a general outlook that some kids get. I think it was something like: you are special, you come from a special group of people, but you are not so special that you can't get away without hard work. I'd have to find it again.

It's a fascinating topic, but there's no real general racial effect that I've ever seen. I am sure we have a few people on here that will come up with something though. ;)

The Lebanese are over represented in some areas.

There are a studies on that sort of thing. The latest shows African American kids doing worse than expected in tests where they are told the outcome counts towards their results, but better on tests where they are told the outcome has no real effect. The Asian counting system is a lot better for kids to grasp maths, so they end up thinking they are "good at maths", coupled with parental pressure to succeed. Another study nailed down a general outlook that some kids get. I think it was something like: you are special, you come from a special group of people, but you are not so special that you can't get away without hard work. I'd have to find it again.

It's a fascinating topic, but there's no real general racial effect that I've ever seen. I am sure we have a few people on here that will come up with something though. ;)
There's a fairly wide ranging study about the intelligence of the Ashkenazim being genetically founded here:

http://web.mit.edu/fustflum/documents/papers/AshkenaziIQ.jbiosocsci.pdf

A reasonable summary of the ideas are here:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/05/2...s-hungarian-high-school-science-fair-project/

Almost all science points to intelligence being hereditary. I don't think it's unreasonable to say some populations are naturally more intelligent than others and this may go along lines of ethnicity. What you do with this information is up to you.

Then you have genius level kids who end up doing not much more than working in low level jobs and wowing their friends with how good they are at solving puzzles.
Do you? Can drive not come from within?

Do you? Can drive not come from within?

I don't understand.

Some genius kids end up doing very little with their intelligence.

One teenager I know who can play multiple games of chess simultaneously is looking for work in an abattoir.

Given their are supposedly many many types of intelligence it isn't a stretch to understand that some of them aren't compatible with the opportunities a child is given.

I don't understand.

Some genius kids end up doing very little with their intelligence.

One teenager I know who can play multiple games of chess simultaneously is looking for work in an abattoir.

Given their are supposedly many many types of intelligence it isn't a stretch to understand that some of them aren't compatible with the opportunities a child is given.
Most don't though. Measures of intelligence are one of the most predictive things for life outcomes, salaries, even life expectancy.

Most don't though. Measures of intelligence are one of the most predictive things for life outcomes, salaries, even life expectancy.

Really? I haven't seen those studies.

Life expectancy:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4795559/

I’ll find the others when I have the time.

Very small effect and not fully understood:

We found, using data from three studies, that the small association between being brighter and living longer was mostly genetic in origin.

This is a key finding in cognitive epidemiology; it is a further indication that intelligence is not just ‘school-smarts'.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that taking a 16 year old to see Milo would be close to child abuse.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. To suggest taking an impressionable young man to see Milo is tantamount to 'child abuse' is nonsensical hyperbole.

Whilst I am not really Milo fan, I am fed up with the notion that we should hide ourselves and others from speech we may disagree with or find controversial. More than ever we need to teach young people that there is an open marketplace of ideas out there and that is the bedrock of the free society in which we exist. Whilst this free marketplace may contain goons who want to do nothing but bring others down and spew hatred, we need to have confidence that we can instill purposeful knowledge and value systems in children that will allow them to separate the wheat from the chaff.

IMO, taking a 16 year old male to a Milo event (or any controversial speaker) is a fantastic learning opportunity. He can listen to what has to be said and can be educated upon the strengths and weaknesses of Milo's positions.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. To suggest taking an impressionable young man to see Milo is tantamount to 'child abuse' is nonsensical hyperbole.

Whilst I am not really Milo fan, I am fed up with the notion that we should hide ourselves and others from speech we may disagree with or find controversial. More than ever we need to teach young people that there is an open marketplace of ideas out there and that is the bedrock of the free society in which we exist. Whilst this free marketplace may contain goons who want to do nothing but bring others down and spew hatred, we need to have confidence that we can instill purposeful knowledge and value systems in children that will allow them to separate the wheat from the chaff.

IMO, taking a 16 year old male to a Milo event (or any controversial speaker) is a fantastic learning opportunity. He can listen to what has to be said and can be educated upon the strengths and weaknesses of Milo's positions.
I don't think that is going to happen at all.

Pretty sure it's about hearing about lefty cucks, Muslims, illegal immigrants and whatever other s**t he is spewing.

I don't think that is going to happen at all.

Pretty sure it's about hearing about lefty cucks, Muslims, illegal immigrants and whatever other s**t he is spewing.
You can't stick your fingers in your ears because you believe what he says is worthless.

You have no chance of defeating his viewpoints if you dismiss his existence.

Wasn't 'Dangerous' no. 1 on a number of bestseller lists?

You can't stick your fingers in your ears because you believe what he says is worthless.

I know what he says is worthless.

Doesn't mean he can't milk it for cash from idiots.

People can listen to him. But it's pointless without understanding the context he is representing the movement ran by and for neo nazis and white nationalists.

We are not obliged to consider and debate every deranged idea. It gives them a credibility that is unearned. I don't give platforms to climate change deniers, anti vaxxers, homeopaths or neo nazis.

Last edited:
We are not obliged to consider and debate every deranged idea. It gives than a credibility that is unearned. I don't give platforms to climate change deniers, anti vaxxers, homeopaths or neo nazis.
I agree.

Coming back to my point about taking a 16 year old to Milo being child abuse, I feel we're more likely destroy these points of view by ruthlessly unpacking them rather than dismissing them outright.

I was quite miffed while taking a climate change subject at uni that they did not invite any denialist guest speakers. I felt it could have been a great learning experience for the class.

People can listen to him. But it's pointless without understanding the context he is representing the movement ran by and for neo nazis and white nationalists.
I feel taking someone from a point of ignorance to his show and explaining this context (if that is your belief) is a much more enriching experience than simply dismissing him.

I was quite miffed while taking a climate change subject at uni that they did not invite any denialist guest speakers. I felt it could have been a great learning experience for the class.
You think there is value in inviting speaks who are factually wrong?

It's not a high school debate; there is not 2 sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back