News Amon Buchanan Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Knew the end was coming, bit unlucky he didn't get more games, but did a great job mentoring the youngsters and the like.

General Manager, Football Operations, Dean Warren said Buchanan had made a significant impact at the Club in only a short period of time.

“Amon has been a terrific servant of the Lions, and in particular as a mentor to our younger brigade coming through the Reserves,” Warren said.

“His commitment to this Club, and his contribution towards the development of our young players has been invaluable, and we wish Amon and his family all the best for the future.”

Good luck to him for the future, I wish him all the best and I'm sure we all do!

art-Lions1-620x349.jpg

Shame he didn't play more games, but he seems passionate on helping the younger guys and i really admire that :) hopefully he stays with us for a while.

Many thanks Monty. The 2's have benefitted by and appreciated your contribution and us Ressies watchers have also.
Kudos to you finishing in your time and with great dignity. The boys clearly wanted to chair you off but you wouldn't let them, I suspect so as not to not detract from the team win. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Never got to see him much in the flesh. But hella respect for the guy. Has had a great career, premiership player with the swans and even tho wasn't a regular in the lions seniors, showed a great attitude by becoming a great role model for the reserves.

A great ambassador, very fitting to have a game for the seniors prior to this announcement, I can't wish enough for him to bow out as a premiership player with the Ressies next week, I don't think anyone deserves it more. :thumbsu:

Thought he would hang up his boots at the end of this year. Great little player for us in our really strong years. In fact, it's always been my opinion that he should have won the 2005 Norm Smith. His second half was monstrous.

Sounds like he has played a very selfless role for you guys in the 2's this year (a similar one to Jarred Moore for us from what I've heard).

Congrats to Monty.

Congrats and farewell to Monty on a terrific career. Hope people remember the contribution that he's made to guiding the youngsters who'll be the core of our next premiership team :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was always proud to see your name on the list. You have the kind of class that will see you stay a success long after football is a memory. Thanks champ.

It's a shame that more supporters won't know how good he has been for the club, instead of only seeing him as a wasted trade that we didn't get games out of. This is why experienced players are good to have, even if they are depth, if you get top blokes like Monty doing the job, the young guys are in a much better area for development.

Congrats on a good career, Amon! Told him, if we win a premiership in the coming years it's because of him. Glad he got a final game in the AFL last week.

all the best Amon, didn't set the world alight on the field in his time in Brisbane but clearly had an impact off the filed and played a valuable role for the club

good luck in your next gig...

In coming years, as our current younger brigade emerge as stars of the competition, many of them should thank Buchanan for the example he's set around the place and on the field. Invaluable. Congratulations, Mon, and thanks. :thumbsu:

The way people carry on about bucca and his "youth development" role surprises me. Sure he would have some impact but to carry on that he is some sort of inspirational leader seems a little off.

Had he been some great leader for youngsters whilst obviously incapable of impacting at the AFL level we should have just taken him off the player roster and pay him as a coach...instead he does his 3 years, takes the cash, and surprise surprise retires...real inspirational

From what if seen he hardly demands the attention of the youngsters and is actually some what withdrawn in games.

JMO...rant done

Taking him off the roster and paying him as a coach would have still required us paying him out for the remaining year(s) of his contract, with the corresponding salary cap impacts. Out of curiousity, how many reserve games have you observed? Given apparently many of the younger players thanked Buchanan on B&F night, how do you reconcile that with your view?

Taking him off the roster and paying him as a coach would have still required us paying him out for the remaining year(s) of his contract, with the corresponding salary cap impacts. Out of curiousity, how many reserve games have you observed? Given apparently many of the younger players thanked Buchanan on B&F night, how do you reconcile that with your view?

Not if he agrees to terminate the contract

I haven't watched any ressies...and I have heard he has played good etc...so considering he was such a success why not keep him on? Or find a replacement and pay him a few 100k to mentor in ressie games...maybe we should look at trading in Kane cornes and then send him to the ressies. Or maybe we should have kept Notting or power on the list.

I get that he had some impact, and so he should stepping down from AFL to qafl. And it is a nice sentiment to find some positive from a failed trade, but I think things could be kept on the low and just move on. As he took a fair bit of our cap space since coming, and only did what any other AFL listed player could do wasting away in the ressies.

Good job with youngsters...yeah. some inspirational person...nah

Do you see any AFL listed player doing this?

He retired. He wasn't delisted.

I believe Egan might have and swapped over to coaching. And yeah most AFL players don't do it because most traded AFL players don't get traded in and left to rot in the ressies on good money with the view of being a developmental leader. Had the lions actually recognised his value in developmental coaching that people here bang on about then they could have offered him a coaching role a get him off the cap space...obviously didn't happen and bucca plays out his 3 year failed trade contract and will likely move on cashed up

If bucca was some sort of youth development leader messiah I would expect him to stay on in a coaching role...wait and see on that.

Yeah he retired...players normally get the first option to retired late in career. More dignified...but no way would he get another lions contract regardless of his "extraordinary good work" for our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back