Amazing coincidences in football

Remove this Banner Ad

A strange thing happened to the Swans in R4-R5 2021.

In R4 Sydney 11.17 (83) defeated Essendon 12.8 (80).

In R5 GWS 9.17 (71) defeated Sydney 10.9 (69).

They won in R4 as the side kicking fewer goals and then a week later they lost as the team kicking more goals.
And in both games the winning team kicked 17 behinds

I think you are the one doing that. I've clearly pointed out existing coincidences. This is not a banter page bro.
The fact that something may happen is not a coincidence, and it certainly isn't an "amazing" coincidence.

The fact the Bulldogs are currently 5-0 and play Essendon in round 21 is a mute point. This thread is not about potential amazing coincidences, which is what your posts represents.

Also, 2021 is a 23 round season, so for this to turn out to be an amazing coincidence, the Bulldogs would actually have to play Essendon in round 22. I.e. They will have played 19 games before playing Essendon this year, meaning if they were to win every game between now and then, they would be 19-0 before facing Essendon. Essendon were 20-0 in 2000 before they lost to the Bulldogs.

Perhaps you should think about things more before posting.

The fact that something may happen is not a coincidence, and it certainly isn't an "amazing" coincidence.

The fact the Bulldogs are currently 5-0 and play Essendon in round 21 is a mute point. This thread is not about potential amazing coincidences, which is what your posts represents.

Also, 2021 is a 23 round season, so for this to turn out to be an amazing coincidence, the Bulldogs would actually have to play Essendon in round 22. I.e. They will have played 19 games before playing Essendon this year, meaning if they were to win every game between now and then, they would be 19-0 before facing Essendon. Essendon were 20-0 in 2000 before they lost to the Bulldogs.

Perhaps you should think about things more before posting.
Obviously you have the Bulldogs blinkers on. If you can't see the existing and potential coincidences, then cool. That's all I pointed out.

Obviously you have the Bulldogs blinkers on. If you can't see the existing and potential coincidences, then cool. That's all I pointed out.
It can't be a coincidence because the Bulldogs and Bombers don't play each other in the penultimate round, so the consistently with Essendon losing their 21st match of the season against the Bulldogs in 2000 (the penultimate round) isn't present.

Mind blown by the freakish nature of the past page
OMG OMG OMG what about this coincidence?

Essendon won the premiership in 2000 and played the Bulldogs in the penultimate round of the Home and Away season.
Bulldogs won the premiership in 2016 and played Essendon in the penultimate round of the Home and Away season.

Amazing. Mind blown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood Def WC in 2020 Elim final

Collingwood get smashed by Geelong in 2020 semi final

WC def Coll in round 5 2021

WC get smashed by Geelong in round 6 2021
Have you given up already? Still enough time for the Eagles to win.

This is the third consecutive round where a team has won having kicked fewer goals:

Round 4: Sydney (v Essendon)
Round 5: GWS (v Sydney)
Round 6 Hawthorn (v Adelaide)

I don't suppose it's the first time it's happened, but it can't be something that happens too often.

Essendon winning on ANZAC Day every 4 years is still going strong

I went hunting for any other Anzac Day oddities, particularly amongst the rest of the clubs. Nothing I'd consider truly amazing, but anyway:
  • The first VFL football played on April 25th was in 1914. There wouldn't be another game played on this date until 1960.
  • 25/04/1914 saw the first two matches played that day end in a draw. There's only been one draw since.
  • Port are now 3-0.
  • Curiously, Freo have the second best winning record (73%) of the established teams (GWS 1-0,) and from a decent enough sample size of 11 games too.
  • Contrasted with West Coast who have only played on this date twice. Both times against Hawthorn
  • St Kilda have now lost their past 9 games to fall on this date. Not won since 1985.
  • This was Adelaide's first game on the date since 1999. Melbourne now inherit the longest run without (since 2003, which should stand for a long time if they keep up the eve clash with Richmond.)

Last edited:
I went hunting for any other Anzac Day oddities, particularly amongst the rest of the clubs. Nothing I'd consider truly amazing, but anyway:
  • The first VFL football played on April 25th was in 1914. There wouldn't be another game played on this date until 1960.
  • 25/04/1914 saw the first two matches played that day end in a draw. There's only been one draw since.
  • Port are now 3-0.
  • Curiously, Freo have the second best winning record (73%) of the established teams (GWS 1-0,) and from a decent enough sample size of 11 games too.
  • Contrasted with West Coast who have only played on this date twice. Both times against Hawthorn
  • St Kilda have now lost their past 9 games to fall on this date. Not won since 1985.
  • This was Adelaide's first game on the date since 1999. Melbourne now inherit the longest run without (since 2003, which should stand for a long time if they keep up the eve clash with Richmond.)
Good spot!
Mostly in the early decades the VFL wouldn’t start until early May or a date in April after the 25th.
It’s also weird how few Saturday’s fell within the VFL calendar that were April 25.
Sat 25/04/1914 - but this was before the First World War began. Full round.
Sat 25/04/53 - the VFL held a bye round
Sat 25/04/59 - another bye.
That’s all the Saturday April 25 within the VFL calendar in the first 64 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back