Society/Culture Alt-Right: How the Breitbart Machine Laundered Racist Hate

Half way through this one:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism

Big insight into the right-wing-billionaire backed Breitbart's "grass roots" alt-right movement.

Interesting to see this laid bare - the figures involved, Milo's cultivation of a network including writers, hackers, doxxers, and general dregs of the internet into a marketing machine for his tours and for Brietbart.

The descent of this group into spying, bullying, demanding, ostracising.

Worth a read ahead of his Australian tour.

Also read this: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mg9vvn/how-our-likes-helped-trump-win

Discusses the connections between Breitbart and Cambridge Analytica, and shows you just what Milo is being used for.

Bannon runs Breitbart, funded by billionaire Robert Mercer. Mercer owns a part of Cambridge Analytica, of which Bannon is/was a director.

Emails show Bannon hounding Milo the tech-blog editor of Breitbart into submission to become MILO the online messiah to millions of unhappy people.

MILO becomes part of the system to spread messages to particular groups of people. A system that micro-targets messages to discourage Clinton voters and pump up Trump voters. The system, for example, also includes an app for canvassers that gives them scripts for individual households. Individuals WITHIN households.

Last edited:

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
I find it quite fascinating watching self-identified 'conservatives' trying to contort themselves into the position required to celebrate a married homosexual pedophilia advocate just because he's moderately effective at trolling 'the left'. All at the same time as they are trying to explain that marriage equality in Australia will inevitably lead to the collapse of civilisation as we know it. Not only that, they then go so far as to call 'the left' confused for wanting to keep him out of the country.

Just astounding, really.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I wound up on there the other day, and reading comments on the Vegas shooting, it was surreal.

There were posts that were simple trolls, other posts that were inserted simply to steer conversation into conspiracy crap, flat out white nationalists and worse. There were literal flat earthers, chem trail believers, anti vaxxers, zionist conspiracy nutters and much worse.

I know this isnt indicative of the conservatve right generally, but it's fascinating to observe right leaning people going there (and other places like it) and getting sucked into the loopy far right wing stuff planted there by others.

We see it here with people trying to spam the site with alt accounts and sock puppets to push far right wing and right wing conspiracy agendas. They probably dont realise it but they're just unwitting agents of others who planted that crap there for them to begin with. Hackers target the unwitting with 'Pizzagate' and 'Sandy Hook was faked' stories, the naive right wingers/ conservatives buy in, and then they virally spread it from there on. Before long these (absurd) right wing conspiracy theories, and far right wing ideologies become 'mainstream' reality for many people.

The information age has created a really nasty phenomenon. Some people are literally living in a different percieved reality than others thanks to these conspiracies, planted stories, hacking and manipulation by people with an agenda.

Its both brilliant on some level, and highly disturbing on others. Moreso when you realise actual VR and AR are entering the public arena at present as well. If peoples reality can be manipulated so easily now, imagine in a few decades time?

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
More Zionists?

Weirdly you're the exact kind of person I was referring to above.

A conservative leaning person who is not educated, and has found their way onto conspiracy theories, far right wing memes and ideologies planted out there to pander to your conservative leanings. Absurd things like 'Pizzagate', and 'all mass shootings are fake' and 'Hillary died and was replaced by a body double' and 'Global warming isnt happening, and even if it is, its good for us' and so forth.

You're exactly the kind of person that these memes and stories are put out to target. You go from a conservative leaning person into someone who buys into some pretty crazy conspiracy stuff, and your views start to progress from OK conservative to scary far right wing.

You dont even realise its happening. While looking elsewhere for some kind of conspiracy, you're missing the real conspiracy. There are actual people out there that are collecting information from your metadata (likes on facebook, pages visited, internet searches, links followed), analysing it and then manipulating you to think (and percieve) a totally different reality.

Have a read of this if you dont believe me:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mg9vvn/how-our-likes-helped-trump-win

There are literally people out there right now, planting crap like flat earther stories, mass shooting conspiracy stuff, chem trails, 'Pizzagate', Hillary being a body double, Chem trails etc etc targetting people like you. Once they get you, you spread those theories to others, and it becomes viral. Soon peolpe start to buy into these 'alternative facts' or otherwise dont know what to believe (or they just give up).

And the truly remarkable thing is 99.9 percent of people have no idea they're really just part of the system, and are being manipulated.

Timothy McVeigh had to meet up with other far right wing nutters at gun shows to exchange conspiracy theories, alter his world view and become radicalised. Now the internet provides a much more accessable and larger sounding board, and there are people out there intentionally targetting people like you to push a far right wing agenda. Things then go viral, drawing in thousands more people. Rinse and repeat.

And you're gobbling it up without even noticing it.

Its diabolically clever, and truly terrifiying.

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn

A conservative leaning person who is not educated, and has found their way onto conspiracy theories, far right wing memes and ideologies planted out there to pander to your conservative leanings. Absurd things like 'Pizzagate', and 'all mass shootings are fake' and 'Hillary died and was replaced by a body double' and 'Global warming isnt happening, and even if it is, its good for us' and so forth.

You're exactly the kind of person that these memes and stories are put out to target. You go from a conservative leaning person into someone who buys into some pretty crazy conspiracy stuff, and your views start to progress from OK conservative to scary far right wing.

You dont even realise its happening. While looking elsewhere for some kind of conspiracy, you're missing the real conspiracy. There are actual people out there that are collecting information from your metadata (likes on facebook, pages visited, internet searches, links followed), analysing it and then manipulating you to think (and percieve) a totally different reality.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mg9vvn/how-our-likes-helped-trump-win

There are literally people out there right now, planting crap like flat earther stories, mass shooting conspiracy stuff, chem trails, 'Pizzagate', Hillary being a body double, Chem trails etc etc targetting people like you. Once they get you, you spread those theories to others, and it becomes viral. Soon peolpe start to buy into these 'alternative facts' or otherwise dont know what to believe (or they just give up).

And the truly remarkable thing is 99.9 percent of people have no idea they're really just part of the system, and are being manipulated.

Timothy McVeigh had to meet up with other far right wing nutters at gun shows to exchange conspiracy theories, alter his world view and become radicalised. Now the internet provides a much more accessable and larger sounding board, and there are people out there intentionally targetting people like you to push a far right wing agenda. Things then go viral, drawing in thousands more people. Rinse and repeat.

Controlled opposition

Uneducated? That a pretty big statement on someone you don't know.

• Admin
Lol Buzzfeed
Yes that's my initial reaction but they wrote this based on piles of emails and docs that show the workings of Breitbart's Milo machine.

It is definitive proof that Milo is simply a sub-vehicle of Breitbart which is funded to spread the views of a right-wing hedge fund billionaire.

Yiannopoulos’s star rose throughout 2016 thanks to a succession of controversial public appearances, social media conflagrations, Breitbart radio spots, television hits, and magazine profiles. Bannon’s guidance, the Mercers’ patronage, and the creative energy of his young staff had come together at exactly the time Donald Trump turned offensive speech into a defining issue in American culture. And for thousands of people, Yiannopoulos, Breitbart’s poster child for offensive speech, became a secret champion.​

#war

Now, his died-in-the-wool supporters will deal with this by saying "who cares? he tells the truth". Simple human psychology won't allow many of them to change their view here as it attacks something they now have built into their self-view.

If the evidence shows that I have been duped, then surely the evidence is at fault, not me.

Other interesting points - far from being the "offend everyone" gadfly, Milo and his handlers showed some care to tame some openly anti-Semite hackers and Twitter notables. Anti-semitic views were seen as dangerous to Milo's profile. There was no ideology, just PR.

It's an entirely manufactured movement.

I think a few people have already said Milo is just the tip of the iceberg for the future. His mistakes and the haphazard, secretive, encrypted chat-room, controlled-chaos methods will be tamed and refined.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seriously, read the article I posted. This isnt a 'Left v Right' thing mate, its just an information thing.

Call it a lucky guess.
Hang on, but don't you have to be a right-wing, uneducated, conspiracy nut to believe that Facebook is actually an intelligence database used to spy on you?

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes that's my initial reaction but they wrote this based on piles of emails and docs that show the workings of Breitbart's Milo machine.

It is definitive proof that Milo is simply a sub-vehicle of Breitbart which is funded to spread the views of a right-wing hedge fund billionaire.

Yiannopoulos’s star rose throughout 2016 thanks to a succession of controversial public appearances, social media conflagrations, Breitbart radio spots, television hits, and magazine profiles. Bannon’s guidance, the Mercers’ patronage, and the creative energy of his young staff had come together at exactly the time Donald Trump turned offensive speech into a defining issue in American culture. And for thousands of people, Yiannopoulos, Breitbart’s poster child for offensive speech, became a secret champion.​

#war

Now, his died-in-the-wool supporters will deal with this by saying "who cares? he tells the truth". Simple human psychology won't allow many of them to change their view here as it attacks something they now have built into their self-view.

If the evidence shows that I have been duped, then surely the evidence is at fault, not me.

Other interesting points - far from being the "offend everyone" gadfly, Milo and his handlers showed some care to tame some openly anti-Semite hackers and Twitter notables. Anti-semitic views were seen as dangerous to Milo's profile. There was no ideology, just PR.

It's an entirely manufactured movement.

I think a few people have already said Milo is just the tip of the iceberg for the future. His mistakes and the haphazard, secretive, encrypted chat-room, controlled-chaos methods will be tamed and refined.
I find it pretty fun to watch Milo. I think he can be pretty charismatic and as someone else said, (maybe JackOutback) he could potentially have a good career if he ditched the provocateur act and debated rationally. Despite that, I think it's been pretty obvious how much Breitbart has manufactured him into being their biggest star. When you listen to him speak, you realise he isn't lying when he admits that he has no interest in policy.

Sure, being a policy wonk isn't everything, but why would anyone listen to a Brit who has no understanding of US politics?

But to address Breitbart in general - it's a pathetic excuse for media and I've never even bothered opening an article from there.

Got your tickets yet?

I read this last night and filed it in the same dumpster as the "Golden Shower" expose

Best thing is the amount of work my 16 yr old is doing to get me to take him to see MILO
Simple human psychology won't allow you to change your support for hedge fund billionaire-backed Milo as it attacks something you now have built into your self-view.

I believe that taking a 16 year old to see Milo would be close to child abuse. I have no doubt that as he hits his late 20's and early 30's he will look back on it as a former WWE fan does. Embarrassed at his own childhood naiveté. And ashamed of his Dad for encouraging him.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

There is no doubt we are seeing a rise of the alt-right but lets put things into perspective.

What we have seen is a gradual march over the past 20 years by the far left through our government institutions , they have basically captured total control of the ABC ,SBS , the human rights commission and our education system . These people are using our government institutions to try and totally destroy western civilisation because they think its unfair .

Look at all the pillars of western society that is currently under attack by the far left .

Gender, Christianity ,reliable power ,strong boarders ,free speech, marriage , the national flag, the national anthem ,Australia day , demonising white people ,demonising men and an attempt to erase our history .

This is all a relatively new fade as the left used to focus specifically on making life better for the working and middle class but today because the far left are the ones who control most of our government institutions they are on path to totally destroy western society .Unfortunately you can only push people around for so long until they fight back which is why we are seeing the recent rise of the far right .

I find it pretty fun to watch Milo. I think he can be pretty charismatic and as someone else said, (maybe JackOutback) he could potentially have a good career if he ditched the provocateur act and debated rationally. Despite that, I think it's been pretty obvious how much Breitbart has manufactured him into being their biggest star. When you listen to him speak, you realise he isn't lying when he admits that he has no interest in policy.

Sure, being a policy wonk isn't everything, but why would anyone listen to a Brit who has no understanding of US politics?

But to address Breitbart in general - it's a pathetic excuse for media and I've never even bothered opening an article from there.
That he has applied his skill to being the mouthpiece of odious creatures like Bannon and the unbelievably foul alt-right points to a deep character flaw.

Yes he's a showman. But he is an operator and the "I just make jokes, why do you hate free speech?" persona is simply a lie. The emails prove this.

He is wholeheartedly amplifying bigotry and making it mainstream at the bidding of people who could not give less of a * about the plight of the ordinary people whose insecurities and fears he harnesses and inflames.

He has been, if you want to get reductionist, groomed by older men to be their toy. Here is Bannon applying the leash, sharpish:

The previous November, Yiannopoulos emailed Bannon with a bone to pick. Breitbart London reported that a London college student behind a popular social justice hashtag had threatened the anti-Islam activist Pamela Geller.

“The story is horseshit and we should never have published it,” Yiannopoulos wrote. “Reckless and stupid. … Strongly recommend we pull. it’s insanely defamatory. I spoke to pamela geller and even she said it was rubbish. We’re outright lying about this girl and surely we’re better than that. We can and should win by telling the truth.”

Six minutes later, Bannon wrote back to his tech editor in a fury. “Your [sic] full of s**t. When I need your advice on anything I will ask. ... The tech site is a total cluster*---meaningless stories written by juveniles. You don’t have a clue how to build a company or what real content is. And you don’t have long to figure it out or your [sic] gone. … You are magenalia [sic].”​

(Geller clarified to BuzzFeed News in a statement that she believed it was "rubbish" that the London university characterized the threats against her as "fake.")

That afternoon, Bannon emailed Yiannopoulos and Marlow.

“Dude---we r in a global existentialist war where our enemy EXISTS in social media and u r jerking yourself off w/ marginalia!!!! U should be OWNING this conversation because u r everything they hate!!! Drop your toys, pick up your tools and go help save western civilization.

Message received,” Yiannopoulos wrote back. “I will do a Week of Islam next week.”

“U don’t need that,” Bannon responded. “Just get in the fight---ur Social Media and they have made it a powerful weapon of war. … There is no war correspondent in the west yet dude and u can own it and be remember for 3 generations--or sit around wasting your God-given talents jerking off to your fan base.”

Over the next several months, Yiannopoulos began to find the right targets. First it was a continued attack on Shaun King, the writer and Black Lives Matter activist whose ethnicity Yiannopoulos had called into question. Next it was then–Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, who Bannon called in an email to Yiannopoulos the “poster child for the narcissistic ecosystem.”​

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
Simple human psychology won't allow you to change your support for hedge fund billionaire-backed Milo as it attacks something you now have built into your self-view.
You do realize MILO is now worth more that 4 million himself:p
I believe that taking a 16 year old to see Milo would be close to child abuse. I have no doubt that as he hits his late 20's and early 30's he will look back on it as a former WWE fan does. Embarrassed at his own childhood naiveté. And ashamed of his Dad for encouraging him.
You still stopping your son from watching PewDiePie?

Breitbart as Trump's publicity machine:

Over the next several months, Yiannopoulos began to find the right targets.
And increasingly it was enemies of Donald Trump. In response to a Yiannopoulos pitch accusing a prominent Republican opponent of Trump of being a pill-popper, Bannon wrote: “Dude!!! LMAO! … Epic.” And Bannon signed off on an April story by Yiannopoulos imploring #NeverTrumpers to get on board with “Trump and the alt-right.” (Bannon did, however, veto making it the lead story on the site, writing to Yiannopoulos and Marlow, “Looks like we have our thumb on the scale.”)

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
[
Seriously, read the article I posted. This isnt a 'Left v Right' thing mate, its just an information thing.

Call it a lucky guess.

In this country a far bigger problem is the Marxist ideology that is being pushed in our schools and education system and the total left wing bias of the ABC not some far right wing media outlet .

The idea that the world is made up of the oppressed and the oppressors appeals to lots of people because if you identify yourself as being oppressed than you don't need to take any personal responsibility , if something goes wrong you can just blame someone else .

Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
Milo is basically Hando from Romper Stomper with a posh accent and nice clothes, except he's to much of a coward to do any of the dirty work himself. He's also a nonce.
A gay Jew with a black husband is now equal to a fictional a neo nazi skinhead

Wow you Alt-Left types really are upset with MILO
Did you sign the petition?

Well you did make a big thing about it
Was your 7 yr old already watching PewDiePie before you banned him after swallowing the "He's a NAZI" crap
So, your response is to try to change the topic to how I control my 7 year old son's access to mature online content?

Back