State of Origin Ampol State of Origin 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair call, Cleary basically just kicks a high bomb on tackle 5 every single time. Surely he’s not that boring at club land given they actually win games?

The one that bothered me with Luai was in the first when they stuffed around on tackle 5, he got the ball under pressure and instead of kicking it he threw it back to Cleary and they got tackled.

He did start kicking in the second half, but it seemed very ‘Cleary is kicking everything, I can’t kick.’
That play you're referring to was hands down the worst bit of play all night from the halves. Cleary touched it twice with no kick, Luai once. Just not good enough.

My biggest issue with Luai (and he does it at club level) is in attack, he does this very quick stop/start motion - which can confuse defenders but the stop also means every one of his teammates then overrun him. Forces him to then go himself. Only something small but it completely ruins an attacking play.

I get the whole "combo in the pairs" and in my opinion having one preferred kicker isnt a bad thing. The best combos usually have a runner and a kicker but both guys are capable of both (Queensland have sort of always had that).

I think the issue with Luai and Cleary is neither really has anything dynamic. Munster can break lines and fend and DCE found a 40/20 last night, i cant really recall the NSW pair really doing anything like that. Luai is safe and has some line breaks to his name. Cleary has become a complete game manager with all attacking flair just about killed.

DCE is the QLD game manager for the most part and Munster is the game breaker. NSW needs someone to do that, might be Hynes im not sure but it cant just be mercurial fullbacks and wingers expected to do it all.

The 🤡 was QLDs best player in the first half with the bunker backing him all the way with their ‘inconclusive evidence’ calls.
You can't blame the ref for that one. There was no proof on camera that the ball touched the ground, and clearly Taulagi's hand was underneath. I understand the frustration because of how close it was, but watching live I said no try straight away even tho I felt it would be rly close bc I knew there was a hand under there. Don't think it was as ridiculous as that sin bin. Who sin bins someone for a head clash? lol typical NSW born and bred

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NSW Game 2 Team - what we're screaming for:

1 - Edwards, 2 - Suaalii, 3 - Graham, 4 - Staggs, 5 - Johnston, 6 - Walker, 7 - Johns, 8 - Andrew Fifita, 9 - Robson, 10 - Suluka Fifita (to take out David while you're at it), 11 - Brandy, 12 - Tamou, 13 - Gallen, 14 - Cooper Johns, 15 - Matty Johns, 16 - Phil Gould, 17 - Mat Thompson

Player of the series - Matty Thompson for a 90 metre intercept try to ice the game for the mighty blues

You can't blame the ref for that one. There was no proof on camera that the ball touched the ground, and clearly Taulagi's hand was underneath. I understand the frustration because of how close it was, but watching live I said no try straight away even tho I felt it would be rly close bc I knew there was a hand under there. Don't think it was as ridiculous as that sin bin. Who sin bins someone for a head clash? lol typical NSW born and bred

Yet if that was a QLD player, 🤡 gives the try and the bunker is unable to overrule. It clearly hits the ground between the arms.

But there was also the challenge the bunker couldn’t overturn Klein missing the obvious hand from the QLD player which would have been set restart 1m out instead of a handover.

1 - Latrell
2 - JAC
3 - Crichton
4 - Graham
5 - To'o
6 - Walker
7 - Hynes
8 - Haas
9 - Api
10 - J Trbojevic
11 - Martin
12 - Frizell
13 - Murray

14 - Cook
15 - Paulo
16 - Yeo
17 - Burton

18 - ???
Who would you have as captain?

Yet if that was a QLD player, 🤡 gives the try and the bunker is unable to overrule. It clearly hits the ground between the arms.

But there was also the challenge the bunker couldn’t overturn Klein missing the obvious hand from the QLD player which would have been set restart 1m out instead of a handover.
What about the knock on from Api that wasn’t paid or the ridiculous sin bin both were much much worse than two calls that essentially were inconclusive to overturn the onfield decision.

Refs were fine, the only really bad one was the sin bin.

The fact that we’re 9 pages in and literally no one but you has mentioned bad reffing should tell you something.

What about the knock on from Api that wasn’t paid or the ridiculous sin bin both were much much worse than two calls that essentially were inconclusive to overturn the onfield decision.

The fact that we’re 9 pages in and literally no one but you has mentioned bad reffing should tell you something.

Yep. Hate Klein but bar the Sin bin (which isn’t his call it’s the bunker) the ref was very good let the game flow and allowed a little bit of the usual Origin niggle.

With the forum going down I couldn't post much, but yes, reffed like a standard SoO game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back