FTA-TV American Gods

Remove this Banner Ad

Great show to watch. Really never gets boring does it. I didn't like the leprechaun to start with but he was awesome by the end with his crazy obsession with the coin and then the excellent tale of Essie McGowan.

I didn't care too much for the finale, but am in the minority there I think. I'm
hooked tho, the concept is excellent.

Has some of the best opening credits I've ever seen too.

First episode was awesome! Vikings. supernatural, cinematography, McShane, Americana, soundtrack, virtual reality. No idea what is going on but can't wait to find out.

I've only just started on this. am about 5 eps into S1, and am absolutely loving it! The tangents it flies off in are interesting, and the script is sharp and witty.

And yeah, Lincoln from The 100, of course. And he's English, I had no idea.

Just finished - excellent. They're building on the book in some excellent ways.

Was wavering a bit in terms of how highly I'd rate it until Ep6, which I reckon is one of the more poignant and emotional episodes of TV I reckon I've watched in a very long time. That, the finale generally, Anansi's monologue, Ibis' vignettes and the cinematography the highlights for me.

Going to be interesting how things diverge further in S2 - particularly with the war being a lot more explicit and the bit players (Bilquis, Salim) getting a far bigger role.

Is back. Weird as ever, they might have blown the special effects budget on just the first ep, visual flair is still present. House on the Rock looked great. Enjoyed the meeting of the old gods (even though I thought Shadow's speech was a bit meh) and the americana diner standing in for a norse feast hall lol. Mad Sweeny remains probably the best thing about the show.

With all the turmoil behind the scenes since season 1 there are a few cracks they needed to paper over, such as the woman that played Ostara/Easter not coming back for season 2. Picks up pretty much where season 1 left off but they've just ditched the blight idea (we just get a background news story about freak weather in Kentucky, thats it). Mr Nancy seems a bit different from season 1 or maybe I'm not remembering correctly, didn't think he was that flamboyant.

Anyone still watching this? Definitely a step down in quality from season 1 IMO. Its too 'on the nose' or something compared to what it used to be, hard to describe. I guess an example would be in the latest ep with Wednesday literally talking to his ravens - not that they talked back or anything, but in season 1 it would have been done just with a tilt of his head or a look. Season 2 lacking a bit of subtlety and nuance, some shocking dialogue in spots too.

On the positive side seems like they have more of a production budget, some of the visuals and sets are insane and weird (in a good way). Argus (old god re-branded as the god of surveilance) scene was great, allthough I much prefer Gillian Anderson's version to teeny bopper chick now that she's 'New Media'.

I'm still watching and find it entertaining, I'll watch pretty much anything with McShane and Mad Sweeney without his luck is particularly good value, but the decline in quality is noticeable and I'd say this will be the last season, which is a bit of a shame.

Last edited:
First episode of season 3 out. We are only up to mid S2 but it is a let down from S1. Good show overall but a bit slow moving.

I'm not sure why, but decided to watch season 3 all the way through.
Ends on a cliffhanger, but has been cancelled.

One of the those shows you keep hoping gets better, but it never does.
Poor writing, more style over substance.
Haven't read the book, but must be better than the show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed to hear it has been cancelled. Watched all three series all loved it, even though there were certain periods in each series where i had no idea what was going on. Ian McShane's performance was outstanding. Only just realised that Shadow Moon is a Pom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back