Dasher39

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2003
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MVFC, Storm, Arsenal
This is probably old news to a lot of you, but I just found out. This year the American Bowl will be played in Tokyo between Atlanta and Indianapolis!

So close, yet so far away...I would absolutely love to see Atlanta in action, but obviously cannot get to Tokyo! Why dont the NFL come back to Australia, I understand they came out in 1999 or 2000, but this is the 12th time they have been to Tokyo, how about taking it somewhere different!

Re: Just so close!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The NFL is all about dollars!
The Japanese pay out big bucks for a lot of high dollar tickets every year.
Doubt if the NFL would attract as many dollars for a game played in Sydney or Melbourne.

I wouldn't bother going to a trial game... to watch players go half pace for half a game with back up players (most likely on the 'just so close' of getting CUT) playing most of the game... not worth the trip. Gimme a divisional match up on American soil with everything on the line. I'll be damned how thier wasn't a game in either SF or SD in the second week of the 1999 season. Only 7 short months to go... ;)

Woodson said:
I wouldn't bother going to a trial game... to watch players go half pace for half a game with back up players (most likely on the 'just so close' of getting CUT) playing most of the game... not worth the trip. Gimme a divisional match up on American soil with everything on the line. I'll be damned how thier wasn't a game in either SF or SD in the second week of the 1999 season. Only 7 short months to go... ;)

If it came to Australia I would go, better to see them going half pace than to not see them at all. I would love to go to a Divisional Game, but you ever tried getting tickets to one of those!!

Went to the Broncos v Raiders game at Invesco Feild at Mile High on Nov 28 last year. (2 months ago)
The result didn't go my way, but the game had it all, including sitting through the snowstorm.
Had been waiting to go to a game for 10 years it was just something else.
The ticket I had were about 12 rows back from the field on the 30 yard line.
Great atmosphere. Highly recommend it.

Got photos at home I will upload somewhere and put on here.

Wore alot of clothes that night!
Had on the termals, followed by warm up track pants, jeans, and waterproof pants.
Had on short and long sleeve t-shirts, a flannie, jumper, heavy waterproof lined jacket.
Woolen gloves, beanie, hat with ear flaps, and the hood of the jacket with a scarf.
It was cold.

Got a good warm up the week before when I went to a NCAA game Air Force v CSU at Air Force Academy where it was also snowing and about 14F. NCAA game was great for the bands, and offense driven game.

Dasher39 said:
I would go, better to see them going half pace than to not see them at all.

yeah, they used to bring the American Bowl to Wembley Stadium before fan apathy made the NFL decide not to waste thier time.

Nearest its been since was Dublin.

I hear your sentiments on seeing them at half pace being better than not seeing them at all, the last American Bowl in London featured Kansas City yet I couldn't persuade anyone to fork out the ££ needed to go along, the KC quarterback for the first few plays was Joe Montana.

Whilst it was very close to the end of his career, and he only took a few snaps, there are those who can forever say "I saw Joe Montana play", and then there are the rest of us... :(

They say it's coming back to the new Wembley, I hope so.

Dasher39 said:
If it came to Australia I would go, better to see them going half pace than to not see them at all. I would love to go to a Divisional Game, but you ever tried getting tickets to one of those!!

So I assume that you didn't go to the game played at Stadium Australia in August 1999 between Denver and San Diego??

I went to this game, and in comparison to regular season games I have seen in the US, it was extremely boring..... the usual starters played in the first drive of each team only and were replaced by no - names for the rest of the game....

I think they got a crowd around 60,000 or so to the game, but for the novelty factor alone...

BuffaloRules said:
I went to this game, and in comparison to regular season games I have seen in the US, it was extremely boring..... the usual starters played in the first drive of each team only and were replaced by no - names for the rest of the game....

I think they got a crowd around 60,000 or so to the game, but for the novelty factor alone...

Well said... that's my point. Even if the opportunity to see a pre-season game in the USA come about, I'd let the game pass. I want my first NFL experience to be remembered for one that COUNTs for something and that the QB & his teammates play all of the game.

If a game of gridiron was such a spectacle to see guys going hell for leather, I'd take a local league rivalry game here in metro Melbourne (VGFL) over a pre-season NFL game. Heck, I've officiated in over 100 and the tension still exsists.

Woodson said:
Well said... that's my point. Even if the opportunity to see a pre-season game in the USA come about, I'd let the game pass. I want my first NFL experience to be remembered for one that COUNTs for something and that the QB & his teammates play all of the game.

If a game of gridiron was such a spectacle to see guys going hell for leather, I'd take a local league rivalry game here in metro Melbourne (VGFL) over a pre-season NFL game. Heck, I've officiated in over 100 and the tension still exsists.

Where do they play Woodson and at what time of year?? I wouldn't mind going to check it out.

COOL-A-ROO said:
Where do they play Woodson and at what time of year?? I wouldn't mind going to check it out.

Have to check out which teams still going. Most games were at the Footscray Hockey centre (astroturf) in 2000-01. Not sure if they still use the same grounds. Season starts Sept 'til Dec.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

click here for the victorian association's homepage
http://www.gridironvictoria.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx

from memory, i think the vic season begins in may with the Vicbowl in late August/early September. the nsw season up here in sydney runs in tandem with the nfl.

click here for the aust association's homepage
http://www.gridironaustralia.org.au/

they've currently got a 'spotlight on' article on a kid called Adrian Thomas. i've been on the park with this guy up here. he was running around in the seniors for the sutherland seahawks. he's only 17 or 18 but, he's freakin massive. easily 6'4" or 6'5" and nearly 300lbs me thinks. and he can move that mass around fast which is required for an OL on the gridiron - strong, powerful, and explosive. just as well i play DB and didn't need to get near him to often. at 5'9" and 190lbs (still one of the bigger DB's running around up here though :) )i don't need to be a physics major to know the consequences of a high velocity clash. :eek:

won't need to worry for a few years now. good on him for getting a gig at UH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back