Alternative fixture idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I have an idea to get the fixture more even: one of the biggest bugbears of the afl is the bullshit fixture - not playing each team twice - home and away is a glaring failure of our league - heres my solution.

start the season two weeks earlier.

Each team plays the other - alternating home and away each year.

after round 17 the final 8 is set.

The top 8 become the first division - they get a week off then play each other once so thats 7 games - if you had a home fixture in the first 17 its away this time and vice versa

so a 24 round season with finals proceeding as usual after a week off.

the bottom 10 become the second division - play each other once as well - same formula - the top 4 of the bottom 8 play off for division 2 premiership with wafl finals format. No weeks off.

makes the draw a lot fairer, evens up the travel load considerably, give vic teams more games with hga.

the bottom teams have something to play for - more finals - more games at the end of the season that mean something - more revenue etc etc

Thoughts?

Not bad really.

But I think the bottom 10 might have trouble finding motivation for a 2nd Division finals prize. It would need to be a real reward, like draft picks. Not just a second rate cup.

Not bad really.

But I think the bottom 10 might have trouble finding motivation for a 2nd Division finals prize. It would need to be a real reward, like draft picks. Not just a second rate cup.
or serious coin for the club and players.

i can see what you are saying for say hawthorn on the way down after three flags - but it could be a great thing for a club thats rebuilt and on the way up.

gives the bottom clubs some finals experience too.

or serious coin for the club and players.

i can see what you are saying for say hawthorn on the way down after three flags - but it could be a great thing for a club thats rebuilt and on the way up.

gives the bottom clubs some finals experience too.

Remember this?

1573045681981.png

Finishing 2nd means nothing in AFL. Finishing 9th won't be enough.

It is always the same problem when trying to create divisions, with out culture.

Hopefully interstate advantage is lessening.. with professionalism and more uniform ground sizes.

Draft picks based on wins doesnt do much for equalisation.

I am happy with the way things are.. except i would consider introducing a draft lottery for the bottom 10, with the bottom team having the most `tickets'.

I think the pre-finals bye week has to go.

Remember this?

View attachment 775639

Finishing 2nd means nothing in AFL. Finishing 9th won't be enough.

It is always the same problem when trying to create divisions, with out culture.

Hopefully interstate advantage is lessening.. with professionalism and more uniform ground sizes.

I am happy with the way things are.. except i would consider introducing a draft lottery for the bottom 10, with the bottom team having the most `tickets'.

I think the bye week has to go.
You are thinking this through from the perspective of a team thats been up the top a long time.

if you support a team where you know 1/2 way through the season that you arent making finals - this would make the season way more exiting as now you are still playing off for the final four.

You are thinking this through from the perspective of a team thats been up the top a long time.

if you support a team where you know 1/2 way through the season that you arent making finals - this would make the season way more exiting as now you are still playing off for the final four.

You mean the top four of the bottom 10?

I have an idea to get the fixture more even: one of the biggest bugbears of the afl is the bullshit fixture - not playing each team twice - home and away is a glaring failure of our league - heres my solution.

The top 8 become the first division - they get a week off then play each other once so thats 7 games - if you had a home fixture in the first 17 its away this time and vice versa

the bottom 10 become the second division - play each other once as well - same formula - the top 4 of the bottom 8 play off for division 2 premiership with wafl finals format. No weeks off.

makes the draw a lot fairer, evens up the travel load considerably, give vic teams more games with hga.

the bottom teams have something to play for - more finals - more games at the end of the season that mean something - more revenue etc etc

Thoughts?

How about the prelim losers play off for third spot?

Nah, just give everyone a ribbon and be done with it.

Thoughts?
Just 17-5. Its the best system and yours is the second best cos its the closest to 17-5.

Gil had one masterstroke his entire career and everyone rejected it.

I think conferences are the best bet - there are lots of possibilities. If the AFL had stopped at 16 teams, we would have had a perfect set-up for a 22-round season.
I'm in favour of going to a 25-round season now (2x conferences). Clubs are already resting/managing players through a season, similar to what Euro soccer clubs do when the teams can play well over 50 games in a season. No one has ever done any study to show that 22 games is the 'optimal' amount - it's an accident of the old 12-team VFL, when we moved to a full H&A fixture in 1970 (prior to that we played 18 - so unbalanced draw every year up to 1970 - more asterisks!).

Give the teams a 44-player list (pretty much have that now). keep the mid-year draft to top-up from the minor league (yes, this affects the minor leagues negatively). Manage a squad. Start the season earlier, play more night games March-April. Get rid of pre-season, AFLX, whatever time-filler is used. Football owns all the grounds now - they are the prime tenants everywhere.

17 games
Finals

Every game will carry more weight, far less just banking wins mid season for top teams and less dead rubbers in the last 6 rounds.

Will never happen due to financial implications, crowds would be bigger but not enough for to make up for chopping off 50 games.

I don’t think there’s really anything that bad about the fixture. If anyone’s position gets inflated due to an easy fixture its usually found out pretty quickly in finals.
I’d like a bit less deliberate rigging with the pools of 6 though, that framework should be used to increase equity, not reduce it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17 rounds set in stone.. alternating home and away each year. then the last 5 games have as a floating fixture.. top 8 teams play each other.. bottom 10 teams play each other.. along those lines.

Just 17-5. Its the best system and yours is the second best cos its the closest to 17-5.

Gil had one masterstroke his entire career and everyone rejected it.
17-5 is actually genius, once you understand it. Oh well.

Next best is a 17 round season, with expanded finals series? Perhaps the finals can be straight knockout, best of 3-game series'?

Thoughts?

What would be simpler is to bring in another four clubs making it that you play everyone once in a 21-week season with no any mid-season byes.

Have a Final 10 (need a suitable format to make it work) and no pre-finals bye.

The 12-teams who miss out on the finals get a 'bonus' pick in the draft (positions 1-12) to help balance out the list inequities. These bonus picks can be traded if the clubs so desire.

17-5 is actually genius, once you understand it. Oh well.

Next best is a 17 round season, with expanded finals series? Perhaps the finals can be straight knockout, best of 3-game series'?

17-5 *IS* a 17 round season with expanded finals. You just have 2 'sets' of finals.

Thoughts?
it'd stop the team that's 10th in rd 17 from having any chance of making the 8...not great.
you could add a wild card weekend 7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9 for last 2 spots in the 8

or (for the salt) 2 conferences of 9 teams
9 melbourne clubs
9 non melb clubs .... yes that's you geelong
play each other twice with alternating 5 home 4 away games
gives you a vfl and afl champ with superbowl option

we were 3-10 in 2014....
then won 9 straight to make the finals
single most exciting season i've ever seen imo
gives a fan of a struggling club some hope

bite the bullet and have 34 games with extended lists/benches and 6 day breaks the new maximum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back