Amateur Optometry - Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it is a while ago, but how is this different to Chris Judd's pressure points incident.

The footage looks reasonably similar to me.

Judd got 3 weeks for it. Surely this is worth a minimum of 1, if not 2? It's an ugly incident, outside the play, involving dangerous contact to the face however you slice it

Might need a refresher mate. Where does Selwood attempt to scoop the eyeball out like Judd? When you show me, I’ll be on board.

Might need a refresher mate. Where does Selwood attempt to scoop the eyeball out like Judd? When you show me, I’ll be on board.

Right here, in this clip. I thought that was common knowledge and the point of this thread?

Right here, in this clip. I thought that was common knowledge and the point of this thread?

Can you show me where Joel extends his fingers into Dale’s eye sockets? Also show me where he positions his thumb on Dale’s temple while his fingers scragg over the eyes of Dale? TIA. I mean honestly, watch the footage.

After such a vicious attack, I imagine Bailey Dale would have been furious with the treatment he received. And his team-mates - I'm guessing they remonstrated strongly with his attacker. That all happened, right?

Look, I get that it was a grubby act, and when someone like Selwood does it, it's bound to cause a bit of a pile-on. Fair enough, but maybe stick to the facts. Hands on his face, yes. Eye-gouging, no.

Can you show me where Joel extends his fingers into Dale’s eye sockets? Also show me where he positions his thumb on Dale’s temple while his fingers scragg over the eyes of Dale? TIA. I mean honestly, watch the footage.

Good lord. Are you really trying to argue semantics around thumb positioning to justify a bloke gouging the face of an opponent.

"No, it's completely ok because he didn't EXTEND his fingers fully." Come on.

You can argue the Judd incident is worse, and Judd also had the balls to admit wrongdoing (and copped 100 slow-mo replays from 100 angles before the next ball was bounced), while Selwood, his coach and all his media mates want to talk this down.

Good lord. Are you really trying to argue semantics around thumb positioning to justify a bloke gouging the face of an opponent.

"No, it's completely ok because he didn't EXTEND his fingers fully." Come on.

You can argue the Judd incident is worse, and Judd also had the balls to admit wrongdoing (and copped 100 slow-mo replays from 100 angles before the next ball was bounced), while Selwood, his coach and all his media mates want to talk this down.

Semantics? You know someone can make unnecessary contact to another’s face without eye gouging them? So any contact to the face is an eye gouge attempt? Is there levels of striking or is a Gaff punch the same as Toby Greene’s on the weekend? Don’t give me Semantics and try and tell me that one is worse than the other. They are both off the ball strikes. FMD.

After such a vicious attack, I imagine Bailey Dale would have been furious with the treatment he received. And his team-mates - I'm guessing they remonstrated strongly with his attacker. That all happened, right?

Look, I get that it was a grubby act, and when someone like Selwood does it, it's bound to cause a bit of a pile-on. Fair enough, but maybe stick to the facts. Hands on his face, yes. Eye-gouging, no.

After such a vicious attack, I imagine Michael Rischitelli would have been furious with the treatment he received. And his team-mates - I'm guessing htey remonstrated strongly with his attacker. That all happened, right?

Ummm.. nope. Rischitelli got up and trotted off. Daniel Rich pushed Judd off and the players had pretty standard argy-bargy. Pretty similar situation.

The Judd incident was probably worse, not helped by a million different slow-mo and camera angles. But they're in the same ballpark.

Just seems odd to me that Judd copped 3 weeks and Selwood gets off - particularly when this is a second offence for Selwood for the same thing

For the intellectuals in this thread.

First line, the tearing of the eye using fingers. It’s hard to use them to tear at eyes when they are clenched and balled up as Selwood’s are. Hopefully, this clears up the notion that this was an ‘eye gouge’. Amazingly, that picture shows the hand in a similar fashion to Judd’s. Unbelievable, hey?

Semantics? You know someone can make unnecessary contact to another’s face without eye gouging them? So any contact to the face is an eye gouge attempt? Is there levels of striking or is a Gaff punch the same as Toby Greene’s on the weekend? Don’t give me Semantics and try and tell me that one is worse than the other. They are both off the ball strikes. FMD.

Yep, and Judd was also suspended for 'unnecessary contact with the face', denied eye gouging, and denied making contact with the eye. His hands look 'off' for the eye in the footage (unless you maybe count his pinky) and Rischitelli got up and trotted off without even rubbing his eyes.

I just don't know how these can be considered so drastically different. In the second Selwood incident on the weekend, his opponent clearly copped something in the eye (although in that case it was more a rake of the face). But for both of them:
- they both went back to the player to initiate contact
- they both made unnecessary and unreasonable contact to the face
- both players denied eye gouging
- both receipients got up with pretty much no fuss and carried on
- both players had previously been cited and fined for the same charge

Somehow, there is a vastly different penalty applied. 3 weeks vs nothing is huge.

Yep, and Judd was also suspended for 'unnecessary contact with the face', denied eye gouging, and denied making contact with the eye. His hands look 'off' for the eye in the footage (unless you maybe count his pinky) and Rischitelli got up and trotted off without even rubbing his eyes.

I just don't know how these can be considered so drastically different. In the second Selwood incident on the weekend, his opponent clearly copped something in the eye (although in that case it was more a rake of the face). But for both of them:
- they both went back to the player to initiate contact
- they both made unnecessary and unreasonable contact to the face
- both players denied eye gouging
- both receipients got up with pretty much no fuss and carried on
- both players had previously been cited and fined for the same charge

Somehow, there is a vastly different penalty applied. 3 weeks vs nothing is huge.

Who’s using semantics now? Just by the pure optics, Judd’s incident looks a hell of a lot worse. Also, even Toby Greene on Bont was cleared of eye gouging.

Perhaps it’s quite a difficult charge to prove for the AFL and one that doesn’t crop up too often.

In any event, I feel comfortable in saying Selwood never rakes the face. In fact most of/if not all the contact is with the palm of his hand. I think there is significant difference between the two and the footage shows this and the penalties reflect this. I think you’d have a stronger argument for a comparable punishment if you compared the Judd incident with Greene’s on Bont. Perhaps we’ll leave it at that 👍

After such a vicious attack, I imagine Michael Rischitelli would have been furious with the treatment he received. And his team-mates - I'm guessing htey remonstrated strongly with his attacker. That all happened, right?

Ummm.. nope. Rischitelli got up and trotted off. Daniel Rich pushed Judd off and the players had pretty standard argy-bargy. Pretty similar situation.

The Judd incident was probably worse, not helped by a million different slow-mo and camera angles. But they're in the same ballpark.

Just seems odd to me that Judd copped 3 weeks and Selwood gets off - particularly when this is a second offence for Selwood for the same thing
Seems odd???. Selwood could have taken an axe to him and the MRP would be nothing to see here.....but mckay goes for the ball using the very technique players are taught and a football collision occurs then the AFL try and manufacture a way to rub him out. Favorites much

On review, 2 things. Joel stuck his hand into 2 faces on the weekend, not just Bailey Dale, he also poked Doc in the eye, as a result Doc didnt see that Joel was looking at the ump when he stepped on Docs leg, Doc thought it was deliberate and reacted, fair enough. On screen that looked like an accident

The deliberate face massage is something that needs to be ruled out of the game, Joels was probably less egregious than Tobys on Bont a couple years back, but the fact he went in for it as part of a second effort is unacceptable, Bailey was tackled, pinned down and then Joel goes in for a cheeky little face massage. Surely the League learnt something from the blow back against Toby? No? Maybe coz it was Joel and stephen hocking has some degree of input? As General manager of football ops?

Hocking may very well put up a chinese wall whenever it comes to the cats but perception is everything. In this case it could be construed that a Geelong connected individual (Hocking) had some input into the decision to go easy on the Cats skipper.

This is exactly the sort of situation where Christian needs to take an opportunity to demonstrate impartiality and suspend Joel, set the example that needs to be set to stamp this s**t out of the game, and demonstrate AFL impartiality. Christian has backed himself into a corner now, he cant suspend anybody for the rest of the season who goes in for a secondary face massage, unless an eye pops of course. Stupid.

And cats fans ramping up to automatically defend Joel, please note I havent described either situation as an eye gouge. Focusing on the Bailey Dale one, Intentional (he went in as a second action after the tackle was complete), High Contact (hand in the face), Low Impact (Bailey didnt seem damaged by it) = 1 week.

My previous comment that a fine was about right was based on the Toby incident. That would have been Intential, High, Medium based on outcome (Bont squinting, couldnt see clearly, scratched face etc) = 2 weeks but got a fine.

AFL needs to decide, do we want this in our game? If they dont they need to start suspending high profile players, like Joel. Opportunity missed, Christians reputation for going soft on the Cats is enhanced and face massaging will continue.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On review, 2 things. Joel stuck his hand into 2 faces on the weekend, not just Bailey Dale, he also poked Doc in the eye, as a result Doc didnt see that Joel was looking at the ump when he stepped on Docs leg, Doc thought it was deliberate and reacted, fair enough. On screen that looked like an accident

The deliberate face massage is something that needs to be ruled out of the game, Joels was probably less egregious than Tobys on Bont a couple years back, but the fact he went in for it as part of a second effort is unacceptable, Bailey was tackled, pinned down and then Joel goes in for a cheeky little face massage. Surely the League learnt something from the blow back against Toby? No? Maybe coz it was Joel and Michael Christian was making the call?

Perception is everything. In this case it looks like a Geelong connected individual (Christian) decided to go easy on the Cats skipper.

This is exactly the sort of situation where Christian needs to take an opportunity to demonstrate impartiality and suspend Joel, set the example that needs to be set to stamp this sh*t out of the game, and prove impartiality. Christian has backed himself into a corner now, he cant suspend anybody for the rest of the season who goes in for a secondary face massage, unless an eye pops of course. Stupid.

And cats fans ramping up to automatically defend Joel, please note I havent described either situation as an eye gouge. Focusing on the Bailey Dale one, Intentional (he went in as a second action after the tackle was complete), High Contact (hand in the face), Low Impact (Bailey didnt seem damaged by it) = 1 week.

My previous comment that a fine was about right was based on the Toby incident. That would have been Intential, High, Medium based on outcome (Bont squinting, couldnt see clearly, scratched face etc) = 2 weeks but got a fine.

AFL needs to decide, do we want this in our game? If they dont they need to start suspending high profile players, like Joel. Opportunity missed, Christians reputation for going soft on the Cats is enhanced and face massaging will continue.
Let's not forget Selwood making unnecessary contact with Baker's face in the Grand Final. I think it's the repeat efforts of Selwood that gets the reaction from fans, and then then the repeat efforts of the commentators and MRP to not deal with it.

Joel is a nice country boy from a stable family, one of four brothers to play at the highest level. Overcame a serious knee injury in junior football to become a part of the Geelong dynasty, having an impact from his first season. Multiple AAs. Brownlow votes galore. Speaks well, always happy to present... the media love that stuff. Cf Toby Greene.

The deliberate face massage is something that needs to be ruled out of the game, Joels was probably less egregious than Tobys on Bont a couple years back, but the fact he went in for it as part of a second effort is unacceptable, Bailey was tackled, pinned down and then Joel goes in for a cheeky little face massage. Surely the League learnt something from the blow back against Toby? No? Maybe coz it was Joel and Michael Christian was making the call?

Perception is everything. In this case it looks like a Geelong connected individual (Christian) decided to go easy on the Cats skipper.

This is exactly the sort of situation where Christian needs to take an opportunity to demonstrate impartiality and suspend Joel, set the example that needs to be set to stamp this sh*t out of the game, and prove impartiality. Christian has backed himself into a corner now, he cant suspend anybody for the rest of the season who goes in for a secondary face massage, unless an eye pops of course. Stupid.

lol Where'd you get the idea that Michael Christian is "Geelong connected"? Maybe as a step ladder for Ablett Snr during the 90s? Agree with you otherwise that fines are a stupid way of trying to deal with indiscretions like this on the field. Would have been happier for someone like Lynch to be made the example of earlier this year than Selwood, but I'm biased.

lol Where'd you get the idea that Michael Christian is "Geelong connected"? Maybe as a step ladder for Ablett Snr during the 90s? Agree with you otherwise that fines are a stupid way of trying to deal with indiscretions like this on the field. Would have been happier for someone like Lynch to be made the example of earlier this year than Selwood, but I'm biased.
Sorry my bad, I was mixing him and stephen hocking up. Fair call.

Only one question needs to be asked,
What was Selwood trying to do rubbing his hands across the face of an opponent lying underneath him?
Pretty sure he wasn't shooing a fly away or cleaning mud off him.

Only one question needs to be asked,
What was Selwood trying to do rubbing his hands across the face of an opponent lying underneath him?
Pretty sure he wasn't shooing a fly away or cleaning mud off him.
He didn't rake the face his second action appeared to be for the ball - probably to hide his first action.

What surprise’s me most is that a handbagger shows aggression … they usually like the softly softly style … ain’t called Handbaggers for no reason 👛🐱

Remove this Banner Ad

Back