Society/Culture Amen and Awomen

Remove this Banner Ad

Refer to your mum and sister as “parent” and “sibling”.

Aha, I agree, so why would we need to change the wording in the first place? Seeing how that seems to be the proposal by this Cleaver person.

On Sunday, January 3, Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO) led the opening prayer for the U.S. House of Representatives.

Cleaver, an ordained Methodist pastor who served for 37 years as the senior pastor of St. James United Methodist Church in Kansas City, Missouri, ended his prayer asking for peace in the legislative chamber, “in the name of the monotheistic God, Brahma, and God known by many names by many different faiths. Amen and a-women.”

Not really practical is it.

Aha, I agree, so why would we need to change the wording in the first place? Seeing how that seems to be the proposal by this Cleaver person.

On Sunday, January 3, Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO) led the opening prayer for the U.S. House of Representatives.

Cleaver, an ordained Methodist pastor who served for 37 years as the senior pastor of St. James United Methodist Church in Kansas City, Missouri, ended his prayer asking for peace in the legislative chamber, “in the name of the monotheistic God, Brahma, and God known by many names by many different faiths. Amen and a-women.”

Not really practical is it.

Good thing Cleaver Green didn't come up with this idea.

There's a few articles and a video on this, I picked one that highlighted the complete stupidity of it though.

I'm not sure if you'd call it political correctness gone made, gender inclusive language completely botched, ridiculous virtue signalling, high-jacking of language, just plain stupidity or something else.

Either way, one of the most ridiculous examples I've seen of people finding a problem/solution where there isn't one.

'Amen' is most likely a Hebrew word that is genderless. Same with 'hallelujah' I think.

like a lot of discussions in this forum, most people generally agree a-women is silly but the difference in opinion is really about whether something needs doing about it.

a-women is an absolutely comical attempt at equality. it's awkward and takes too much work to deliver. it's not cool to reel off, like people who have built their identities with descriptors related to gender or sexuality. this is gender equality as a dad joke.
those who regularly deliver amen's probably aren't the type to start delivering awomen's. i can't see it taking off.

is it a portent of other attempts at changing language, for better or worse? that already happens. i do have doubts about the appetite of society to deal with it the more it incurs into everyday conventions and is not just something someone said at church once.

like a lot of discussions in this forum, most people generally agree a-women is silly but the difference in opinion is really about whether something needs doing about it.

a-women is an absolutely comical attempt at equality. it's awkward and takes too much work to deliver. it's not cool to reel off, like people who have built their identities with descriptors related to gender or sexuality. this is gender equality as a dad joke.
those who regularly deliver amen's probably aren't the type to start delivering awomen's. i can't see it taking off.

is it a portent of other attempts at changing language, for better or worse? that already happens. i do have doubts about the appetite of society to deal with it the more it incurs into everyday conventions and is not just something someone said at church once.
A-women on its own is very silly idea which is pretty harmless.

Out of the same Hymn book so to speak is the 100 plus genders and growing, gender is a social construct idea and the attack of males which is more dangerous.

Getting rid of the terms of father and mother for parent is just rubbish and social engineering by Marxists who play the role of social justice warriors.

Yes, their are issues for trans people and for people who are not straight. Their issues are not helped by this PC bs, which is more about control than respecting differences.

In fact, the enforced language nonsense allows people to dismiss real issues for people who are not straight men and women.

Anybody can say the "right terms" but respect and love comes from the heart.

A-women on its own is very silly idea which is pretty harmless.

Out of the same Hymn book so to speak is the 100 plus genders and growing, gender is a social construct idea and the attack of males which is more dangerous.

Getting rid of the terms of father and mother for parent is just rubbish and social engineering by Marxists who play the role of social justice warriors.

Yes, their are issues for trans people and for people who are not straight. Their issues are not helped by this PC bs, which is more about control than respecting differences.

In fact, the enforced language nonsense allows people to dismiss real issues for people who are not straight men and women.

Anybody can say the "right terms" but respect and love comes from the heart.
So you managed to escape from Washington last week then.

You are calling me a bigot?

I really hope not.

Shows how people can’t debated issues but rather name call.

Intelligently very dishonest.
I got to this line and stopped reading:

So I dunno if bigot is the term I was looking for. Brainwashed loon? Maybe ... You'd certainly have to be brainwashed to type something like that and not be taking the piss. But you aren't a bird are you so i can't call you a loon. Borked GIGO NPC? Maybe. I doubt any of that stuff you typed comes from your own original thought processes. Its all been placed there by people who use big tech to control your mind.

What is the issue you are debating? All I've seen is an incoherent rant about stuff vaguely associated with a particular type of modern identity politics. So not really an issue at all. No wonder all that is left is name calling.

Can you name any individuals who got "rid of the terms mother and father for parent"? Any places this happened. Can you independently research and check if its true that this stuff actually happened? That Role Playing Marxist Social Justice Warriors stopped people using the terms mother or father.

I got to this line and stopped reading:

So I dunno if bigot is the term I was looking for. Brainwashed loon? Maybe ... You'd certainly have to be brainwashed to type something like that and not be taking the piss. But you aren't a bird are you so i can't call you a loon. Borked GIGO NPC? Maybe. I doubt any of that stuff you typed comes from your own original thought processes. Its all been placed there by people who use big tech to control your mind.

What is the issue you are debating? All I've seen is an incoherent rant about stuff vaguely associated with a particular type of modern identity politics. So not really an issue at all. No wonder all that is left is name calling.

Can you name any individuals who got "rid of the terms mother and father for parent"? Any places this happened. Can you independently research and check if its true that this stuff actually happened? That Role Playing Marxist Social Justice Warriors stopped people using the terms mother or father.
I was 19 at the time, I went to TAFE to study Community Services and Youth Work.

One of the lecturers was Marxist. I really enjoyed him as person and for short a time considered myself Marxist.

As a deeply Troubled young man Marxist ideas appealed to me regarding a fair go and put my life struggles into a context.

The lecturer taught me the connections between captialism and discrimination. He also, taught me about the gender and sexual spectrum.

He encouraged me to reject man typical tact’s, which for a very short time I tried to do. It was too uncomfortable to continue and felt weird.

I’m not sure but other classmates said to me that the lecturer was grooming me. I couldn’t say either way.

First hand I’ve seen and experienced it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the answer is a purely administrative one. Parent has been proposed as an umbrella term in instances to cover any permutations. It certainly makes modern life easier in a clerical, 'fill in this form' society. I don't think society is at the point where it's going to police the words 'mother' or 'father' in the family home. There's other terms people are more preoccupied with getting people to use before those two.

Has anyone suggested it? Like, anyone beyond an academic or two?

Nancy Pelosi is not an academic. She's the speaker of the US House of Representatives. She proposed House Resolution 8, with other Democrat support, which included changing references for

Father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, nephew, niece, husband, wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister.​

to

Parent, child, sibling, parent’s sibling, first cousin, sibling’s child, spouse, parent in-law, child-in-law, sibling-in-law, stepparent, stepchild, stepsibling, half-sibling, or grandchild’.​

Nancy Pelosi is not an academic. She's the speaker of the US House of Representatives. She proposed House Resolution 8, with other Democrat support, which included changing references for

Father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, nephew, niece, husband, wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister.​

to

Parent, child, sibling, parent’s sibling, first cousin, sibling’s child, spouse, parent in-law, child-in-law, sibling-in-law, stepparent, stepchild, stepsibling, half-sibling, or grandchild’.​
Oh - in that context. Why not? They’re not asking people to refer to their own parents as “parent”, which is what the other poster seemed to be saying.

Why would they want to prohibit terms like mother, father etc?
To account for single parent families? I know of some daycare centres that have a parents day in lieu of mothers day or fathers day for that reason.
The aim is a reflection of modern family dynamics though, nothing to do with gender.

There's a few articles and a video on this, I picked one that highlighted the complete stupidity of it though.

I'm not sure if you'd call it political correctness gone made, gender inclusive language completely botched, ridiculous virtue signalling, high-jacking of language, just plain stupidity or something else.

Either way, one of the most ridiculous examples I've seen of people finding a problem/solution where there isn't one.
someone who has no apparent value of their sense of gender.. good topic.. that is all ..

sorted:

It's here https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-resolution/8/text

One tiny section. ONE TIIIIINY section.

Out of 500 lines, here it is:

(e) Gender-Inclusive Language.—
(1) In clause 1(c)(9) of rule X, strike “seamen” and insert “seafarers”.
(2) In clause 4(a)(1)(B) of rule X, strike “Chairman” and insert “Chair”.
(3) In clause 8(c)(3) of rule XXIII, strike “father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, nephew, niece, husband, wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister, grandson, or granddaughter” and insert “parent, child, sibling, parent’s sibling, first cousin, sibling’s child, spouse, parent-in-law, child-in-law, sibling-in-law, stepparent, stepchild, stepsibling, half-sibling, or grandchild”.
(4) In clause 10(b) of rule XXIII—
(A) strike “submit his or her resignation” and insert “resign”;
(B) strike “he or she serves” and insert “such Member, Delegate, or Resident Commissioner serves”; and
(C) strike “he or she holds” and insert “such Member, Delegate, or Resident Commissioner holds”.
(5) In clause 15(d)(2) of rule XXIII, strike “father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, husband, wife, father-in-law, or mother-in-law” and insert “parent, child, sibling, spouse, or parent-in-law”.
(6) In clause 4 of rule XXVII, strike “himself or herself” and insert “themself”.

10 lines.

The word "Gender" is mentioned twice.

And this applied to the Office of the Whistleblower Ombudsman.

I was 19 at the time, I went to TAFE to study Community Services and Youth Work.

One of the lecturers was Marxist. I really enjoyed him as person and for short a time considered myself Marxist.

As a deeply Troubled young man Marxist ideas appealed to me regarding a fair go and put my life struggles into a context.

The lecturer taught me the connections between captialism and discrimination. He also, taught me about the gender and sexual spectrum.

He encouraged me to reject man typical tact’s, which for a very short time I tried to do. It was too uncomfortable to continue and felt weird.

I’m not sure but other classmates said to me that the lecturer was grooming me. I couldn’t say either way.

First hand I’ve seen and experienced it.
And?

Apart from potentially grooming you, which is creepy and probably not ethical or legal for someone in his position, what is wrong with trying to get someone to think about things in a different way?

Also why is it that gender and labour relations are the same thing? Marxism is a particular analysis of the dynamic between labour and capital based on one person's life experience, and it was developed nearly 200 years ago, when the world was very different. As a result we saw revolutions but we also saw Marx influence capital and as result people like Henry Ford, who was basically a fascist, paid his workers very well. partly cos he owned most of the businesses they spent their money in but also because he got that an economy that wasn't dependent on slaves or foreign conquest needed to have strong internal consumption and that workers needed more economic power to enable that. It meant unions in countries like Australia could eventually demand fair wages for workers by showing the real examples of revolutions inspired by the massive inequality and unfairness that Marx was calling out.

There is no sexual spectrum. If biological sex is defined by reproduction (which it is, its the language used), then organisms that reproduce sexually can only do so with male and female cells. But that only refers to reproduction. Everything else is a bit more complex.

There are gender spectrums and differences in sexual expression tho. Even with sexual dimorphism there are people who are intersex - ie they don't express either biological sex "accurately'. its rare that intersex people can breed tho. I'm unaware of it ever happening.

Gender is a cultural or social construct. Its about how cultures determine female and male roles and behaviours. Its not dependent on male or female qualities tho. Different societies across history have had different ideas about gender, to a point. Obviously biological reproduction has a bit to do with how that pans out. Recognising all these things, cos they are there and exist, then acknowledging them is not the same as social engineering.

Unless you include teaching and trying to make your kids as smart and functional as possible in the field of social engineering, in which case bring it on, we need more of it.

sorted:

It's here https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-resolution/8/text

One tiny section. ONE TIIIIINY section.

(e) Gender-Inclusive Language.—
(1) In clause 1(c)(9) of rule X, strike “seamen” and insert “seafarers”.
(2) In clause 4(a)(1)(B) of rule X, strike “Chairman” and insert “Chair”.
(3) In clause 8(c)(3) of rule XXIII, strike “father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, nephew, niece, husband, wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister, grandson, or granddaughter” and insert “parent, child, sibling, parent’s sibling, first cousin, sibling’s child, spouse, parent-in-law, child-in-law, sibling-in-law, stepparent, stepchild, stepsibling, half-sibling, or grandchild”.
(4) In clause 10(b) of rule XXIII—
(A) strike “submit his or her resignation” and insert “resign”;
(B) strike “he or she serves” and insert “such Member, Delegate, or Resident Commissioner serves”; and
(C) strike “he or she holds” and insert “such Member, Delegate, or Resident Commissioner holds”.
(5) In clause 15(d)(2) of rule XXIII, strike “father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, husband, wife, father-in-law, or mother-in-law” and insert “parent, child, sibling, spouse, or parent-in-law”.
(6) In clause 4 of rule XXVII, strike “himself or herself” and insert “themself”.
It says they'll be changing it, I couldn't see where it says why?

Are people no longer fathers, mothers, sisters or brothers?

They now cater to those who don't identify with gender specific language, what about the vast, vast majority of individuals who do identify with their sex as their gender and want to use their pronouns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back