State of Origin Ampol State of Origin 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

The Blues deserved to win. They wanted it more which is sad when you look at what QLD were playing for. Whitewashes don't come around very often and the Maroons have let one slip tonight.

No surprise Cody Walker got man of the match. I thought Lindsay Collins would have got the Wally Lewis medal but Reuben Cotter getting it is fair enough.

Last edited:
That's now 13 years in a row where the series scoreline has been 2-1, that's actually a pretty crazy stat. Also only 1 of the last 23 series have been a clean sweep, also very surprising considering how good the 8 in a row side was.

That's now 13 years in a row where the series scoreline has been 2-1, that's actually a pretty crazy stat. Also only 1 of the last 23 series have been a clean sweep, also very surprising considering how good the 8 in a row side was.

In the run of 8 in a row, there were 5 deciders and 4 of those were won by 6 points or fewer.

Isn't Walker Koori (Yuin) and Murri (Bundjalung)?

The NRL care where he played his first rep game. That's literally their SoO criteria and can be the difference between playing for QLD or NSW.

I don't remember that. It was before my time, but that's not a State of Origin competition. That's a State of League competition. Arthur Beetson playing for NSW prior to 1980 is pretty ridiculous but those were the rules at the time and the NSWRL team unsurprisingly beat the BRL/QRL team on a regular basis. Once they changed it to a State of Origin competition in 1980 you saw the stronger state win the first five years straight and have been highly competitive ever since.

Walker was a Melb Strom Junior so he would have played in QLD during those days when he was coming through the system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AJ Brimson & Val had a shocker and Horsburgh wasn't used well I thought. QLD were lucky not to have gotten blown out cuz NSW played well and a lot more cohesively this time with their ball movement.

We struggled to contain the Blues attacking brand of footy and I don't think there should be any excuses given that they literally played with 3 men off the bench. Credit to Cody tho for outplaying Munster on the night, which made a big difference.

In hindsight, would've defo picked Ponga & Kaufusi for the game. We weren't very fluent on the night; a very ordinary performance. Felt weird because we did win the series but should've played a lot better even if we didn't get the result.

Does Cam Smith commentate on 9 throughout the season? I thought he hated ch9 after the hatchet job they did on him - is he just a sell out?

Walker was a Melb Strom Junior so he would have played in QLD during those days when he was coming through the system
I'm guessing you're basing that on Greg Inglis' decision to pick Queensland due to similar circumstances making him eligible for both states before the NRL made the selection criteria clear. I tend to agree with you. If he was in Melbourne back in 2008 with guys like Inglis, Folau, Smith, Cronk, Slater etc then I'm sure he would have picked Queensland if it was an option.

I forgot about the game until last night, and then watched it, didn't know the score or the teams. And I thought, Bradman Best? He's not even in the top half of NRL centres, surely someone better is Blues-eligible? And I still hold to that view, but the lad had a decent game, and it would be churlish not to be pleased for him. But Jeez, there is some brain-dead play: captain's challenge, poorly used by both sides, and how often do we see it? Creighton, who generally had a good game, chasing the ball like a loon when he was miles in front of the kicker, and giving away a soft pen? I thought Moses worked hard, and I struggle with the antipathy shown to him generally here. Club loyalty aside, and I don't have skin in the game here, he is as good as Cleary in my book.

I'm guessing you're basing that on Greg Inglis' decision to pick Queensland due to similar circumstances making him eligible for both states before the NRL made the selection criteria clear. I tend to agree with you. If he was in Melbourne back in 2008 with guys like Inglis, Folau, Smith, Cronk, Slater etc then I'm sure he would have picked Queensland if it was an option.

Well he didn't and that's why he is playing for NSW

You presumed he wanted to represent QLD when he never did as he is a Koori

Does Cam Smith commentate on 9 throughout the season? I thought he hated ch9 after the hatchet job they did on him - is he just a sell out?
Yes he does. He puts in little effort and quite clearly does not know the rules but yes he does commentate.

Well he didn't and that's why he is playing for NSW

You presumed he wanted to represent QLD when he never did as he is a Koori
Correct. He's a Blue now. Probably had the choice back in the day but neither state chose him so he got assigned NSW when the rules changed.

Also, he's both Koori (Yuin) and Murri (Bundjalung) so I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back