Alternative fixture idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
What's inconsistent about it though, it's a fair system in that the best teams double up against other best teams and less against the bottom teams and vice versa which has seen teams come from the bottom to top 4 in recent years,

Richmond and Collingwood, Geelong have a 3-1-1 set up which is totally fair IMO

As for reduced season, as a fan the off season is already too long and people want to make it longer in the quest for fairness...fu** that.

Conferences would lead to same same year in year out and god forbid one conference becomes stronger than the other and an unworthy team makes finals because of it. Look at AFLW with blues and cats making finals despite winning less games than those who missed finals in the stronger group.
I don't think its a fair system at all. I don't think it has a huge impact but it intentionally puts inequities in the fixture.
They want to give good teams harder draws and poor teams easier draws. Which is fine until a poor team becomes a good team the next year and is given an easier draw than their direct competition for a premiership. Or a good team becomes a poor team the next year and is given a harder draw than their direct competition (for a spot in the 8, or for draft picks etc). This can compromise the premiership race, but it can also compromise the draft as poor teams might have their position inflated due to their easier draw, and instead of getting pick 1 or 2, they end up with pick 5 or 6 and it becomes a bit more difficult for them to climb the ladder.

It's kind of like if your tax rate for 19-20 was based on your earnings for 18-19. You could try get your contract to alternate so you earn most of your money every other year, making bulk money on a low tax rate, and then saving by earning less when you get taxed at a higher rate the next year.

I don't mind the pools in an effort to balance the fixture, there will be random inequities but at least it can be reduced compared to just doubling up against 5 teams. But designing easier or tougher draws intentionally isn't right.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
This is the best alternative. Though I think hand picking the double-ups to ensure the top teams have a harder fixture is better than pick those 4 at random.

It should be workable with two teams in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Qld as obvious double ups. I would assume Coll/Ess, Rich/Carl, Geel/Haw at this point and then a raffle of the last 4 - Melb/NM and WB/St K I guess. Every 'rivalry round' there have been teams cobbled together because they are left over.

If we end up with more teams (Tassie, NT, Qld/WA again) then we're more likely to have a 'play everyone once, H or A switches each year' type deal.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Like West Coast doubling up against Freo every year ;)

It isn't fair. But it also sort of is. The AFL will say they do it so that each WA team leaves WA 10 times. But really they do it because it generates more interest than most games in Perth.

Carlton could play Richmond twice every single year for eternity but the AFL don't care if one of those teams leaves Victoria 3 times to the other 6 or 7. They do the Rd 1 thing out of "tradition" when they mean "should get 70-80k turn up".

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Also doubling up against WCE, GWS, Adelaide, Collingwood.

Are you assuming WCE are also on the slide down?

From Richmond perspective, they are all bottom teams.
No, and mean no disrespect, just that the gimme 8 point games set in stone by the AFL should also be looked at.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Not even team playing each other once in the first 17 rounds, doesnt max the FIX. Someone makes a decision to favour one team over another & you are OK with that.
Who is getting favoured, system is much better than having the premiers double up against multiple bottom teams which is what used to happen in the past.

Or we could go back to how is was done in the past if that is your preference, take 1999 into 2000 as an example.

Richmond finished 12th out of 16 teams and were fixtured double up games for 2000 against 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th 10th, 14th and 15th.

North Melbourne who won the 1999 flag were fixtured double up games for 2000 against 5th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th and 16th

Something tells me the current system is fine because under the current system you will never see a repeat of that ^^^

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
When we have the GF location locked in, why bother trying to identify who is favoured ..... denial is the order of the day.

Thats the WHY of Kranky Als plan, transparency !!!!
There you go it's not about who plays who is it, it's about where this game gets played, it's locked in till 2050 something DEAL WITH IT.
In our 2006 flag year they beat us both times
And they beat us in the MCG in our 2017 flag year, what was that about unfair advantage, noooooo non vic teams can win games on the MCG against MCG tenants, get out of here, i keep reading from non viccos that it's impossible for non vic teams to win at the MCG.

In all seriousness, you WCE fans should be giving s**t to swans, crows and giants fans telling them " well we did it why couldn't you " but no here you are having a massive sook about where the GF gets played and who has home ground advantage..................

or does 2015 still burn you.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
There you go it's not about who plays who is it, it's about where this game gets played, it's locked in till 2050 something DEAL WITH IT.

And they beat us in the MCG in our 2017 flag year, what was that about unfair advantage, noooooo non vic teams can win games on the MCG against MCG tenants, get out of here, i keep reading from non viccos that it's impossible for non vic teams to win at the MCG.

In all seriousness, you WCE fans should be giving s**t to swans, crows and giants fans telling them " well we did it why couldn't you " but no here you are having a massive sook about where the GF gets played and who has home ground advantage..................

or does 2015 still burn you.
No the 50 odd years it got signed up to at the g burns us
But its ok dude - if you are happy that you need to cheat to win gf’s nore power to you - i guess after the long drought you dont care any more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Kranky Als plan is not a FIX, thats what makes it better.

As for the GF deal, I have absolutely NO doubt it will change, just as all other finals deals that were a hangover from the State League days have been defended by the encumbents yet slowly but surely exposed & demolished.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Kranky Als plan is not a FIX, thats what makes it better.

As for the GF deal, I have absolutely NO doubt it will change, just as all other finals deals that were a hangover from the State League days have been defended by the encumbents yet slowly but surely exposed & demolished.
Ive got to admit - im off my idea

needs a modifier for the second round to make it work as teams could conceivably travel for all 7 games

until thats sorted fairly im off it

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
No the 50 odd years it got signed up to at the g burns us
But its ok dude - if you are happy that you need to cheat to win gf’s nore power to you - i guess after the long drought you dont care any more
you do realise Richmond dont negotiate the GF venue dont you, so not sure how it's cheating...
And before you get on your high horse, I am from WA so don't cry the Vic bias bullsh!t...
You do realise, if it wasn't for Subi oval, WCE wouldn't have made half as many finals series as they have...

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
you do realise Richmond dont negotiate the GF venue dont you, so not sure how it's cheating...
And before you get on your high horse, I am from WA so don't cry the Vic bias bullsh!t...
You do realise, if it wasn't for Subi oval, WCE wouldn't have made half as many finals series as they have...
Yet they still have won 4 flags at the MCG. Next year it will be 5.

Add in Tassie.
19 teams. 18 games.
9 home. 9 away.
Alternate the following year.

22-23 rounds to give teams multiple bye rounds.

Players get more rest.
Marquee matches attract a premium for tix/TV.
Better balance all around.

2nd last round of the year is the Derby, Showdown, Q Clash and Battle of the Bridge. Tassie can play in Geelong one year, Geelong go to Tassie the following year to balance their unique home ground advantage. Final round bye goes to the lowest ranked team from the previous year. Give them an extra week to prepare.

NonVic teams will have an extra game in their state (9 home + 1 'away') in one year then have an extra trip to play in VIC in the following year.

Not perfect but as even as I can see it getting.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
a modifier, come again ....
Some fair way of running the second round so teams arent playing all games away - that also doesnt mean a team plays the same team twice that year at home.

all ive done without some modifier to account for this is exchange one unfairness for another.

i cant think of a fair way to run that second round.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back