Amazing coincidences in football

Remove this Banner Ad

1974 become a Tiger supporter because of a t-shirt of a a tiger i had with me from Sweden (moved to Oz 1973).

1981 secretly started to support Fitzroy. Lions made the finals (but still went to all Tigers home games and VFL Park).

1982 moved to Sydney (as a Tiger supporter) clapping for the Swans. Tigers last hurrah for a while.

1984 with my favorite player KB retired went full time Swans (but secretly still Lions). Swans suddenly become good.

1989 moved to Sweden and footy was lost. A expensive English newspaper I could see the previous week results.

1993 started the first footy club in Sweden. Members voted for the St.Kilda jumper :p

1995 went for a winter holiday in Melbourne. Tigers make finals for the first time since 82.

2017 at the start of the I became a Richmond member for the first time (International) and watched all their games (AFL Watch)

Am I the Tigers good luck charm, or am I just a coincidence?

North Melbourne have a terrible year in 1972, finishing with the spoon with a 1-21 record. They then in a coup recruit 'Supercoach' Ron Barrassi.

2022, 50 years later North win the spoon, albeit with a 2-20 record. But they again in a coup recruit the 4-time Premiership coach in Alastair Clarkson.

Just need a new '10-year rule' to make it more coincidental.

While the West Coast Eagles last three premierships in 1994, 2006 and 2018 have all come exactly 12 years apart, in each season Melbourne was eliminated from the finals race in a match played in Perth.

In 1994 and 2018 the Eagles defeated Demons in a Preliminary Final to progress to the Grand Final, while in 2006 the Dees lost to the Fremantle Dockers in a Semi-Final. Interestingly all three Demon finals defeats took place at different Perth venues - the WACA in 1994, Subiaco Oval in 2006 and the new Optus Stadium in 2018.

Melbourne won it’s first VFL/AFL flag by shocking favorite Fitzroy in the 1900 Grand Final.

Melbourne won it’s first AFLW flag by shocking favorite Brisbane in the 2022 Grand Final.

And both matches were decided by 4 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2006 Sydney lose Grand final, Socceroos advance to Round of 16 in World Cup
2022 Sydney lose Grand Final, Socceroos advance to Round of 16 in World Cup

2006 Socceroos lose in Round of 16 to eventual World Cup champions - Italy
2022 Socceroos lose in Round of 16 to eventual World Cup champions - Argentina

AFL investigate in May 2007 why vic clubs are not competitive and the dominance of non-vic clubs, “It’s more then cyclical” (extracted quote)

Vic clubs have won 14 of 16 since the review.
Coincidence?…..

In 1885 the VFA expanded to a 10-team League by letting in Richmond and University.

Richmond first game in the VFA was May 2 1885.

In 1908 the VFL expand to a 10 team League by letting in Richmond vs University.

Richmond first game in the VFL was May 2 1908.

I’d guess University also debuted on the same exact days.

Geelong and Melbourne have never met in a VFL-AFL GF despite both teams being there from 1897 and participating in many GFs.

However they have just missed each other by one year several times.

In 1925 Geelong played Collingwood and in 1926 Melbourne played Collingwood.

In 1953 Geelong played Collingwood and then in 1954 Melbourne played the Bulldogs.

In 1963 Geelong played Hawthorn and then in 1964 Melbourne played Collingwood.

In 1988 Melbourne played Hawthorn and in 1989 Geelong played Hawthorn.

In 2020 Geelong played Richmond and in 2021 Melbourne will play the Bulldogs.

Somewhat bizarre factoid IMO - from 1951 until 1964 Geelong or Melbourne contested 12 out of the 14 GFs but never against each other.

Also Geelong in the 1950s did what I assume no other team has done in the one decade - they acquired back-to-back flags (in 1951/2) AND back-to-back wooden spoons (in 1957/8). Richmond in the 1980s is perhaps slightly similar - flag in 1980, GF in 1982 and wooden spoons in 1987 and 1989.

Again in 2022 Geelong and Melbourne played in neighbouring GFs.

Also Geelong and Sydney had the habit of just missing each other in GFs in the AFL era until meeting in 2022: Geelong v Carlton in 1995 followed by Sydney playing North, Sydney v WCE in 2006 before Geelong v Port and then a year after Geelong v Collingwood 2011 the Swans played Hawthorn.

Also Hawthorn and Collingwood have never met in a GF but have been very close many times: 2011/2012, 1989/90/91, 1976/77/78/79, 1970/71, 1963/64 and 1960/61.

Last edited:
Nothing amazing in this post but just a few things that are slightly interesting about the 2022 GF. Enjoy.

The phrase “twenty thirteen“ has some significance for Isaac Smith as 2013 was the year of his first premiership and 20.13 was his team’s score in his most recent premiership.

Also regarding Izzy he became just the second Cat Norm Smith medal winner to have played at another club (after Gary Snr in 1989). Both players came from Hawthorn. The only Cats who won the NSM and left to represent another team, Chapman and SJ, had the common characteristic of having been Collingwood supporters.

Two things occurred for just the second time ever in the 2022 GF after Hawthorn players were the first to do it. Patrick Dangerfield became just the second player to hit 300 games before winning a flag after Crawford did it in 2008; coincidentally against Geelong. Joel Selwood became just the second player to win a flag beyond his 350th game after Michael Tuck, who amazingly managed to do it thrice; the second of those was against Geelong in 1989.

Irish imports Tuohy and O’Connor played in a flag making them the only such players to do so aside from Kennelly in 2005 thus all Gaelic players who have won premierships have done so either with or against the Swans.

In the first quarter with Geelong on 31 points Gryan Miers has a quick snap that goes through for a point to make the team’s score match his jumper number and a few minutes later with the Cats on 39 points Zach Guthrie does the opposite and kicks a behind that causes the GFC score to no longer match his jumper number.

The phrase “twenty thirteen“ has some significance for Isaac Smith as 2013 was the year of his first premiership and 20.13 was his team’s score in his most recent premiership.
2013 saw the government changed from Labor to Coalition
2022 saw the government changed from Coalition to Labor

1910 Edward VII died and was succeded by George V, Collingwood won the Grand Final
1936 George V died and was succeeded by Edward VIII, Collingwood won the Grand Final, the first and only premiership under the regin of Edward VIII who abdicated in December that year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back