Travel America's (non USA) travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

So I'm in the planning stages for my next holiday atm (Cuba!)
There's no stopping Cuba happening, but what I was wondering, is it worth adding a few days in Santiago and/or Lima?

I will come back and do Peru properly at a later date, but at this point in time, it's solely a Cuban trip. I was contemplating adding Honolulu in on the way through, but the price for a Oneworld Circle Pacific fare was too high.

So, Santiago and Lima, worth doing? If so, how long? What is there to do?

I can’t comment on Lima but Santiago is worth a couple of days. Probably the most developed and safest major city in South America, it has some really cool districts, an interesting political history and on a clear day features great views of the Andes.

As for things to do, obviously it depends what you’re in to but the main plaza (Plaza De Armas) has a cool mix of colonial and modern architecture and is a good spot for some people watching. The presidential palace is a great place to learn and see firsthand (either through the tense atmosphere or more obviously through the bullet holes) some of the effects of the 1973 coup. There are a couple of hills to walk up with the reward of 360 degree views at the top. The Bellavista district has some cool bars. Or maybe you just want to sit back and get a coffee (with legs).

That said, I wouldn’t want to spend more than a couple of days in Santiago, although that’s mainly due to the fact that Chile is one of the most scenic countries in the world and I’d rather be in some of those outdoor areas. While you probably won’t have time to head to these natural attractions, Valparaiso is only 130km or so from Santiago and is worth a visit. Valparaiso has a strong bohemian feel to it, some of the best street art in the world, these awesome old funiculars and was one of the highlights of my South American trip.

Due to flight prices, and then being told of some other things I've booked the holiday today

Adelaide ---> Sydney ---> Dallas/Los Angeles (unsure on which atm)
Dallas/Los Angeles ---> Cancun ---> Havana
21 day Cuba tour
CompleteCuba-200041358181747_crop_300_300.gif

Havana ---> Cancun
22 day Central America tour
MayanEmpiresmap-146781311601773_crop_300_300.gif

Cancun ---> Dallas/Los Angeles ---> Sydney ---> Adelaide

Has anyone here done any plces on that 2nd tour (other than Cancun)?

I was told Caye Caulker and then Guatemala/Belize is the best place a mate's travelled (he travels 2-3 times a year, and other than USA for sport, he refuses to go to the same place twice) anyone else able to say the same?

Due to flight prices, and then being told of some other things I've booked the holiday today

Adelaide ---> Sydney ---> Dallas/Los Angeles (unsure on which atm)
Dallas/Los Angeles ---> Cancun ---> Havana
21 day Cuba tour
CompleteCuba-200041358181747_crop_300_300.gif

Havana ---> Cancun
22 day Central America tour
MayanEmpiresmap-146781311601773_crop_300_300.gif

Cancun ---> Dallas/Los Angeles ---> Sydney ---> Adelaide

Has anyone here done any plces on that 2nd tour (other than Cancun)?

I was told Caye Caulker and then Guatemala/Belize is the best place a mate's travelled (he travels 2-3 times a year, and other than USA for sport, he refuses to go to the same place twice) anyone else able to say the same?
Is the 2nd part a booked tour? I spent 4 months in Central America, 2 in Mexico/Belize & Guatemala alone and I'd definitely change up a few things.

Is the 2nd part a booked tour? I spent 4 months in Central America, 2 in Mexico/Belize & Guatemala alone and I'd definitely change up a few things.
Yeah, both are 3 week tours.

Yeah, both are 3 week tours.
Ahhok fair enough. Guatemala is the most amazing country, I spent a month there and I'd go back in a second if I could. Shame your tour locks you into those places because you're going to miss out on the best place I've ever been too in Semuc Champey whilst you'll waste time in the Cancun & Playa Del Carmen which are essentially the Gold Coast with american tourists.
You'll see some epic stuff though. The Tikal ruins are something else, if you can get there late afternoon as the park will be almost empty and your ticket will be valid for the next day too. I camped there then ran to the top of tower 5 and watched the sunrise come over the jungle. Highly recommend.

yeah, as I said above, a mate did Guatemala and Belize and said it's the most amazing place he's ever been. Had to get that in once I decided I would be forgoing South America. He only brought up Caye Caulker and Guatemala being the best place he's been. Don't know the full details of the tour as geckos don't run it anymore, but it started in Cancun and ended in Antigua going for 9 days.

I just told myself, if im in that area of the world, im going to get Chichen Itza in. I could have done more in depth Guatemala, but that was the best tour I found that did A) Chichen Itza, B) Caye Caulker and C) Guatemala while still i) being at a good time to go along with my Cuba tour. Almost every other option I looked at would've meant 1week+ between tours and I didn't want to do that. So just took this one.

yeah, as I said above, a mate did Guatemala and Belize and said it's the most amazing place he's ever been. Had to get that in once I decided I would be forgoing South America. He only brought up Caye Caulker and Guatemala being the best place he's been. Don't know the full details of the tour as geckos don't run it anymore, but it started in Cancun and ended in Antigua going for 9 days.

I just told myself, if im in that area of the world, im going to get Chichen Itza in. I could have done more in depth Guatemala, but that was the best tour I found that did A) Chichen Itza, B) Caye Caulker and C) Guatemala while still i) being at a good time to go along with my Cuba tour. Almost every other option I looked at would've meant 1week+ between tours and I didn't want to do that. So just took this one.
You forgot option D which is by far the easiest, cheapest and most rewarding: do it all your own way.

You forgot option D which is by far the easiest, cheapest and most rewarding: do it all your own way.
My 2011-13 holidays were tours and 14-15 holidays were self done ones, I preferred the tours tbh. So think Ill do that again.

My 2011-13 holidays were tours and 14-15 holidays were self done ones, I preferred the tours tbh. So think Ill do that again.
Really? Don't take this the wrong way as I'm genuinely curious but why? To me tours are so restrictive, I get that it's good to not have to worry about transport and everything is set out for you but to me that kinda defeats the purpose of travelling. It's all about getting out of your comfort zone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backpacking around Central America for a month in December with mates, rough idea is Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua (not sure whether we'll go from north to south or vice versa just yet)

Anyway keen on people who've travelled the region on tips and places to see. Very keen on Caye Caulker & Leon already, and not too sure we'll bother with Playa Del Carmen/Cancun. Anyway keen to hear some thoughts.

Cheers.

Backpacking around Central America for a month in December with mates, rough idea is Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua (not sure whether we'll go from north to south or vice versa just yet)

Anyway keen on people who've travelled the region on tips and places to see. Very keen on Caye Caulker & Leon already, and not too sure we'll bother with Playa Del Carmen/Cancun. Anyway keen to hear some thoughts.

Cheers.
Caye Caulker is cool but there's not heaps to do there, you might as well stop there if you're heading from Mexico to Guatemala.

How much are flights to cuba?
For the cancun/havana/cancun flights, I'm paying $460, having said that, I booked the second they came out as I was under the impression central/south america flights were expensive.

Could've saved $200 if I waited (the exact same flights are going for $271 right now.)

Also, my parents decided to fund me business class flights if I found some reasonably priced flights.
So I changed my plans of economy via Dallas to Business via Santiago.

I have a sizeable layover in Lima on the way back (land 5am, leave 20 hours later at 1am.) I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for what to do? As I'd have been running around for weeks Im tempted to just relax at a hotel (I will go back in the future for maachu pichu, so will do lima again)

But if someone knows of anything great, I'd look into it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back