Sports Amateur Spots Clubs - Getting too serious, or nah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who told you to rock up in team gear? That's the sort of thing I'm getting at here more than individual try hards.

One of my mates played D grade cricket summer before last. Training was two nights a week but entirely optional, no real obligations. After matches some of the team had drinks, some didn't. Most the team turned up for matches most weekends. The only club function they had was an end of season one. I would've thought most amatuer clubs would've been like this.

Who told you to rock up in team gear? That's the sort of thing I'm getting at here more than individual try hards.
Club president through our Facebook page. He also didn't wear club gear.
Not sure I'd want to join a local club that has a season launch in the first place.
Cheap beers at the pub that sponsors us. Pretty good night.

On this, I saw a few years ago the VFL players rocking up in slacks and suit shoes.
Likewise Seville players in the YVMDFL.

I thought footy was supposed to be a beer, trackies and runners environment and not akin to a gala.
At least that what it was when I watched bits of it as a kid/teenager.

European soccer clubs have shitloads of kids in trials and academies because they basically don't have to pay them unless they're good enough to still be there at 18. There's no salary cap or draft and the Premier League or local equivalent doesn't do player development for them like the AFL here.

I don't mind players having to dress smart on game day or whatever but I think having to wear club colours and shirts and the like definitely borders on delusional.

After the game though is definitely trackies though.

Sent from mTalk

I don't mind players having to dress smart on game day or whatever but I think having to wear club colours and shirts and the like definitely borders on delusional.

After the game though is definitely trackies though.

Sent from mTalk
Part of it is, especially in the VAFA, that selling merchandise is a way for the club to make money. So if everybody is rocking up in team gear, they have to have bought team gear at one point and injected some extra cash into the club.

I've got no issue with it, it's about helping the club out and making sure it's there for future generations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, sounds great in theory, but some of that money would be going toward buying new players.
Not for us down in Div 3, but in Premier A and B definitely. For us it goes towards having Gatorade during games, having enough strapping tape to last the season, and if we're lucky buying a few new footies.

A lot of people at footy clubs tend to presume that just because you're there to have a kick, have some competition, run around and have a laugh with a few guys but not stay for a shitty sloppy lasagna and can of goat's piss for $25 means you're a weird campaigner. I dunno but there's a culture of insecurity whereby if you aren't sucking up to the coach, or being laaaaads with everyone, then you're odd.

I played one season of footy in that sort of atmosphere when I was 18, and I liked it because I caught up with a mate who went to a different uni and there were a couple of dudes who were funny bastards and we all used to try and hang around the same cones and that sort. But as soon as they announced the teams on Thursday I'd walk home or me and my mate would drive back and have beers at a pub ourselves. I didn't really feel very included outside of that group within the first few weeks so I didn't bother standing around or trying ultra hard to be one of the lads because I just wasn't. Some bloke still wearing his East Freo development singlet who was so thick his broadest education was knowing the difference between a drop punt and a drop kick telling everyone about 'some ****' and governing the chat during stretches wasn't like... that funny.

Really shat me, that whole in or out culture. Usually driven by some short arse bloke who only started playing the game when he was 20 and hasn't missed a ressies game for nearly 18 seasons and his only trips away have been to Margs or Bali for footy trips.
Thankfully my club isn't one of those. Know exactly what you mean though. I pretty much didn't see a good mate for our entire first year of uni because he was always at some club function or piss up involving his footy team. They were all drug fiends too and he isn't, so I really don't get what the big attraction was.

I've got plenty of good mates where I play thankfully but even still I'm glad the club functions are kept to a minimum. I don't want to be spending every Saturday night drinking with 50 year old parents and supporters with nothing better to do and being in the presence of those one or two flog players that have nothing else going on in their lives and really get on the nerves of you and your mates.

Anytime I've been at a footy function things start to get strange once plenty of alcohol has been consumed. Suddenly you and your mates are trying to shake the tag of some odd 30 year old seniors player who decides that he wants to head out with players a decade or more younger than him.

I'm glad I've got that choice to finish footy by midday Saturday and do whatever I want for the rest of the day/night without being judged if I don't drink with the "boys".

Someone mentioned season launches and boy what a weird concept they are. I made the mistake of going to one in my first year (it was alcohol free too). The very definition of being far too serious. This year they're serving alcohol but I still won't be going. Have a good mates 21st on the same night and I couldn't believe it on the weekend when some blokes I knew told me that they'd probably try to make it to a bit of the launch. Party versus amateur footy club season launch has to be the easiest decision of all time. To me at least....

Last edited:
The day clubs started filming every game , using editing suites for DVDs and online sales , as well as for training purposes was the day they lost me.

My former club are using drones now apparently to analyse drills, stoppages, setups etc. Would hate for a rogue footy to hit it

My former club are using drones now apparently to analyse drills, stoppages, setups etc. Would hate for a rogue footy to hit it
See this is going too far imo. Playing div 5 there is no need to see bald spots or fat guts bounce from a different angle :p

I've filmed social sport before. From the sideline with a smartphone while off having a drink of water.

**** legitimately filming a whole game for training purposes. Who trains for social sport?

Thing is there is a difference now between “social sport” (which I class as mid-week indoor soccer, basketball, tennis etc) and weekend sport which can see people getting paid upwards of $1000 a game to play. If the resources are there (I.e. the league bankrolls the filming of each seniors game each week) then why not take advantage of that and further your skills.

Thing is there is a difference now between “social sport” (which I class as mid-week indoor soccer, basketball, tennis etc) and weekend sport which can see people getting paid upwards of $1000 a game to play. If the resources are there (I.e. the league bankrolls the filming of each seniors game each week) then why not take advantage of that and further your skills.

I think there's a limit. If someone wants to film country games or A grade ammos or whatever then good for them, but anything below that standard and you're probably kidding yourself. If you're running around in suburban D-grade somewhere you don't need a GPS tracker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back