Amazing coincidences in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Williams was a very busy man in 2004.

He lead the goal-kicking for Hawthorn, coached Port Adelaide Power to the AFL premiership and also coached the Sandringham Zebras to the VFL flag.

He'd've also been promoting The Prisoner of Azkaban.

West Coast's first game was against Richmond
Fremantle's first game was also against Richmond
West Coast's first finals win was against Melbourne
Fremantle's first finals win was against Melbourne

West Coast's first Grand Final was against Hawthorn
Fremantle's first Grand Final was against Hawthorn

So close...
VFL 2008 - Coburg 27.16 (178) defeats Geelong 16.7 (103)
VFL 2009 - Coburg 27.16 (178) defeats Geelong 16.8 (104)

Last edited:
VFL 2008 - Coburg 27.16 (178) defeats Geelong 16.7 (103)
VFL 2009 - Coburg 27.16 (178) defeats Geelong 16.8 (104)

maxwell_smart.jpg

If only one of those Geelong points in 2009 went out on the full...
Not to mention both games were at Coburg Oval, and the first game was in round 1, 2008 and the second was in round 2, 2009 (just one round apart!). So that was almost the same score, same teams, same round, same location, two years in a row

If only one of those Geelong points in 2009 went out on the full...
Not to mention both games were at Coburg Oval, and the first game was in round 1, 2008 and the second was in round 2, 2009 (just one round apart!). So that was almost the same score, same teams, same round, same location, two years in a row

It’s a miss by one coincidence

A South Australian named Jack Trengove playing for a Victorian club at the same time as a Victorian named Jack (okay Jackson) Trengove was playing for a South Australian club. Then I think they switched to clubs back to their respective home states in the same season.

It wasn't exactly Josh Kennedy, Mitch Brown or Nathan Brown: having two Jack Trengoves (as far as I'm aware not even distant relations) in the league at the same time has always seemed to be a pretty strange coincidence to me, let alone the other stuff.

Hardly an amazing coincidence, but a quirky trend I thought was worthy of a mention regarding ANZAC Day winners from recent years:

2006: Collingwood
2007: Collingwood
2008: Collingwood

2009: Essendon

2010: Collingwood
2011: Collingwood
2012: Collingwood

2013: Essendon

2014: Collingwood
2015: Collingwood
2016: Collingwood

2017: Essendon

2018: Collingwood
2019: Collingwood

F*** this COVID-19 bullsh*t robbing us of another ANZAC Day win :'(

A South Australian named Jack Trengove playing for a Victorian club at the same time as a Victorian named Jack (okay Jackson) Trengove was playing for a South Australian club. Then I think they switched to clubs back to their respective home states in the same season.

It wasn't exactly Josh Kennedy, Mitch Brown or Nathan Brown: having two Jack Trengoves (as far as I'm aware not even distant relations) in the league at the same time has always seemed to be a pretty strange coincidence to me, let alone the other stuff.
Didn’t Richmond once have a Ben Holland and a Ben Hollands on the same list in the late 90’s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 1963 Geelong played Hawthorn in three successive matches:
- Round 18 (last home and away round)
- Second Semi Final
- Grand Final

Geelong also won all three. Perhaps this was an early forerunner of the 'Kennett Curse'.

By an amazing co-incidence, the then Hawthorn President, Mr Sandy Ferguson, had (allegedly) accused the Cats of 'lacking mental toughness' after a game between the two teams in 1962.

The Brisbane Bears and the Brisbane Lions both have the same lowest score ever of 2.5-17.

Why the Brisbane Bears scored 2.5-17 was understandable. It was a cold and windy day in the middle of winter at Princes Park against Hawthorn in 1988, played in teeming rain from opening bounce to final siren, with the ground a mudheap, one wing resembling a lake.

The Brisbane Lions scored 2.5-17 against Richmond at the MCG on a fine and sunny autumn day and a good playing surface in 2018. And while the 2018 Lions were not a good team by any stretch, they were an improving team, one far better than the dismal seasons of 2015, 2016 & 2017.

The Brisbane Bears and the Brisbane Lions both have the same lowest score ever of 2.5-17.

Why the Brisbane Bears scored 2.5-17 was understandable. It was a cold and windy day in the middle of winter at Princes Park against Hawthorn in 1988, played in teeming rain from opening bounce to final siren, with the ground a mudheap, one wing resembling a lake.

The Brisbane Lions scored 2.5-17 against Richmond at the MCG on a fine and sunny autumn day and a good playing surface in 2018. And while the 2018 Lions were not a good team by any stretch, they were an improving team, one far better than the dismal seasons of 2015, 2016 & 2017.

What's amazing about these 2 games is that the Richmond game happened 30 years after the Hawks game and Richmond's score was 30 points more than Hawthorn's.

In 1963 Geelong played Hawthorn in three successive matches:
- Round 18 (last home and away round)
- Second Semi Final
- Grand Final

Geelong also won all three. Perhaps this was an early forerunner of the 'Kennett Curse'.

By an amazing co-incidence, the then Hawthorn President, Mr Sandy Ferguson, had (allegedly) accused the Cats of 'lacking mental toughness' after a game between the two teams in 1962.
And since then Geelong have only won three grand finals, I think he was right about Geelong lacking mental toughness

Halley’s Comet passed the Earth’s vicinity twice in the 20th Century - 1910 and 1986.

Carlton lost the Grand Final in both years - 1910 to Collingwood, and 1986 to Hawthorn.

Pencil Carlton in to lose the 2061 Grand Final.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back