Amazing coincidences in football

Remove this Banner Ad

In each of the Bulldogs' last three finals, the following all happened:

• They kicked exactly 11 behinds
  • A player lined up for goal on or after the siren
  • They kicked exactly four goals in the final quarter

This one occurred to me recently. I thought it might only apply to the AFL era but I looked it up and it goes back much further. I'm not sure if it constitutes an "amazing coincidence" :$ so you be the judge -

In the last forty years every time Hawthorn has made the GF in the next year they either make the GF again OR are winless in September. No in between. The 1977 team is the last group that won a final but didn't make the GF after contesting the previous year's GF.

1978 flag. 1979 missed finals.

1983-89 GFs. 1990 first week elimination.

1991 flag. 1992 first week elimination.

2008 flag. 2009 missed finals

2012-15 GFs. 2016 no finals wins.

I would go for

EPL - Leicester city win first title despite all odds
NBA - Cleveland win after coming back 3-0 in the finals and first title for that city in 50ish years
AFL - Dogs win flag after 60 years of pain and beating the odds
Nrl - can the sharks win their first title

2016 is year of the underdog

Wait for the Chicago Cubs, it'll be massive

I would go for

EPL - Leicester city win first title despite all odds
NBA - Cleveland win after coming back 3-0 in the finals and first title for that city in 50ish years
AFL - Dogs win flag after 60 years of pain and beating the odds
Nrl - can the sharks win their first title

2016 is year of the underdog
WAFL - Peel Thunder (4th) win their first title, upsetting the minor Premiers Subiaco
NEAFL - GWS' reserves (2nd) win their first title, upsetting the minor Premiers Sydney Swans reserves
SANFL - Sturt win (3rd), upsetting the minor Premiers Woodville West-Torrens Eagles.
VFL - Footscray win, upsetting the minor Premiers Casey

NRL under 20s - Sydney Roosters win (7th), beating minor Premiers Penrith Panthers after trailing by 22 points at half time.

So many upsets this year in sport.

WAFL - Peel Thunder (4th) win their first title, upsetting the minor Premiers Subiaco
NEAFL - GWS' reserves (2nd) win their first title, upsetting the minor Premiers Sydney Swans reserves
SANFL - Sturt win (3rd), upsetting the minor Premiers Woodville West-Torrens Eagles.
VFL - Footscray win, upsetting the minor Premiers Casey

NRL under 20s - Sydney Roosters win (7th), beating minor Premiers Penrith Panthers after trailing by 22 points at half time.

So many upsets this year in sport.

Western bulldogs, won the flag after beating the minor premiers.
Cronulla, won the flag after beating, you guessed it, the minor premiers

Bad year to finish on top it seems

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It took me quite a while to go through the stats to find something but this is the best I could come up with. (its pretty good)

In recent history (1950s onwards), Consider every time Richmond has played Hawthorn in the second half of a 22 game season.

2013 - R19 Won. Hawthorn won flag.
2009 - R21 Lost. Hawthorn didn't win flag.
2008 - R20 Won. Hawthorn won flag.

There are quite a few other ones beyond the 90s but who can be bothered these days

Also, can someone please pm me once this post gets to 100 likes? cheers mate.
Can you guys just keep losing to them please?

There are some interesting parallels between Western Bulldogs' quarter by quarter scores in their preliminary final and the grand final this season.

Preliminary 2.3 (15), 6.5 (41), 9.6 (60), 13.11 (89)
Grand final 2.0 (12), 7.1 (43), 9.7 (61), 13.11 (89)

The quarter time scores have a three points differential, the half time scores have a two point differential, there is one point separating the three quarter time scores, with scores then being dead even at the end.
I'm quoting this from another thread, I thought it was interesting.

Last night, Hugh Mcluggage got drafted by Brisbane at pick 3. He didn't look too impressed by it. Coincidence?

Next year, Lions have Ports round 1 pick, and its looking likely too be a top 5.

Coincidence?

On Saturday June 25th 2016 the following matches were scheduled in these leagues:

AFL - Richmond Tigers vs. Brisbane Lions
VFL - Werribee Tigers vs. Coburg Lions
WAFL - Claremont Tigers vs. Subiaco Lions

Unfortunately, there was no SANFL match between the Glenelg Tigers and South Adelaide Panthers that day, and after the departures of Quenabeyan and Labrador (both Tigers) and Broadbeach Cats from the NEAFL, the only feline team left in this league is the Brisbane Lions Reserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back