Analysis Amazon's AFL series: Title, release date revealed for seven-part doco

Remove this Banner Ad

Hugh Rimington... what a campaigner
One thing that struck with me and it's not having solely a go at this production as they touched on it briefly but they're all part of the same hyprocity.
But the Ccj/Stack breach along with the Dimma/Rimington stouch and the no show of the Lynch & Port kid touching moment pretty much sums up whats important in the media these days.

One thing that struck with me and it's not having solely a go at this production as they touched on it briefly but they're all part of the same hyprocity.
But the Ccj/Stack breach along with the Dimma/Rimington stouch and the no show of the Lynch & Port kid touching moment pretty much sums up whats important in the media these days.

you might have noticed that the character "Lynch" did not appear in this season

Kiwi just casually dropping bombs in this thread.

Give us more...

I was hanging off every word Dimma and Co said, they really made for good viewing and how simple coaching can be when people have 100% faith and trust in the leaders of the club. Just wow.

Cameron on the other hand, just wow. I just don't think people/players react to that style of coaching anymore. I can't imagine they saw it much during the 2019 year with the wins they had, so it was a real insight to what he must actually be like. The GF from 2019 seems to make sense as well, all the way down to Phil Davis playing injured.

Peggy's kept this article from May 28, 2014.

1615762389163.png

Lloyd wrong to point finger at Tiger president

THE Tigers may need some tough love but what they don’t need is a blabbermouth president.

Someone else who may need to make amends is former Essendon great Matthew Lloyd.

Now, I’m a big fan of Lloyd’s — he’s developed into a confident, assured commentator. But his comments about Richmond president Peggy O’Neal were ill-timed and ill-thought-out.

He started something of a sideline frenzy, carried on by others, questioning why the recently appointed Tiger chief wasn’t getting out there explaining herself and the club, and reassuring anxious fans that all was well when it clearly wasn’t. But he went further.

“What does she bring to the table that makes her a great president?’’ he asked. Before posing a question like that, he should have done his homework.
While she’s been in the job for only eight months, her credentials have been well documented and, really, they’re not all that different from many other presidents before her.

Significant legal, corporate and board experience with several years on the Richmond board under her belt. And, as she herself pointed out while batting away the obvious implication that the only reason the question was posed was because she was a woman, it was a question that insulted the rest of the directors around the table who had demonstrated their faith in electing her.

And I can hardly imagine it would have been asked of a newly installed male who had also chosen to take a measured approach to the media feeding frenzy. In fact, I can think of many over the years who preferred not to make the game about themselves and provide a running commentary at every turn. David Smorgon at the Doggies, Frank Costa at the Cats.

Larger-than-life, highly vocal presidents can be a godsend for a club ... but they have their downside too. Charismatic presidents like Eddie McGuire and Jeff Kennett can become the story themselves and a distraction for the players and club executives.

McGuire’s unfortunate comments about Adam Goodes were raised again just this week, months after the furore, when former Pies coach Mick Malthouse took a veiled swipe at the way that incident was handled by the AFL community.

When Kennett was in charge at Hawthorn, the club was forever putting out spot fires because he was prone to planting his foot firmly in his mouth, something that became a source of running tension between the president and coach Alistair Clarkson.
Not the least of those incidents was the “Kennett Curse”, when he declared the Cats didn’t have the mental toughness to beat the Hawks. It took five years to shake off!

Some of the most effective presidents have been quiet achievers and it’s perfectly reasonable for Peggy O’Neal to fashion herself on that model.
WHEN she did speak in a measured, calm interview on radio she provided some reassurance for fans and rejected any knee-jerk reaction like sacking the coach a few months into an extended contract.

“One of the things that good clubs do is they remain stable, they continue to question themselves, but if you’re always looking to make drastic changes, you’re always starting over ... you don’t build great teams by starting over all the time,” she told SEN.

And CEO Brendon Gale was also at pains to point out that it was the football department that had to provide answers to the perplexing form slump, not the president.

And it’s not that O’Neal and the rest of the board are ignoring the signs and football boss Dan Richardson has been charged with the job of finding answers. That’s what good governance boards do: they don’t meddle where they don’t have real expertise.

Pulling closely together and internally going through the rigorous process of asking the right questions will always yield the better outcome.
Beverley O’Connor is Herald Sun columnist. Twitter @bevvo14

View attachment 1077508

THE Tigers may need some tough love but what they don’t need is a blabbermouth president.

Someone else who may need to make amends is former Essendon great Matthew Lloyd.

Now, I’m a big fan of Lloyd’s — he’s developed into a confident, assured commentator. But his comments about Richmond president Peggy O’Neal were ill-timed and ill-thought-out.

He started something of a sideline frenzy, carried on by others, questioning why the recently appointed Tiger chief wasn’t getting out there explaining herself and the club, and reassuring anxious fans that all was well when it clearly wasn’t. But he went further.

“What does she bring to the table that makes her a great president?’’ he asked. Before posing a question like that, he should have done his homework.
While she’s been in the job for only eight months, her credentials have been well documented and, really, they’re not all that different from many other presidents before her.

Significant legal, corporate and board experience with several years on the Richmond board under her belt. And, as she herself pointed out while batting away the obvious implication that the only reason the question was posed was because she was a woman, it was a question that insulted the rest of the directors around the table who had demonstrated their faith in electing her.

And I can hardly imagine it would have been asked of a newly installed male who had also chosen to take a measured approach to the media feeding frenzy. In fact, I can think of many over the years who preferred not to make the game about themselves and provide a running commentary at every turn. David Smorgon at the Doggies, Frank Costa at the Cats.

Larger-than-life, highly vocal presidents can be a godsend for a club ... but they have their downside too. Charismatic presidents like Eddie McGuire and Jeff Kennett can become the story themselves and a distraction for the players and club executives.

McGuire’s unfortunate comments about Adam Goodes were raised again just this week, months after the furore, when former Pies coach Mick Malthouse took a veiled swipe at the way that incident was handled by the AFL community.

When Kennett was in charge at Hawthorn, the club was forever putting out spot fires because he was prone to planting his foot firmly in his mouth, something that became a source of running tension between the president and coach Alistair Clarkson.
Not the least of those incidents was the “Kennett Curse”, when he declared the Cats didn’t have the mental toughness to beat the Hawks. It took five years to shake off!

Some of the most effective presidents have been quiet achievers and it’s perfectly reasonable for Peggy O’Neal to fashion herself on that model.
WHEN she did speak in a measured, calm interview on radio she provided some reassurance for fans and rejected any knee-jerk reaction like sacking the coach a few months into an extended contract.

“One of the things that good clubs do is they remain stable, they continue to question themselves, but if you’re always looking to make drastic changes, you’re always starting over ... you don’t build great teams by starting over all the time,” she told SEN.

And CEO Brendon Gale was also at pains to point out that it was the football department that had to provide answers to the perplexing form slump, not the president.

And it’s not that O’Neal and the rest of the board are ignoring the signs and football boss Dan Richardson has been charged with the job of finding answers. That’s what good governance boards do: they don’t meddle where they don’t have real expertise.

Pulling closely together and internally going through the rigorous process of asking the right questions will always yield the better outcome.
“What does she bring to the table that makes her a great president?’’
3 flags in 4 years. Financially the club is well and truly in the black. 100,000 plus members.
Lloyd is a dickhead.

View attachment 1077508

Great spot

View attachment 1077508

That's brilliant. Good eyes.

Haven't seen all of the GWS exchanges.
Sounds like Cameron covers his own b#tt not prepared to go the extra yards for Coniglio.
A team requires total commitment.
In terms of Sloane, noticed back in 2017, a skilful player for sure but does not have the ruthless feared quality of a couple of the Crows at their peak era, Ricciuto and earlier McGuinness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hanging off every word Dimma and Co said, they really made for good viewing and how simple coaching can be when people have 100% faith and trust in the leaders of the club. Just wow.

Cameron on the other hand, just wow. I just don't think people/players react to that style of coaching anymore. I can't imagine they saw it much during the 2019 year with the wins they had, so it was a real insight to what he must actually be like. The GF from 2019 seems to make sense as well, all the way down to Phil Davis playing injured.

How they made the Granny was ridiculous in itself and says a lot about the Dogs, Lions and Pies.

They were s**t in the 2nd half of the year. They were 5-6, including scoring 29 points vs Hawks. Their wins were against the Roos, Swans (2 points), power (1point), Suns and Magpies. So only one top 8 side and two of the wins they fell over the line.

Not once in any of the footage of other clubs did they look at their coach the way we did. ******* love this club.

laptops f’ed at the moment, but I'm working on cutting all the Richmond bits together.
Absolutely.
I thought the bond between Dimma and players was so strong. I knew we were a tight group but not that tight.

Also thought the messages coming from Dimma were so clear compared to the other coaches. Players were given a problem but then the solution to deal with it. No wonder our boys go into a game knowing their exact role
Leon Cameron on the other hand....

Geelong dodged a bullet. 2 of the teams we broke were featured in this.

We could have had Leon and Chris and Rory's friend Tex all crying in their beer at the end

Leon: They're a good side aren't they.

Chris: They’re a good team but they’re beatable.

Tex:

81864157.jpg

I'm halfway through the series but i'll touch on my thoughts.

What a souless franchise GWS are and this series really backs up why they don't have a proper culture.

It starts off with a club veteran in Heath Shaw talking about what it means to have gone through 16 pre seasons and acknowledging this will be his last year of footy.
He gets emotional over the thought of it and tears up talking about it. By the time he finishes about 2-3 players go to him while the rest piss off and go and do their own thing. He may be disliked but for someone to put themselves out there in front of playing group you can spend the 5 seconds and pat the guy on the back ffs. You look at a club like Richmond and they literally got around each other once we reached 100k members.

Leon Cameron...I thought he would be a good 'thinker' as he was always an extremely smart player but at the same time i've heard mumours of the playing group hating his guts at the end of 2020 and this series clearly shows this. Whenever he talks the playing group was completely disengaged with what he was saying and you can tell they don't respect him. I'm not going to discount selective editing but they were even occasions where he had the moment to say the right thing to support Cogs or the playing group and he butchers it or doesn't deliver the message correctly.

Example - Heaping on a lot of pressure on his leaders but saying it needs to come from you rather than suggesting it would be great to have this delivered as a leader of playing group, they would really embrace your initiative rather than it coming from the coaches.
Cogs' form slump saying to the entire playing he will rise to the top rah rah rah when you really just need to say get the little things right, support your leader and the rest will take care of yourself. You could feel the weight of the world on Cogs' shoulders.

You could tell Cogs isn't 100% invested in being the captain of the club and he's just been lumped with it. It's hard for the playing group to buy into his messages when you can tell Cogs isn't even convinced himself when he's saying it.
It's probably been edited out but there didn't appear to be too many snippets showing any support to him from the rest of the leadership group.

Even during recovery sessions in the pool they just didn't seem like a happy playing group whereas Richmond made a conscious effort to reverse that type of vibe between 16 & 17 and you can witness how much success the morale has helped flow on to the rest of the operations at the club.
To me people management is so so important in any organisation and you rarely see success or strong performances in an unhappy workplace.

On the contrary I'm extremely impressed with Stuey Dew. GC ****ed up royally when they got Rocket Eade on board and would've berated his players and knocked the wind out of the sails of the whole club.
Dew comes across as extremely caring, positive and focus' on the key things like effort, intensity and ticker and they slowly work on the other teething issues while they develop.
He gives the playing group a bake when it's needed but doesn't overplay his hand when he can see that the efforts are there.
He will make an exceptional leader at the Suns and will certainly leave the whole club in a far better state than the one he arrived in.

The AFL learned some lessons from the Suns experiment and applied it to the Giants. Suns were the real waste of money ~ zero success. The Giants have managed it all quite well, using Sheedy, the new stadium, playing list etc and they've managed to keep trading and drafting very well. Peaking so far with a G/final appearance. Which gave them a lot of cred in NSW. They manage to lose the likes of Cameron & Williams but still got a v/good 22. Their academy is good, got a womens team. I've got no idea if they can turn it around. 2020 was annus horriblus for a lot of clubs.
RFC is fortunate we don't need money but lots clubs do to get an 18 team comp running

Despite making a Grand Final less than 18 months ago, GWS are worse placed for future success now than the Suns.

So finished watching, and the following are my take-outs of those featured

- Eddie Betts. Great man, family man, and genuinely caring man. It's great he wants to make a stand in the community against racism, but I don't think he can mentally cope with the overbearing pressure of it all, which makes it more impressive that he continually strives to do so. I am left wondering what Eddie will do after footy though.

- Nic Nat. I'm left 50/50. I want to like him, but then he acts like an arrogant knob. And I've played with blokes like him, and you love them on your team, but generally dislike them when they are not. But he comes across closer to a sore loser than fierce competitor, but its a fine line. I am impressed with his connection to family though. I also think Adam Simpsons attitude was a massive reason WC were sh*t in the hubs, you could tell he didn't want to be there and sooked regularly.

- Stewy Dew. He is just a people person. He will connect with those young kids up there and he will take them a long way. I think he's passionate without being to emotional/reactive too much of the time, but for a young coach, i think he will improve there. His messaging is really impressive IMO

- Cogs. Classic case of best player not being the best leader. He just doesn't have the "public speaking" type presence and thats even among his own group. His not sold on the own words coming out of his mouth let alone those he's trying to convince. I feel a little sorry for him, as there appears to be little support for him

- Liam Cameron. I'm surprised and disappointed TBH. He actually comes across as a Damir Dokic type sports parent who only ever focusses on the negatives, rather than the positives. And when he tries, it comes across as sh!t on a stick rolled in sprinkles, it's still sh!t. Granted I do hold reservations around editing on these pieces, as a negative view generally follows a negative outcome

- Rory Sloan. He can walk into our footy club any day he wants. Outstanding. He just cares, and that's the first thing anyone can ask IMO. And to be honest, given the hardest circumstances of being a first year coach with a team of selfish individuals, I was actually impressed by Nicks.

Who have I missed?

Great summary - nailed it. :thumbsu:

I'd add the scenes with Peggy and Gale as a highlight - your Admin is every bit as strong as your coaching and playing group - respect.
The input from Malcolm Speed on the zoom calls also reinforced how much depth you have at Board level.
You are the benchmark , hope we can have another crack at you in the big one this season ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back