Amateur Optometry - Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood is no angel and like lots of players who are competitive beasts, he sometimes crosses the line. This wasn’t really one of those occasions and yes, it deserved a fine but that’s all. I understand Selwood gets people riled up but there is still a need for a balanced view.
No angel? What do you mean?

Hitting a bloke in the head thats being held down, scragging at his eyes, and stomping on the leg of an opponent have always been important and admired parts of our game. They show real toughness and should probably be rewarded.

Glad you are here to provide this balanced view you speak of. Thanks for setting the masses straight.

Hitting a bloke in the head thats being held down, scragging at his eyes, and stomping on the leg of an opponent have always been important and admired parts of our game. They show real toughness and should probably be rewarded.

Glad you are here to provide this balanced view you speak of. Thanks for setting the masses straight.

So many drama Queen’s. You would make a good actress.

Happy to be of help!
Am moving on now though. I thought it was worth a fine, you appear to disagree. The MRO apparently saw it like I did. That’s it.

Oh good. Another unbiased and balanced view here to talk down the issue.

I think nearly all, including myself, cats fans think it was dumb, but most think the reporting of eye gauging is ridiculous and the manner with which Dales sprung up and didn’t even reach for any part of his face at any stage suggests the contact was insufficient... what is wrong with that?
In all seriousness do you think it was worth one week? Two weeks? Or you just want to whinge?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think nearly all, including myself, cats fans think it was dumb, but most think the reporting of eye gauging is ridiculous and the manner with which Dales sprung up and didn’t even reach for any part of his face at any stage suggests the contact was insufficient... what is wrong with that?
In all seriousness do you think it was worth one week? Two weeks? Or you just want to whinge?

I mentioned 3 ugly things he did, and you have purely focused on whether his victim reached for his eyes or not.

If you are basing it purely on reaction, why don't you think worse of his leg stomping? Or is that an over reaction? if so, how much is the perfect amount to react to a dog act? No reaction? Medium reaction? Big reaction? Or you just want to whinge about people having an opinion on your brave leader?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many of my posts show I overreact and hate the guy?

Show me them.

It would probably be the bit where you said he scragged at Dale’s eyes. Use yours and you’ll see it didn’t happen. Perfectly fine with you labelling Selwood a grub/dog and expressing that opinion, but you don’t need to make things up.

The footage speaks for itself; a unnecessary little closed fist jab to the head of a guy with his arms pinned and then another half jab/half push of his head into the turf. Surely, that’s enough to form a view that it was a pretty ordinary act.

In regards to punishment, this has been done to death. The AFL rarely suspend players for this and almost all other misconduct charges. Hate the system, not the player. There’s no special Joel Selwood discount. If you want to start a thread about the AFL properly punishing these acts, then go right ahead. You’d have many that would support you, myself included. But don’t come here and express ridiculous outrage that a player got a punishment that falls directly in line with the overwhelming majority of punishments for this type of action.

I mentioned 3 ugly things he did, and you have purely focused on whether his victim reached for his eyes or not.

If you are basing it purely on reaction, why don't you think worse of his leg stomping? Or is that an over reaction? if so, how much is the perfect amount to react to a dog act? No reaction? Medium reaction? Big reaction? Or you just want to whinge about people having an opinion on your brave leader?

I spoke of that one because that’s the only one that was worth taking about, the others were definitely not worth a report, again due to insufficient force. My brave leader what the hell are you talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The "stomp" looked accidental, from the distance of my lounge. Dale didnt react like Marcus when he was gouged by Toby, so I was happy enough with fines
Agreed, though suspending Selwood for what he did to Dale should be a suspension in the scheme of things, The facts are it's not, and to suspend him for that despite others getting off would not be right. But the AFL is not about consistency anyway.

If Deliberate "accidental" fists around the head area were cause for suspension there wouldnt be a defender left in the game.

And if that's a "grub" act, I recommend not watching any footage of people full-blown punching Lockett in the back of the head. Guys like Frawley, SOS, it was just the done thing, and still is to an extent.

A few other posters have said it here and in other threads - this is an unnecessary act that has been established as a fine because the AFL have been weak at punishing it. Greene got fined $7.5k for the fairly egregious Bontempelli "face-touching" and only got suspended when he tried something similar the next week and the AFL were under pressure to do something. There have been many other incidents with less high profile players that get passed off as fines and "shouldn't really do it, he'll know better next time, white line fever blah blah blah".

Bottom line is if you want to eradicate something from the game you outlaw it and punish appropriately, and ride out the wave of media and supporter discontent at how the game's not how it used to be until it's established. If you don't like sniper punches or even jabs to the body behind play - warn the players at the start of the year that it's two weeks minimum no matter what, stick to your guns and by about round 5 nobody will be doing it. If you don't like the "face-massage" (what a ******* stupid euphemism that is for grabbing at a defenceless guy's face) - then do the same. Two weeks no argument.

The AFL have embedded the result of the action within the grading of the offence, which is a ridiculous approach if you're trying to actually stamp out the actions themselves. This then ends up with them tying themselves in knots trying to punish the Mackay bump because Clark broke his jaw.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd feel much better served as a supporter (and I imagine as a player whose arms are held in with my head on the ground while another player tries to grab at my face) if the Clark injury was cited as an accidental collision in a contact sport, and any face grab when the ball is out of range was punished with a mandatory two weeks. Ditto for stupid off the ball punches or whatever else you want to get out of the game.

A few other posters have said it here and in other threads - this is an unnecessary act that has been established as a fine because the AFL have been weak at punishing it. Greene got fined $7.5k for the fairly egregious Bontempelli "face-touching" and only got suspended when he tried something similar the next week and the AFL were under pressure to do something. There have been many other incidents with less high profile players that get passed off as fines and "shouldn't really do it, he'll know better next time, white line fever blah blah blah".

Bottom line is if you want to eradicate something from the game you outlaw it and punish appropriately, and ride out the wave of media and supporter discontent at how the game's not how it used to be until it's established. If you don't like sniper punches or even jabs to the body behind play - warn the players at the start of the year that it's two weeks minimum no matter what, stick to your guns and by about round 5 nobody will be doing it. If you don't like the "face-massage" (what a ******* stupid euphemism that is for grabbing at a defenceless guy's face) - then do the same. Two weeks no argument.

The AFL have embedded the result of the action within the grading of the offence, which is a ridiculous approach if you're trying to actually stamp out the actions themselves. This then ends up with them tying themselves in knots trying to punish the Mackay bump because Clark broke his jaw.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd feel much better served as a supporter (and I imagine as a player whose arms are held in with my head on the ground while another player tries to grab at my face) if the Clark injury was cited as an accidental collision in a contact sport, and any face grab when the ball is out of range was punished with a mandatory two weeks. Ditto for stupid off the ball punches or whatever else you want to get out of the game.
Agreed. Toby Greene is up to +/-$30,000 in fines, mostly in the $1,000 to $2,000 range. This is a guy earning close to a million dollars every year. Fines don’t work. Start hitting him with 2 match suspensions and he’ll stop pretty quick I reckon. Or make the fines meaningful.

I know it is a while ago, but how is this different to Chris Judd's pressure points incident.

The footage looks reasonably similar to me.

Judd got 3 weeks for it. Surely this is worth a minimum of 1, if not 2? It's an ugly incident, outside the play, involving dangerous contact to the face however you slice it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back