Opinion Am I the only person digusted by this?

Remove this Banner Ad

How the first game of the season isn't the Grand Final replay is beyond a joke.
I've always said it, guaranteed a quality game with some hype around it.
GF replay isn’t guaranteed to be a quality game.

And yes that is disgraceful referring to the big hit in some kind of top 20 anticipation games.

Not sure whether it’s worth hyperventilating over.

Journalism is journalism. Promoting is promoting.

It’s all a game and an incident (relevant or not to the fans) is used to spark it up; bring some drama.

So much sensitivity and PC. If you don’t like it, just move on. 99% of 5k-10k who have read it probably don’t think much about it all.

Looking forward to when Trump rules the world and cleans up the AFL swamp

Yep particularly enjoyed it when a guy who hadn't touched a Sherrin 5 years ago tore the much vaunted backline to shreds.

NO TEAM is unbeatable and Tiggies may well have been inhaling their own and the media's balloon juice.

We've moved on mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Collingwood and Essendon have done pretty well at making this a pretty remarkable day.

Gifting Carlton the season opener every year when they are clearly the worst Victorian in the comp and will be for the forseeable future needs rectifiying more than Anzac Day imo.
Take ur hand off it. I'm sure it would be an awesome day regardless. The teams don't make it great. A GF replay would be ideal.

Don't reply if ur bias prevents you from discussing logic.

I think there is something to be said for the first game of the year being the grand final replay at the winners home ground, with the unfurling if the flag. Anzac day would be good too, but not as salty as you wouldn't get the flag bit!
First game is a good idea but why watch both team again? Last then first? I think the anticipation would be great if done after a few rounds.

Would be good to see them and any changes. First games are usually a bit sloppy. By ANZAC day they would all be pretty into it and a much better contest.

Also, the new players traded in would start to find their feet and get into the new systems and game plans.

Would be a huge day.

Take ur hand off it. I'm sure it would be an awesome day regardless. The teams don't make it great. A GF replay would be ideal.

Don't reply if ur bias prevents you from discussing logic.

Of course the teams play a role and make it great; particularly in the early days when it was re-launched.

Just look at the Good Friday game. Poor crowd and poor specatacle. If 2 big, rival clubs had played, they would have had at least 50% more at the game. It would have been far better promoted leading up to it as well.

Of course the teams play a role and make it great; particularly in the early days when it was re-launched.

Just look at the Good Friday game. Poor crowd and poor specatacle. If 2 big, rival clubs had played, they would have had at least 50% more at the game. It would have been far better promoted leading up to it as well.

Why the need to manufacture big games?

Why not just have a fair draw so the teams which earn their spot in the 8 get to play in the Finals?

Every time the AFL cherry picks a game for a specific date the game suffers.

And yes, this includes Easter Monday.

Good Friday is a bad comparison. Many people travelling, spending time with family, celebrating Easter, relaxing, etc. No wonder crowds are low.

Good Friday is a bad comparison. Many people travelling, spending time with family, celebrating Easter, relaxing, etc. No wonder crowds are low.

I bet if Collingwood v Essendon on Good Friday, it will draw a much better crowd. The game is one thing, but you also need clubs who understand how to hype it leading to game day.

Incidentally, I believe prior to Anzac Day being resurrected by Sheeds, it had been canned in the mid 80s due to low crowds.

Sheeds without doubt understood how to market a game. He also found a reason to involve the Pies and not St Kilda, Roos etc etc. Having another big name club with a rivalry was the best way to maximise the event.

Yep the hard work was done by these two clubs. I’m sure now other clubs can ride on the coat tales. But Essendon v Collingwood made it what it is today and deserve to continue to be involved in it.

Why have the Hawks and Roos got a mortgage on Tassie? Kennett would throw a fit if the AFL brought other clubs into Tassie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back