amos' Round 1 and 2 review

Remove this Banner Ad

Short and sweet. Let's see how many rounds I can do this year. Fly out the the USA on 18th December so wont get them all done. Enjy

1. Animals run wild - Elliot Yeo (WCE) - Genuine question. What position are you planning on using him? Balanced mid? Could get some in round 6 or 7 of simililar statistical ilk. Utility?
2. Broome Bears - Dayne Zorko (BRI) - Burnt me too many times in the Real Dream Team. Risky proposition as will stipp cop tags meaning a danger in your team come finals time. Was on my top 5 priorities at this point though so I like.
3. South-Eastern Polar Bears - Rory Sloane (ADE) - Decent. Was on my list as well.
4. Outback Meerkats - Steele Sidebottom (COL) - Solid, if Merret went, he was mine.
5. South West Dragons - Heath Shaw (GWS) - Risky, but I actually think backs are now the most important position in the game as they're harder to nab decent backups later on as opposed to clearance players .... so would I have done it? Probably not. Bad memories of Dream Team 2016.
6. Mozzie Bites - Zach Merrett (ESS) - Strong Bomber midfiel depth should see Zack a carry over. My favourite selection of all my selections.
7. The Cheetahs - Jack Darling (WCE) - Good. I love Darling and would have considered him as my 2nd forward. Has been my 2nd forward for a couple of years and is very solid.
8. The Ladyboys - Seb Ross (STK) - Awesome pick. I juggled between him, Zack and Steele all days while my students were watching Xmas movies, then was kind've pissed even though I got my priority.
9. City Oval Plovers - Jack Gunston (HAW) - Spot on. Great pick, was now top of my priorities and my shift moved to forwards.
10. City Oval Plovers - Michael Hurley (ESS) - Solid. Looked at him and had I been going backs this round, it MAY have been him. May not have pulled the trigger though because I kind of dislike him. Can't fault.
11. The Ladyboys - Brad Crouch (ADE) - I thought Matt was the better one ;). Solid.
12. The Cheetahs - Adam Treloar (COL)- Yep. He clearly counts his own nubers so you never go wrong with him. COncerns over hammies are the nastiest of 2018, but I like.
13. Mozzie Bites - Taylor Walker (ADE) - Risky, but I saw him as the only forward left capable of doing what those before him can do. Glad to read WAG's comment because I'm still iffy.
14. South West Dragons - Gary Ablett (GEE) - Will get some big games from him, then some slow downs. You need a few of these in your team. Gutsy pick, tick.
15. Outback Meerkats - Andrew Gaff (WCE) - I had him and was a nice pawn to move between OM and backs, but the exptended holiday isn't ideal. I wouldnt have picked him purely due to that.
16. South-Eastern Polar Bears - Josh P Kennedy (SYD) - He's sloing down. I wouldn't have picked him
17. Broome Bears - Jack Steven (STK)
18. Animals run wild - Dustin Martin (RIC)

Short and sweet. Let's see how many rounds I can do this year. Fly out the the USA on 18th December so wont get them all done. Enjy

1. Animals run wild - Elliot Yeo (WCE) - Genuine question. What position are you planning on using him? Balanced mid? Could get some in round 6 or 7 of simililar statistical ilk. Utility?
2. Broome Bears - Dayne Zorko (BRI) - Burnt me too many times in the Real Dream Team. Risky proposition as will stipp cop tags meaning a danger in your team come finals time. Was on my top 5 priorities at this point though so I like.
3. South-Eastern Polar Bears - Rory Sloane (ADE) - Decent. Was on my list as well.
4. Outback Meerkats - Steele Sidebottom (COL) - Solid, if Merret went, he was mine.
5. South West Dragons - Heath Shaw (GWS) - Risky, but I actually think backs are now the most important position in the game as they're harder to nab decent backups later on as opposed to clearance players .... so would I have done it? Probably not. Bad memories of Dream Team 2016.
6. Mozzie Bites - Zach Merrett (ESS) - Strong Bomber midfiel depth should see Zack a carry over. My favourite selection of all my selections.
7. The Cheetahs - Jack Darling (WCE) - Good. I love Darling and would have considered him as my 2nd forward. Has been my 2nd forward for a couple of years and is very solid.
8. The Ladyboys - Seb Ross (STK) - Awesome pick. I juggled between him, Zack and Steele all days while my students were watching Xmas movies, then was kind've pissed even though I got my priority.
9. City Oval Plovers - Jack Gunston (HAW) - Spot on. Great pick, was now top of my priorities and my shift moved to forwards.
10. City Oval Plovers - Michael Hurley (ESS) - Solid. Looked at him and had I been going backs this round, it MAY have been him. May not have pulled the trigger though because I kind of dislike him. Can't fault.
11. The Ladyboys - Brad Crouch (ADE) - I thought Matt was the better one ;). Solid.
12. The Cheetahs - Adam Treloar (COL)- Yep. He clearly counts his own nubers so you never go wrong with him. COncerns over hammies are the nastiest of 2018, but I like.
13. Mozzie Bites - Taylor Walker (ADE) - Risky, but I saw him as the only forward left capable of doing what those before him can do. Glad to read WAG's comment because I'm still iffy.
14. South West Dragons - Gary Ablett (GEE) - Will get some big games from him, then some slow downs. You need a few of these in your team. Gutsy pick, tick.
15. Outback Meerkats - Andrew Gaff (WCE) - I had him and was a nice pawn to move between OM and backs, but the exptended holiday isn't ideal. I wouldnt have picked him purely due to that.
16. South-Eastern Polar Bears - Josh P Kennedy (SYD) - He's sloing down. I wouldn't have picked him
17. Broome Bears - Jack Steven (STK)
18. Animals run wild - Dustin Martin (RIC)

Statistical Review:
Round 1 (player 5)
1 Yeo - Ranks 5 of players that play regular in the Tackling position and number 8 as a Utility. Next best position would be as an IM but loads better available at this point.
2 Zorko - Ranks 2 as a Tackler, which shouldn't be effected by a tag. Only other position of note is a Utility where he averaged 91 but probably not up to scratch due to inconsistencies.
3 Sloane - IM - due to the abundance of IM's used as Utilities or BM's, he should rank amongst the top half dozen. Ranks 14th as a Pure IM
4 Sidebottom - OM - similar to Sloane, above, due to other mids playing other positions, he will probably rate highly. Ranks 13th as a Pure OM
5 Shaw - 3 guys average over 50 in the Back position, next best is 46. Put a C on one of these guys and its an extra 10 points which can be the difference. Injury would be the only concern.
6 Merrett - stats wise I don't really see it. Best position is OM but ranks 35 there. Could be used as a Tackler where he averages 30. Nothing over 40 which you'd want to guarantee from your 5th pick overall
7 Darling - Averages almost 40 as a forward, and for a second forward, is a perfect get. Ranks 8 overall.
8 Ross - genuine OM ranks 6th averaging almost 43. Handy second back if required averaging 40.5. Probably the best pick of the Round
9 Gunston - see Darling above, almost averages 40 as a forward, and Ranks 9 overall

Round 2 (player 6)
10 Hurley - you want a guy averaging 40+ here and he does this as a back. Ranks 5th overall
11 B.Crouch - statistically can't comment. Risk given injury history and there's more proven guys there that are less injury prone.
12 Treloar - another pure OM - probably wouldn't pick up anywhere else. Ranks 9th overall
13 Walker - statisitically, I personally have carried him over 5 years prior to this season. This season averaged just over 30 and you could have picked mids in the position that would have done better. Risk BUT has the history to turn it around
14 Ablett - he's an almost in most positions. Probably line up an OM ranks 14th overall there an averages just over 40. Should still be valuable this season
15 Gaff - probably could have been taken prior to Treloar. Ranks 7th Overall as an OM. To get him here is a steal as he is the same as Ross who was pick of the round in Round 1. Pick of the Round in Round 2 right here.
16 JPKennedy - another hard IM - still ranked 12th in that position in an "off season." May be getting on but will still get the hard ball.
17 Steven - ranks 11 as an OM and is reasonably consistent in that role. Pretty solid get at this point.
18 Martin - Jack of all trades, master of none. Best position looks like IM at the moment, but loads better available at this point.

Very good reviews, sr20 on point with his review of Yeo, will be a tackler or utility based on last year's form. Out of interest at, was Yeo rated 8 out of utilities available at my pick or 8 overall?

Dusty I am hoping can return to his 2017 form with no niggling injuries forcing him forward. Averaged >48 as an inside mid from my quick check

Yep I can see a move from pure spreadsheet based scouting into deep data analytics. Really impressive reviews.

Personally the Plovers have hired sam hinkie to combat other clubs football departments spending in this area.

Very good reviews, sr20 on point with his review of Yeo, will be a tackler or utility based on last year's form. Out of interest at, was Yeo rated 8 out of utilities available at my pick or 8 overall?

Dusty I am hoping can return to his 2017 form with no niggling injuries forcing him forward. Averaged >48 as an inside mid from my quick check

8th Overall - Grundy, Mitchell, Macrae, Cripps, Gawn, Oliver, DSmith, Yeo

Not that it matters now but Yeo was my first preference at my pick. Clearly all these former Dragons are hot property ;)

Zach Merrett averaged 95 as a utility in 2016 and 2017. Last year he was clearly down on form but the addition of Shiel and the Bombers' midfield dep, in general, should, well I'm expecting, see him bounce back from an average of 83. At 95, he's clearly a first round pick, actually if you were backing him, you'd carry him. He, along with Danger, Tich and Rocky, have been know as the big four in AFL Fastasy and Dream Team in previous years, and our system aligns reasonably with those. Merret will be our Utility this year and Tom Mitch will be Captain in a position. We wanted a utility capable of going big. Zach, in my opinion, is he.

Cheers amos and sr20 for your analysis. Love the time you've put in. Now just keep it going for the rest of the draft! :p

Statistical Review:
Round 1 (player 5)

8 Ross - genuine OM ranks 6th averaging almost 43. Handy second back if required averaging 40.5. Probably the best pick of the Round
Probably? :rolleyes:
Statistical Review:
Round 2 (player 6)

11 B.Crouch - statistically can't comment. Risk given injury history and there's more proven guys there that are less injury prone.
Agree he's a risk given his injury history, however when you have two picks in the space of four, and then a wait of 15 picks til your next one, you have to reach on players. If he stays injury free (see 2017) he averages 98.7 as a utility, 43 as an inside mid, 39 as a balanced mid, 40 as an outside mid and 35 as a tackler.

Worth the risk IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back