Society/Culture Alt-Right: How the Breitbart Machine Laundered Racist Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I can just see it now.....A glossary of terms all indexed & ranked, with an accompanying thought-crime punishment.

Soy-latte.....Day off.
Almond Yak milk.....Week off.
Melty snowflake....2 weeks.
Dialectical materialism....3 weeks.
Milos 4 POTUS......Lifetime Ban.
Brb - need to change pants

Feb 3, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can just see it now.....A glossary of terms all indexed & ranked, with an accompanying thought-crime punishment.

Soy-latte.....Day off.
Almond Yak milk.....Week off.
Melty snowflake....2 weeks.
Dialectical materialism....3 weeks.
Milos 4 POTUS......Lifetime Ban.
Bigot...1 week
Racist....2 weeks
Nazi....Life ban

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Has anyone read Kill All Normies?

I'm about halfway through it.

What did poor old Norm do to put so many people off-side?

Just read a few reviews of it, both positive & negative.....4-chan, internet culture & meme-wars.....meh, pass.

Trump won by systemic inside cheating/rigging....SFA to do with the alt right.

Interested to hear your take on it though.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
.4-chan, internet culture & meme-wars.....meh, pass.
Well, we are in a thread about the Alt-right, P35.

Reading about the differences between the Alt-right and how they use alt-lighters like Milo as useful idiots has been pretty interesting.

Although, my favourite comment was the author mentioning that people don't care about liberal politicians conducting drone strikes as long as they support gay marriage and people forgive conservative politicians destroying families provided they try to take down unions.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Well, we are in a thread about the Alt-right, P35.

Reading about the differences between the Alt-right and how they use alt-lighters like Milo as useful idiots has been pretty interesting.

Although, my favourite comment was the author mentioning that people don't care about liberal politicians conducting drone strikes as long as they support gay marriage and people forgive conservative politicians destroying families provided they try to take down unions.

Oh yes....Absolutely....The meh was rather more about the so-called internet culture-war scene, re 4chan, tumblr, breitbart, Reddit et al.

Here's one of those 'negative' reviews if you're interested: I've inscluded a snippet that encompasses the gist of it.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/08/30/kill-all-normies-is-an-awful-book/

"Nagles' effort, which portrays itself as both opposed to the alt-right and racism, is actually neither and can very easily be described as either a truly bad case of political journalism lacking any grasp of American politics or alternatively a moderate liberal’s plea for free speech absolutism. Let’s be clear, we need a very detailed and mature analysis of the alt-right that helps us get a handle on what we are facing. Sadly Nagle is obviously incapable of doing this."

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh yes....Absolutely....The meh was rather more about the so-called internet culture-war scene, re 4chan, tumblr, breitbart, Reddit et al.

Here's one of those 'negative' reviews if you're interested: I've inscluded a snippet that encompasses the gist of it.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/08/30/kill-all-normies-is-an-awful-book/

"Nagles' effort, which portrays itself as both opposed to the alt-right and racism, is actually neither and can very easily be described as either a truly bad case of political journalism lacking any grasp of American politics or alternatively a moderate liberal’s plea for free speech absolutism. Let’s be clear, we need a very detailed and mature analysis of the alt-right that helps us get a handle on what we are facing. Sadly Nagle is obviously incapable of doing this."
Yeah, I did read that review before I started reading the book tonight.

The author of that article seems to be incensed that the book is not a ranting and raving attack on the alt-right. I think that Nagle gives credit to those she considers intelligent within the Alt-right probably bothers the Counter Punch writer.

I heard Nagle on a podcast last night so decided to check the book out. It's a nice, easy read and fits the basis of what most SRP discussions descend into.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yeah, I did read that review before I started reading the book tonight.

The author of that article seems to be incensed that the book is not a ranting and raving attack on the alt-right. I think that Nagle gives credit to those she considers intelligent within the Alt-right probably bothers the Counter Punch writer.

I heard Nagle on a podcast last night so decided to check the book out. It's a nice, easy read and fits the basis of what most SRP discussions descend into.

And just for balance sake, here's a positive review:

https://thehumanist.com/magazine/se...ine-culture-wars-4chan-tumblr-trump-alt-right

"Angela Nagle’s short, intelligent book, Kill All Normies: Online Culture Wars from 4Chan and Tumblr to Trump and the Alt-Right, is the story of how these “teenage gamers, pseudonymous swastika-posting anime lovers, ironic South Park conservatives, anti-feminist pranksters, nerdish harassers, and meme-making trolls” had until recently been gaining so much cultural, political, and ideological momentum. Somehow the politics of David Duke combined with the middle-class whininess-cum-sadism of Generation Xers became fashionable online. Explanations are needed. Nagle brilliantly provides them."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But yeh, everyone's an idiot and full of s**t and shouldn't be allowed to talk. But my revolution hasn't yet started so we still have to put up with them.

Hehe didn’t take long :)

One of us. One of us.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
This is interesting.

There is a group on Facebook called Mark Latham's Outsiders support group with 15,000 members. It's changed to a closed group and here is screenshot of the screening question. The 14 words. In fairness, Latham has criticised the group, but it's no coincidence an avowed white nationalist group embraced him.

Da3e5c4VQAACykR.jpg

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
What was the justification for that claim? Before the Russians helped convince so many right-wingers to care about drones, the loudest ones complaining about Obama's strikes were lefties. Is "destroying families" a reference to conservatives having affairs or multiple marriages?

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
What was the justification for that claim? Before the Russians helped convince so many right-wingers to care about drones, the loudest ones complaining about Obama's strikes were lefties. Is "destroying families" a reference to conservatives having affairs or multiple marriages?
This is harder to recall given it's been a few months since I read the book. I think she basically argued that a lot of people are willing to ignore things like the expanded powers of CIA or FBI or whatever under Obama, as long as the more populist issues of gender pay gaps etc are noted. I think she expressed sadness that a lot of people will vote for politicians despite their complicity in so many people dying internationally.

Yeah, the conservative aspect was probably to the hypocrisy in preaching the sanctity of marriage while looking the other way re: infidelity. I think it went a step further in noting the cognitive dissonance in promoting 'family values' while cutting funding to programmes necessary for families. Or, to take it a step further, dividing families by deporting some members.

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
This is harder to recall given it's been a few months since I read the book. I think she basically argued that a lot of people are willing to ignore things like the expanded powers of CIA or FBI or whatever under Obama, as long as the more populist issues of gender pay gaps etc are noted. I think she expressed sadness that a lot of people will vote for politicians despite their complicity in so many people dying internationally.

Yeah, the conservative aspect was probably to the hypocrisy in preaching the sanctity of marriage while looking the other way re: infidelity. I think it went a step further in noting the cognitive dissonance in promoting 'family values' while cutting funding to programmes necessary for families. Or, to take it a step further, dividing families by deporting some members.
Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like pretty weak sauce. It's practical to think 'I will vote for the side that believes in more of the things I believe in than the other'. Rarely will someone find a party that mirrors their full beliefs, and of course those discussions happen within parties all the time.

It's also a legitimate (and completely short-sighted) point that people who trust a politician more will be more likely to trust their exercise of power. I saw today that apparently the Presidential ability to pardon people is pretty much at their discretion. With Trump in power, the tweet I saw alleged that New York was looking to implement some State laws to ensure he couldn't potentially scupper some of their court cases for serious crimes via those pardons. Previously, people weren't overly concerned at what sort of pardons might happen because the Presidents had far more credibility.

A look back in time to Pepe.

Pretty detailed hostory, including the time Alex Jones ripped off Pepe on a poster he sold through his online shop, and ending up having to pay Pepe's creator $15k in damages.

Fast forward through the first couple of minutes. General banter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back