Opinion Alternate pick 6 2010 national draft: Prestia, Lynch, Caddy or Conca.

Remove this Banner Ad

xInfected_Virus

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wisconsin Badgers Women's Volleyball
In the 2010 national draft with pick 6, do you wish you had one of Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch, Josh Caddy or were you happy getting Reece Conca?

In hindsight, it would've been great having either Prestia or Lynch be a Tiger as early as 2010 but would've they thrived as a Tiger though during the early to mid 2010s.

- With Lynch, him and Jack would've formed one of the most dominant KPF duo for the whole decade even becoming an upgrade on Kennedy and Darling or Lynch could've ended up like Vickery or Griffiths as Lynch developed being Gold Coast's number one KPF and Lynch going to the Tigers in 2010 may have stifled his development as Jack and Vickery were the main targets although Lynch may have pushed Vickery to play as the main ruckman so Lynch and Jack will be the KPF targets. I reckon if Vickery goes as the full time ruck then Lynch and Jack would've worked out in 2010, Jack will put up the same numbers as he does today and Lynch will put out good numbers, probably similar when he was at Gold Coast in this timeline.

- Prestia would've shined as a Tiger and may have improved your ladder position during the H&A season around 2011-2016 (may have to bottom out in 2016 to get Tom Lynch though).

- Not sure about Caddy though.

- Conca was the right choice at the time but injuries curtailed his career and he could've been a star, won a club B&F and multiple AAs if he stayed fit.

Best case scenario (In hindsight).

You draft Prestia with pick 6 and little to nothing much change from 2011-2015. Bottom out in 2016 to get the high draft pick needed for Tom Lynch from the Suns and he becomes a THREE or even four time premiership player. I can guarantee you'll beat Adelaide by a lot more in the 2017 Grand Final if you got him. 2018 prelim is still a question mark but having another Lynch alongside greatly helped Jack as their only KPDs on the day are Goldsack, Howe and Langdon so Dusty would've gotten a better match up forward with Langdon as his opponent as Howe would've been forced to play on Jack but I don't think you would've been able to stop Cox's rampage as he was in gun form and he got great delivery and your defense didn't block his leading space or put body on him which allowed him to run and jump and mark with ease. 2019 and 2020 would pan out the same though with back to back flags.

I know plenty of things will change via the Butterfly effect but I won't get into that.

I really don’t bother spending a moment to worry about any of our missed draft picks prior to 2017.

I know you’ve stated you don’t want to go into the butterfly affect but ultimately every missed draft pick got us into a position to recruit the other players who are currently on our list and helped bring the club three premierships in four years.

I wouldn’t change a single pick!

Yeah things have turned put pretty well really.. we'll leave it as is.

Jordan McMahon goal after the siren is the sliding doors moment at Richmond.

In the 2010 national draft with pick 6, do you wish you had one of Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch, Josh Caddy or were you happy getting Reece Conca?

In hindsight, it would've been great having either Prestia or Lynch be a Tiger as early as 2010 but would've they thrived as a Tiger though during the early to mid 2010s.

- With Lynch, him and Jack would've formed one of the most dominant KPF duo for the whole decade even becoming an upgrade on Kennedy and Darling or Lynch could've ended up like Vickery or Griffiths as Lynch developed being Gold Coast's number one KPF and Lynch going to the Tigers in 2010 may have stifled his development as Jack and Vickery were the main targets although Lynch may have pushed Vickery to play as the main ruckman so Lynch and Jack will be the KPF targets. I reckon if Vickery goes as the full time ruck then Lynch and Jack would've worked out in 2010, Jack will put up the same numbers as he does today and Lynch will put out good numbers, probably similar when he was at Gold Coast in this timeline.

- Prestia would've shined as a Tiger and may have improved your ladder position during the H&A season around 2011-2016 (may have to bottom out in 2016 to get Tom Lynch though).

- Not sure about Caddy though.

- Conca was the right choice at the time but injuries curtailed his career and he could've been a star, won a club B&F and multiple AAs if he stayed fit.

Best case scenario (In hindsight).

You draft Prestia with pick 6 and little to nothing much change from 2011-2015. Bottom out in 2016 to get the high draft pick needed for Tom Lynch from the Suns and he becomes a THREE or even four time premiership player. I can guarantee you'll beat Adelaide by a lot more in the 2017 Grand Final if you got him. 2018 prelim is still a question mark but having another Lynch alongside greatly helped Jack as their only KPDs on the day are Goldsack, Howe and Langdon so Dusty would've gotten a better match up forward with Langdon as his opponent as Howe would've been forced to play on Jack but I don't think you would've been able to stop Cox's rampage as he was in gun form and he got great delivery and your defense didn't block his leading space or put body on him which allowed him to run and jump and mark with ease. 2019 and 2020 would pan out the same though with back to back flags.

I know plenty of things will change via the Butterfly effect but I won't get into that.
Conca was a left field pick not many were happy with, but I have to say I have been impressed with his recent work at Freo, I owe FJ a slight apology as I was apoplectic that we didn't take Hep-D at the time. Heppell jumped out of the blocks but that was his ceiling, has never improved.

Anyway, imo if not Conca, it was Heppell being taken by FJ. But if you went back, Lynch every time.

In hindsight you trade pick 6 for two later picks. Conca was a stretch at such a high pick. could still trade down abd nab a lynch or darling who fell late. So mid and kp forward. Prestia and Nank as trades set us up six years later tho... wow. That Prestia pick turns into Prestia, Caddy, Graham and Lynch. Three time premiership ruckman for a packet of chips.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprisingly, I reckon Vickery would have been a gun ruckman if he was played there from the start. So getting Lynch would have forced him into that role creating a win win for us. Like you said, butterfly effect!

We have won 3 premierships in the last 4 years, I wouldn't change anything
And couldn't. For all the work recruiters do, it comes down to injury luck, some kids not improving others showing late improvement. Thank Christ for trade period. Kids have got 3 or 4 years of form to judge them on. The draft irritates me.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, I reckon Vickery would have been a gun ruckman if he was played there from the start. So getting Lynch would have forced him into that role creating a win win for us. Like you said, butterfly effect!

Kicked 100 odd afl goals too. Wasn't a spud. Unbelievable he was bullied into retiring.

Yeah things have turned put pretty well really.. we'll leave it as is.

Jordan McMahon goal after the siren is the sliding doors moment at Richmond.
Sliding doors was the 04 draft.
If we nailed 3 of the 4 there was every chance we wouldn't have got Cotch(07) & Dusty(09).
Think about that for a minute.:think:

Sliding doors was the 04 draft.
If we nailed 3 of the 4 there was every chance we wouldn't have got Cotch(07) & Dusty(09).
Think about that for a minute.:think:
Even if we had drafted Franklin over Tambling, do any of us really think he would have stayed? We were pretty poor for many years there and other clubs would have noticed his talent and definitely lured him away.

Also consider that he left a premiership winning team to go to another for money, it doesn't seem like he's the loyal type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back