bit_pattern

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Feb 6, 2008
Mosman
AFL Club
Collingwood
Western troops accused of executing 10 Afghan civilians, including children

American-led troops were accused yesterday of dragging innocent children from their beds and shooting them during a night raid that left ten people dead.
Afghan government investigators said that eight schoolchildren were killed, all but one of them from the same family. Locals said that some victims were handcuffed before being killed.

I'm (not) surprised this hasn't gotten more attention, America denies it of course.

Assadullah Wafa, who led the investigation, said that US soldiers flew to Kunar from Kabul, suggesting that they were part of a special forces unit.

“At around 1 am, three nights ago, some American troops with helicopters left Kabul and landed around 2km away from the village,” he told The Times. “The troops walked from the helicopters to the houses and, according to my investigation, they gathered all the students from two rooms, into one room, and opened fire.” Mr Wafa, a former governor of Helmand province, met President Karzai to discuss his findings yesterday. “I spoke to the local headmaster,” he said. “It’s impossible they were al-Qaeda. They were children, they were civilians, they were innocent. I condemn this attack.”

Except that a terrible thing had to happen for the joke to be possible.

I understand the point though.

Silly anecdote but here goes. My grandfather fought in WW2. One night recently at a dinner an acquaintance of the family decided to get on his soap box and start questioning him about it.

He is older (in his 50's) and is almost the prototypical middle class white protestant "the kids these days are no good" type.

A bit tipsy and clearly a history channel buff, started to wax lyrical about WW2, with the angle being moral obligation, in some kind of misplaced attempt to dress down myself and my younger brother (for essentially being young).

Finally he reaches the apex of his speech, smug, self satisfied, he turns to my grandfather expecting him to jump on board and deliver the killing blow. To paraphrase, all he had to say was "wars are senseless things. Good and evil don't come into it and the best our grandchildren can hope is to learn from our mistakes".

In my opinion overt aggression and violence is abhorrent, with war being the worst expression. How people can cynically support it, or fail to think critically about the reasoning is beyond me.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone.

More point out that there (unfortunately) are some people that will always try to justify these acts (it was for national security ect.)

I am The Lord and Saviour, The Lamb of God, follow me into the light my children, I am Your Shepard!

(Only the One True Prophet can be both a lamb AND a shepard at the same time! :p)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, he gets touchy about things like that, the other day he was insisting that the UN must be liars fore finding a boatload of Sri Lankan's were genuine refugees, because he once worked on a boat. What a flog!

Ouch.

I can't tell if you are being serious or joking.:eek:

Was just making a cheeky observation (about Herne's post), not meaning to have a serious dig.

TBH when I read on other forums people being overtly nationalistic, attacking Australia(ns) or praising their military or militarization, it does not make me feel more patriotic but less.

It all just seems so ridiculous.

I'm not surprised that you and a few of your disciples have picked it up and run with it on here and of course accepted it as gospel :rolleyes:

UN unofficial report has verified the action. You ought to read/watch the sources offered. But, no surprise, you just dismiss it with your head stuck in the sand HHH.

Australian warcrimes

we can always give the Seppos a run for their money

http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/transcript/id/600016/n/A-Survivor-s-Tale

This is how Australia first learnt that five children had been killed by ADF soldiers serving in Afghanistan.

LIEUTENANT GENERAL MARK EVANS, CHIEF OF JOINT OPERATIONS: During the conduct of this operation there was an exchange of fire between our forces and the Taliban. Tragically, a number of people were killed and wounded during this incident. Current reporting indicates that those killed include a suspected insurgent and, sadly, local nationals including five children killed and two children and two adults injured.

oh BP, sadly, I am starting to miss the avator of the journo afflicted with Bell's Palsy. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back