Society/Culture Amen and Awomen

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
There's a few articles and a video on this, I picked one that highlighted the complete stupidity of it though.

I'm not sure if you'd call it political correctness gone made, gender inclusive language completely botched, ridiculous virtue signalling, high-jacking of language, just plain stupidity or something else.

Either way, one of the most ridiculous examples I've seen of people finding a problem/solution where there isn't one.

It’s just a silly thing a limited number of people would have suggested.

Ben Shapiro (a person who fits into “most ridiculous example” category himself) uses that to pump out another whinge to get the culture warriors hyped up and clicking his links.

There's a few articles and a video on this, I picked one that highlighted the complete stupidity of it though.

I'm not sure if you'd call it political correctness gone made, gender inclusive language completely botched, ridiculous virtue signalling, high-jacking of language, just plain stupidity or something else.

Either way, one of the most ridiculous examples I've seen of people finding a problem/solution where there isn't one.
If its personally not effecting you, why do you give a s**t? Let people do what they want and stop trying to control people

Ben Shapiro (a person who fits into “most ridiculous example” category himself) uses that to pump out another whinge to get the culture warriors hyped up and clicking his links.
There were dozens of articles after a quick google search, that was the first or second one so its not just a Shapiro whinge.

Why doesn’t he mock them for praying to a non-existent being?
There's plenty of mocking of that around. But that's a strawman response to this. Lots of places to rag on religion, this is a different issue with a Hebrew word not associated with gender. Ignore it's Shapiro because there's a lot of people who have called this out.

If its personally not effecting you, why do you give a sh*t? Let people do what they want and stop trying to control people
Why discuss any issue at all then? And I'd argue this sort of stuff effects us all to a degree. The use of language and different ideologies shape the society and culture I live in. This sort of rubbish is spreading and there are more examples of this sort of stuff weekly.

Why discuss any issue at all then? And I'd argue this sort of stuff effects us all to a degree. The use of language and different ideologies shape the society and culture I live in. This sort of rubbish is spreading and there are more examples of this sort of stuff weekly.
use of language is often evolving so rapidly after 10-20 years, You wouldnt notice the english language 1000 years ago, we talked like weirdo's to out parents, our parents talked weirdly to our parents,

It honestly is stupid but doesnt really need to have time devoted to saying how stupid it is, Im still weirded out people say Amen after s**t and thats more concerning to me then pronouns

use of language is often evolving so rapidly after 10-20 years, You wouldnt notice the english language 1000 years ago, we talked like weirdo's to out parents, our parents talked weirdly to our parents,

It honestly is stupid but doesnt really need to have time devoted to saying how stupid it is, Im still weirded out people say Amen after sh*t and thats more concerning to me then pronouns
This isn't language evolving, this is attaching an ideology or gender politicisation to a non gendered word.

Why do you think they've attached gender to a non-gender word?

Would they change the word specimen to specimen/speciwomen? Omen to Owomen? Abdomen to abdowomen?

There's no gender association to the word, its just ridiculous virtue signalling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awomen is just plain silly. Amen is a loan word which was used a positive affirmation - much like we'd say agreed, totally, absolutely, spot on or some such expression to indicate we agree with what was just said. It has nothing to do with the English meaning of the syllable "men". It just happens to sound the same because it is a short simple syllable.

But... isn't that the whole point?
Where necessary yes, but this is attaching gender to a word that has nothing to do with gender. It's a step backwards, not forwards.

To use an example from before, replacing the syntax of "men" where its not tied to gender isn't solving a problem or evolving language. Using the word owomen instead of omen isn't evolving language. Using the term craftsman or craftswoman might be language evolving, because there is a gender association there.

Awomen is just plain silly. Amen is a loan word which was used a positive affirmation - much like we'd say agreed, totally, absolutely, spot on or some such expression to indicate we agree with what was just said. It has nothing to do with the English meaning of the syllable "men". It just happens to sound the same because it is a short simple syllable.
Basically this. Its nonsensical, it makes as much sense as replacing every sequence of man or men ending words with women, if there's no gender association to the word it adds no value. It's just stupidity.

Where necessary yes, but this is attaching gender to a word that has nothing to do with gender. It's a step backwards, not forwards.

To use an example from before, replacing the syntax of "men" where its not tied to gender isn't solving a problem or evolving language.

Proof for that statement please. How (for example) is it not evolving language? Isn't that the whole point?

What's your thoughts on 'manhole' or 'man-eating-shark' or 'man-at-arms' or 'batsman'? Or even just the use of 'man' as the denonym of the human species?

Those ones are more clear cut right?

I know many actresses that hate the term 'actress'. They're an actor.

The issue here (as I see it) isnt with 'amen' specifically; its with the English Language (and yes, it's a Hebrew word, but it's been co-opted into English) having a lot of problems with gender and possessives. For example, 'his', 'hers' and... 'theirs' or 'he', 'she' and 'they'. This phenomena then extends on to professions with feminine forms of the same word (actor and actress etc).

See also how the historical linguistic norm for when talking about a person whose gender is unspecified to default to the male. Because we dont have a gender neutral term in English to use.

It's a similar and even more entrenched phenomenon with Romantic languages, where they gender objects (a table or a beer is female, a pen is male etc) which even alters the conjunctive that proceeds the object.

We're ultimately discussing linguistics here, but the argument does go beyond mere semantics or symbolism.

Proof for that statement please. How (for example) is it not evolving language? Isn't that the whole point?

What's your thoughts on 'manhole' or 'man-eating-shark' or 'man-at-arms' or 'batsman'? Or even just the use of 'man' as the denonym of the human species?

Those ones are more clear cut right?

I know many actresses that hate the term 'actress'. They're an actor.

The issue here (as I see it) isnt with 'amen' specifically; its with the English Language (and yes, it's a Hebrew word, but it's been co-opted into English) having a lot of problems with gender and possessives. For example, 'his', 'hers' and... 'theirs' or 'he', 'she' and 'they'. This phenomena then extends on to professions with feminine forms of the same word (actor and actress etc).

See also how the historical linguistic norm for when talking about a person whose gender is unspecified to default to the male. Because we dont have a gender neutral term in English to use.

It's a similar and even more entrenched phenomenon with Romantic languages, where they gender objects (a table or a beer is female, a pen is male etc) which even alters the conjunctive that proceeds the object.

We're ultimately discussing linguistics here, but the argument does go beyond mere semantics or symbolism.
Doubleplus ungood.

I dunno how you can look at this, but focus on the person that calls it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back