American rules in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It would create a situation where some clubs turn into talent development and others decide it is not worth it to develop anyone when they can pinch them from another club the year before they would move to top 22.
Everyone has a salary cap still. Teams couldn't have all senior players in their squad as that'd put them over the salary cap.

is that your argument?

Serisouly, I thought you had more than that.

Well, it's more than you've got, and really, I didn't feel like I needed to produce pages of text to counter your lack of argument.

Well, it's more than you've got, and really, I didn't feel like I needed to produce pages of text to counter your lack of argument.

But you started this conversation. If you are going to challenge someone's opinion you need to stand by that.

Last edited:

Why? If they are a borderline player at one team in and out of the team and can be picked up by a team that will guarantee them a game why should they not be allowed to leave?

It makes development irrelevant.

Imagine trying to be a list manager when every year half of your list can just move freely, it's a stupid idea.

But you started this conversation. If you are going to challenge someone's opinion you need to stand by that.

You posted crap, I called you on it...Shouldn't you back up your original assertion?

Even if my argument is weak, weak is still better than none.

It's like you're saying the earth is flat, and saying you don't need to justifying it because you claim my counter arguments are weak.

You posted crap, I called you on it...Shouldn't you back up your original assertion?

Even if my argument is weak, weak is still better than none.

It's like you're saying the earth is flat, and saying you don't need to justifying it because you claim my counter arguments are weak.

Teslor you got this back to front. I posted an opinion. You challenged it. I called you on it. Then you said that you are done.

Teslor you got this back to front. I posted an opinion. You challenged it. I called you on it. Then you said that you are done.

No, you put up an idea and Teslor pointed out why it wouldn't work in the Australian context (i.e. without a college system).

You responded, in my opinion, with an inadequate response which Teslor further dismantled

You then flicked the switch to

"is that your argument?

Serisouly, I thought you had more than that."

At which point it is quite reasonable to disengage

If you could confidently replicate the US College system your idea might be a goer. You can't so it isn't.

Last edited:
Let’s go full US sport and bring in time outs and tv time outs so quarters last an hour each and the final minute of the game takes 30mins of real time to complete

Maybe if we're going to "Americanise" list management maybe we should do simpler, and more practical changes like, being able to pick up an undrafted player if your Ty Vickery or Ben Griffiths decides to retire after the draft so you're not for no reason carrying that player on your list. That would be a lot better of an idea than a 10 day contract lol.

And we already have 2-way contracts. It's called the reserves team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nearly all posts here were about off-field 'rules' e.g. the draft, salary cap, list management etc, but entirely overlooked the biggest on-field rule change ever perpetrated by the AFL - namely the interchange.

The AFL took this rule change directly from the American sport of basketball, where it works well. However, once the coaches eventually cottoned on to how to use it (which took them over 10 years) it's had a terrible effect on our game by the congestion it's caused - the worst rule change ever.

Nearly all posts here were about off-field 'rules' e.g. the draft, salary cap, list management etc, but entirely overlooked the biggest on-field rule change ever perpetrated by the AFL - namely the interchange.

The AFL took this rule change directly from the American sport of basketball, where it works well. However, once the coaches eventually cottoned on to how to use it (which took them over 10 years) it's had a terrible effect on our game by the congestion it's caused - the worst rule change ever.
Huh?

Congestion was always going to happen as the collective wisdom of football as a whole realised that initiating tactics that cause congestion can win more games of football, you know, as tactical evolution happens over time. NBA teams shoot more three pointers than they did the year before for the last 20 years straight as the teams gradually come to the collective wisdom that 3 is more than 2 and that gradually filters through their version of list managemetn and tactics.

The interchange had existed since the 1978. Flooding/congestion was really only a thing that started in the late 90's, and it was as late as the mid 2000's that the interchange was used to facilitate this. There's still players listed in 2018 that were hardly getting game time off the bench. Kade Simpson's 6th AFL game, which was in his 2nd season in 2004, he played 19% of game time. In that match, 11 of Carlton's players had a time on ground percentage of at least 95%. It's a very long bow to draw that interchange in the 1970's led to congestion in the 21st century.

Not a fan of 10 day contracts or trade periods.

I'd start small and have a flexible rookie list where each club can have say 6 players train over summer for the final 3 rookie list spots that are set at the start of March. Each of the train on players gets say 1k a week plus expenses and relocation payment to train from November until March and then the 3 who get picked get the standard contract.

Then I'd have 1 list space open up at mid season for each club. With a maximum of 18 players I don't think it would decimate state leagues. I'd have any player added mid year eligible to say with their club if over 22 years old and eligible to be drafted by their club with the academy discount (20%??) if under 22.

If we were to bring in a rule from US sports it should be being able to trade contracted players to gain the best advantage for the team.
Currently, FA/Player movement is too far to the advantage of players

So much this.

It's quite nonsensical and illogical when you think about it that an uncontracted player being traded is the norm in our sport. They should just be a free agent.

Huh?

Congestion was always going to happen as the collective wisdom of football as a whole realised that initiating tactics that cause congestion can win more games of football, you know, as tactical evolution happens over time. NBA teams shoot more three pointers than they did the year before for the last 20 years straight as the teams gradually come to the collective wisdom that 3 is more than 2 and that gradually filters through their version of list managemetn and tactics.

The interchange had existed since the 1978. Flooding/congestion was really only a thing that started in the late 90's, and it was as late as the mid 2000's that the interchange was used to facilitate this. There's still players listed in 2018 that were hardly getting game time off the bench. Kade Simpson's 6th AFL game, which was in his 2nd season in 2004, he played 19% of game time. In that match, 11 of Carlton's players had a time on ground percentage of at least 95%. It's a very long bow to draw that interchange in the 1970's led to congestion in the 21st century.

This.
I also personally dont buy the idea thay capping interchanges would stop congestion and flooding - in fact I think its the opposite.
I think that the more tired players get, the more coaches are going to play a conservative, defensive style of game.
---

As for the earlier talk about increasing the draft age to 20-21 I agree with it, but it reqires a lot more investment before you can implement it.
The biggest benefit is equalization- the whole purpose of the draft.
Get 2-3 years of watching Tom Boyd playing against men in the VFL (and seeing how his body holds up to that) and he might not be your first pick. It also means those players are much more AFL ready (both physically and emotionally) and you arent floundering for 2-3 years at the bottom waiting for them to develop.

For this to work - the AFL really needs to invest in the state leagues - both to improvement player development and coaches, but also to ensure there is enough financial incentives to keep these youngsters in the game while they are waiting for AFL.
The added benefit is that it will create much more interest in those leagues: have 2-3 years of a potential number 1 pick the VFL and people will want to be watching him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back