Alternative fixture idea

Remove this Banner Ad

None of those games result in anyone being knocked out though, so I don't really call it finals. The extra 5 games are still H&A games, just with added implications for finals spots.
You can not call it finals all you like. But its not home and away games either as teams have been seperated based on their home and away performance.

How stupid are people. Seriously football supporters are so dumb.

Exactly.
It would make the AFL credible and with an equal fixture.
Quality not quantity.
i don't see it.

if you play interstate 6 times against say 5 interstate teams in the 8, but another club gets 3 of them at home....it's magically equal?

anyone who thinks 17, 22 or 34 games is actually 'same for everyone' is missing the reality.
consider this year, you'd have preferred to play the tiges ANYWHERE in rd 11-13 when we were cooked than in rd 23 when we were in form

how is it equal that one team plays under the dome or in 21 degrees in qld and the next day two teams are playing in the snow?

the fixture can never be 100% fair even if we play each team twice, because the interstate teams would travel 16 times and vic teams 8

You may need to learn how to word your quotes properly.

Because this really make no sense, i think i know what you mean, but the wording is just plain stupid.
Probably want to capitalise your I if you're going to try and have a crack at someone matey. :)

None of those games result in anyone being knocked out though, so I don't really call it finals. The extra 5 games are still H&A games, just with added implications for finals spots.

So you don't consider the qualifying finals to be finals?

You have pre finals finals games that help setup the order of the finals games.

You are thinking this through from the perspective of a team thats been up the top a long time.

if you support a team where you know 1/2 way through the season that you arent making finals - this would make the season way more exiting as now you are still playing off for the final four.

Players are often playing for their future.
IMHO the bottom 10 will become a key focus for clubs on the rebuild, a measure of the coaching set up & put a sharp focus on the holes in the squad.
Not so sure about clubs that have been riddled with injury & send guys off for early surgery/max rehab - probably not in it to win it.

Draft picks based on wins doesnt do much for equalisation.

It would get a little more complicated, but not much.

Set the top 10 draft picks after the first 17 rounds, the last 8 spots are decided after the top 8 finish their finals and their draft picks are set as they are now, ie premeir gets 18, 36, 54, 72 etc

The bottom 10 could play those last rounds for starting positions in the 2nd and subsequent rounds of the draft.

ie if you're the wooden spooner, you may end up with picks 1, 28, 46, 64 etc
if you finish 9th but are a clear 9th best team, you could end up with picks 10, 19, 37, 55 etc

.......these two are both best and worst case scenarios. It could also liven up trading of draft picks and players as teams try to move up the draft order.

also when there was 12 teams and 22 rounds, equal, there were 132 games and 5-6 finals
take 18 teams and 17 rounds is 153 games plus 9 finals. not so different. (and certainly not less games to broadcast) have rolling byes to even out the season

Shorter season, shorter games, shorter quarters, shorter lists required

So you don't consider the qualifying finals to be finals?

You have pre finals finals games that help setup the order of the finals games.
The extra 5 games are still just jockeying for ladder positions, so I wouldn't consider them to be finals.

Anyway, we're arguing semantics. Call the games finals, H&A games, pre-finals finals, super-awesome power-matches, whatever, doesn't really matter. I just like the idea and how it works. It's an elegant solution to an unbalanced fixture.

17-5 initially looked good, but has more issues than the current system when trying to put it in practice

I like the OP a bit better, but would adjust the finals to 4 teams so its 17 + 7 + 2to3 rounds

once the eight has beat the 'cut' then only the points and percentage aquired among those teams makes it into the second phase.
so when they play a second time, away where they played a home game, the final table has 8 teams with 14 rounds in the table.

It might be a bit difficult to arrange equal home and away so a rolling by needs to be in there somewhere

I can see how it would be great for broadcasters: 4 cracking games each round

the other 10 would need to be a development comp with the emphasis on younger players. I don't know what it would do for state leagues like VFL though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The top 8 become the first division - they get a week off then play each other once so thats 7 games - if you had a home fixture in the first 17 its away this time and vice versa

I can see this being a problem if team in the top 8 had a favourable draw and got a lot of the rest of the top 8 at home initially. Could potentially end up with a heap of consecutive away games in this 7 game set.

I can see this being a problem if team in the top 8 had a favourable draw and got a lot of the rest of the top 8 at home initially. Could potentially end up with a heap of consecutive away games in this 7 game set.

Introducing fairness is a problem? thered be ways to ensure the draw is even.....and you'd be playing them all at home in the following season anyway

It would get a little more complicated, but not much.

Set the top 10 draft picks after the first 17 rounds, the last 8 spots are decided after the top 8 finish their finals and their draft picks are set as they are now, ie premeir gets 18, 36, 54, 72 etc

The bottom 10 could play those last rounds for starting positions in the 2nd and subsequent rounds of the draft.

ie if you're the wooden spooner, you may end up with picks 1, 28, 46, 64 etc
if you finish 9th but are a clear 9th best team, you could end up with picks 10, 19, 37, 55 etc

.......these two are both best and worst case scenarios. It could also liven up trading of draft picks and players as teams try to move up the draft order.

:thumbsu: Not knocking, just concerned how poor some clubs have gotten under the current system, how hard it is to put a competitive team on the field when list management goes wrong.

The extra 5 games are still just jockeying for ladder positions, so I wouldn't consider them to be finals.

Anyway, we're arguing semantics. Call the games finals, H&A games, pre-finals finals, super-awesome power-matches, whatever, doesn't really matter. I just like the idea and how it works. It's an elegant solution to an unbalanced fixture.

Dont follow, 2019 with a few games to go the Eagles were top 2, ended up at 5th to play finals, jockeying yes? The plus is an even comp in terms of H&A, wont even up the travel but will amongst the finalists.

That's a possibility--- Imagine the West Coast Whingers melt IF in the 7 game set they had to play away to Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sydney, GWS, Geelong, Richmond & Collingwood in 7 consecutive weeks because they originally played them at home during the 'first stage' of the season.

Introducing fairness is a problem? thered be ways to ensure the draw is even.....and you'd be playing them all at home in the following season anyway

I don't understand this. It's fairness in a holistic sense but in a circumstantial scenario it could be completely unfair.

Just a view, though. But best I not bother raising any points should I be labelled a West Coast Whinger.

That's a possibility--- Imagine the West Coast Whingers melt IF in the 7 game set they had to play away to Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sydney, GWS, Geelong, Richmond & Collingwood in 7 consecutive weeks because they originally played them at home during the 'first stage' of the season.

Strangely enough it'd be preferable to what we have currently, we'd have played these teams at home, would be the same as playing North, ...... or the Bulldogs, Adelaide, North, Melbourne, Port or .... whats the difference? Of course we'd play them away the following year too.

You really need to go back & see how the 1990s finals played out.

So Mister, is it fairer than the current FIXture?

Same thing can happen to vic clubs although statistically less likely

Its a good point and there would have to be a modifier that prevents that happening to any club especially the ones that in the first 17 games played 9 away.

id suggest looking at whos got the least away games gives up a home game - and is owed that home game the third year.

thats off the top of my head. youve brought up a really good point but.

id wonder what the likelihood of that happening is - theres 17 teams to play - what are the odds of getting all your home games making the 8?

anyone mathsy enough to figure that one?
Might ask my uncle if hes got time to nut it out - hes a jet.

So Mister, is it fairer than the current FIXture?

Any possibility where a team has to travel interstate 7 weeks in a row (outside of rare occasions like Gold Coast in 2018) is less fair than the current arrangement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back