Opinion Am I the only person digusted by this?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The 22 games you won't want to miss in 2019 - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-01/the-22-games-you-wont-want-to-miss-in-2019

In round 16 it promotes our game against the Lions as a "renewal of hostiities between Harris Andrew's and Jeremy Cameron".

I dont want to re-open wounds with Lion's fans. I do think it's disgraceful to use a horrific incdent to promote a game. Incredibly dissrespectful to Andrew's who spent days in hospital with bleeding in the brain.

There's a journalist who should be seriously considering a different career path in my view.

Last edited:

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The 22 games you won't want to miss in 2019 - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-01/the-22-games-you-wont-want-to-miss-in-2019

In round 16 it promotes our game against the Lions as a "renewal of hostiities between Harris Andrew's and Jeremy Cameron.

I dont want to re-open wounds with Lion's fans. I do think it's disgraceful to use a horrific incdent to promote a game. Incredibly dissrespectful to Andrew's who spent days in hospital with bleeding in the brain.

There's a journalist who should be seriously considering a different career path in my view.

Agree, that is ridiculous. These so called journo's forget most people have lives and could not give one rats a-hole. Once the ball is bounced its a game of footy and thats it.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Im more disgusted that the opening game of the 2019 season is Richmond v Carlton.

How about a genuine blockbuster game to kick off the season in style?

How the first game of the season isn't the Grand Final replay is beyond a joke.
I've always said it, guaranteed a quality game with some hype around it.

Yeah that is pretty s**t.
AFL can't have it both ways, if they want to make the game safe and not promote violence then they need to start with how the report on that stuff

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
The reality is these incidents add interest and fuel to the next game. It may not be classy but its good advertising and you can guarantee the level of interest in GWS vs Brisbane is vastly higher than it would have been without that incident. I can't find it in myself to be indignant about them using a real event that happened to trump up some interest.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
GF replay should be ANZAC blockbuster every year.

Really? Collingwood and Essendon have done pretty well at making this a pretty remarkable day.

Gifting Carlton the season opener every year when they are clearly the worst Victorian in the comp and will be for the forseeable future needs rectifiying more than Anzac Day imo.

They did the same type of thing with Ziebells hit on Joseph. Gave him a 4 week suspension or whatever it was but then used the same hit in their promo videos.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
It's certainly in very poor taste. They were also promoting that Gaff versus Freo would be his second game back.

It does strike me as pretty hypocritical as well.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
How the first game of the season isn't the Grand Final replay is beyond a joke.
I've always said it, guaranteed a quality game with some hype around it.

Think about it. Do you really want to see that game played with shocking preseason skills? And why waste a blockbuster game for opening game? Footy fans would watch GC v Carlton if it was the opening game, purely because it was the opening game.

TimothyJ23

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Think about it. Do you really want to see that game played with shocking preseason skills? And why waste a blockbuster game for opening game? Footy fans would watch GC v Carlton if it was the opening game, purely because it was the opening game.
Precisely. This debate is ages old - never waste a blockbuster on opening weekend when the thirst for footy is high. Give the fans any footy and they'll lap it up.

Back